Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for some feedback for my new photography website

• 07-02-2009 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of building a photography website to display my work. It's not quite finished yet but it is close enough to completion.

I would appreciate any feedback, comments, suggestions etc.

How do you find the design, colour scheme, layout, ease of use etc.

I am particularly interested in your comments on the "gallery" section and the "slideshows" section.

Which did you find easier / nicer to use ?

Should I include both perhaps to give a choice ?

If there is anything you would change, please tell me.

Anyway any feedback is appreciated.

Barry

Link - http://www.barryocarroll.com/index.htm

I will be adding to the "articles and tips" section soon and hope to include some basic guides to concepts such as aperture, shutter speed, iso as well as composition and photoshop tutorials among other things. The book review will provide information about some of the better photography books out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Nice, I like it.

One thing I would do is dump the h1 text 'barry o carroll photography' and remove 'The website of an Irish photographer' from the graphic. One is repetition (even if you want the h1 for SEO) and the other is a weak statement of the obvious. Doing this would also enable you to pull the rest of the page up so that none of the really nice photo dips below the fold (i.e. we get to see the full image with no need to scroll down).

I like to have the choice of gallery or slideshow, thx.

Overall it's a nice and tidy site and I hope you get good business out of it.

Spelling mistake: Les Visiteus
    To good a film for you to drop the r.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Definatly change the header/banner thing. It looks really bad. Having something twice for no real reason, and the Irish photographer thing... it just, tbh, looks quite nooby.

Also I can see jaggies on the letters, it's not been exported at a high enough quality, or else its not Anti-aliased for reading..

And ehm, Personal opinion but I think the bio page looks like those little ones youd see on bebo or myspace.

I'd say change it to a paragraph or three of writing.

I'm just about to have dinner, so i'll have another look after.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭XLR8

The HTML doesn't validate, neither does the CSS.
    The red is too distracting/blinding
    I'd probably use ajax or flash for the gallery or at least have the main picture on the same page. People want instant gratification these days and don't like clicking the back button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Hmmm, hopefully I fixed the double title problem. If anyone can confirm that the title looks ok to them I'd appreciate it. I agree about the "The website of an Irish photographer " bit and I'll remove it from the finished article.

The point about the bio is well taken too and is infact simply copy pasted from an earlier profile. As you say, I'll replace with a few paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭XLR8

The image on the index is over 600KB.. about 10X too big. I wouldn't use anything over 100KB on the index. Too many people still on dial-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cupcakeseven

Hi barry,

I had a look at your website. The shots are excellent, I would as everyone else has said to get rid of the website of Irish photographer. I would also change the type font of your name and I would tidy up the initial gallery page - where the shots are stacked as to me , it doesnt look professional enough ?

Best of luck with it, as I say , you have some fantastic shots. well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

I've taken on those suggestions (much appreciated btw) and made a few changes.

* Removed "The website of an Irish Photographer" bit

* Solved the issue of the title appearing twice

* Reduced the height of the title banner

* Deleted the bio to be relaced soon

Any other comments/suggestions welcome.

Site with changes

http://www.barryocarroll.com/

Advertisement