Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could my past bad eating habits have done any damage?

• 07-02-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Need some opinions on this.

I'm 19 yrs old, almost 20. I have only just recently changed my eating habits for the better but I'm worried my old habits might have affected my health negatively in some way or might cause a future problem.

Between about 17 and 19 I never ate breakfast in the morning. Nothing. Instead I would have some coffee. I never ate until lunch, and even then, not very much. It was only at dinner, when I would have an appetite worked up, that I ate a large amount. I would eat later at night as well and drink whiskey, vodka, rum, gin.... All the nasty stuff.. I would do this regularly..

I have only just come to my senses a few months ago and since have changed to more normal eating patterns (as well as cutting the coffee and alcohol). However, due to the fact that I went through my bad eating and drinking habits during my late teens, I'm concerned that I might have prevented myself from reaching my optimum growth potential or affected my brain or general health in some way..

All feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The main thing is the drinking, since alcohol can permanently kill brain and liver cells. However, the body has a great capacity for recovery, so it will do it's best to get over the effects.

Although it's good to eat breakfast and regular meals, you are not damaging your body by not doing so. In fact, there's a practice called Intermittent Fasting, which is intended to copy the eating habits of hunter-gatherers, where you normally don't eat anything in the morning, then eat a couple of big meals in late afternoon or early evening, and nothing at night. There are some health benefits to this and very few problems.

The real problem with not eating early is that you can binge eat later. Someone who didn't eat breakfast or lunch may just all evening long as they feel they have lots of calories to spare.

Bad eating habits may make you unfit but only true starvation will stop you growing to the height your genes have planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Yeah I did drink quite heavily. I'm glad I stopped earlier rather than later. I just really hope I will recover from that.

It's good to hear that my growth hasn't been affected.

And that Intermittent Fasting is interesting. Wasn't aware of it. I'll have to look it up (not that I'm going to do it).

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement