Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Is Montoya not available?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

G.K. wrote: »
    Is Montoya not available?

You are right, they could go for a back four with Montoya, Mascherano, Puyol and Adriano. Pep has gone for a 3-4-3 a few times this season and he might go with it again seeing as they are playing at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

dagdha wrote: »
    You are right, they could go for a back four with Montoya, Mascherano, Puyol and Adriano. Pep has gone for a 3-4-3 a few times this season and he might go with it again seeing as they are playing at home.

The only flaw I see with the 3-4-3 is that Barca still seem to have to revert to 4-3-3 when defending. That reversion time leaves them that little bit extra vulnerable. However, I think the pay off in possession and stamina is something Pep is obviously considering. Have to say, I love the way Pep has tinkered with just about everything that was considered traditional in football.

Valdés, Puyol, Mascherano, Busquets, Adriano, Xavi, Iniesta, Alexis, Pedro, Messi, Cuenca

Strikes me as a 3-3-Messi-3 but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Gotta love Barca - playing with one outright defender. I expect them to maul Getafe tonight and hopefully Atletico get something tomorrow night. Jose to win nothing this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Great strike from Alexis, Messi very quiet so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

dfx- wrote: »
    Great strike from Alexis, Messi very quiet so far.

Not anymore! 2 - 0 :) Great touch by Andres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Just watching the HT highlights, could be 5-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

4 nil, 2 headers for Barca. :eek:

Sanchez and Pedro.

• Advertisement

1 Point.

C'mon Atlético Madrid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

delighted to see Sanchez scoring again
    one of my fav players to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

eZe^ wrote: »
    Atletico. ;) (can be bothered with the accent over the e though) :P

My bad... fixed! Rushed it out of sheer delight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

SeantheMan wrote: »

good god! Pele was a great player but he should keep his mouth shut at times

Have to love Eric Abidal. His liver transplant was only hours before and here he was, in the Barca dressing room a few minutes ago. Puyol just posted a pic on his Facebook (although it ight have been taken ages ago)

Either way the unity of their dressing room is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Barcelona players show support with barbecue at Eric Abidal's house

The French full-back underwent surgery on Tuesday for a liver transplant and his team-mates joined him over the weekend to wish him luck

11 Apr 2012 11:04:00

172240.jpg
    178397hp2.jpg

There he is! Eric Abidal is acting the bouncer and removing the belligerent Gerard Pique from his pool-side BBQ on Sunday. Barcelona's French full-back underwent surgery on Tuesday but as the pictures show, he was in good spirits prior to the operation.

Abidal received the liver transplant from his cousin Gerard in what is hoped to be the end of his health issues. Pep Guardiola dedicated his side's 4-0 win over Getafe on Tuesday night to Abidal.

178398hp2.jpg
    Cut above | Abidal serves up grub for his guests
    The 32-year-old defender was diagnosed with liver cancer in March 2011 and had an operation to remove a tumour. By May, Abidal was back playing for Barcelona and completed the entire match against Manchester United in the Champions League final.

In a special moment, Abidal was handed the captain's armband and given the chance to lift the trophy at Wembley following a performance dedicated to him.

And on Sunday, Pique, a good friend of Abidal's, clearly enjoyed the occasion, hopping into the Frenchman's swimming pool after what looked a hearty meal.
    178395hp2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pele is an absolute buffoon.
    Great player but his knowledge of the game is cringeworthy.
    He used to have a review/preview show on Eurosport during the World Cup in 1994.
    It was hilarious stuff,he hadnt a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Finally.

Afellay given the green light :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Finally.

Afellay given the green light :)

Hope he can be given some minutes against Levante :D

Guardiola has said again he's sure he will get enough playing time between now and end of season, I'm hoping for some minutes against Levante too if the game is wrapped up!

Just mentioned this in another thread, but Valdés, Alexis, Keita and maybe Thiago are one yellow away from suspension. Obviously Valdés and Alexis are most important for the clásico. Guardiola said he's playing Valdés and if he's suspended, no problem. But would you lads risk Alexis?

• Advertisement

I would. He's hit and miss a lot of the times.
    But he is obviously more reliable than Cuenca (and especially Tello)

I can see myself already screaming at Tello for doing a quadruple stepover and missing a passing opportunity by attempting a shot if he gets a game vs Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

how is cescy getting on over there ye theiving backstards :p havent had the time or ability to watch that much live footie anymore so havent kept up on his progress.

Well lads ain't it funny how the time goes? Thought Masch played fantastically tonight read game almost perfectly.

Maybe Barça's most important win this season (excluding clásico). Good preparation for Chelsea too.
    how is cescy getting on over there ye theiving backstards :p havent had the time or ability to watch that much live footie anymore so havent kept up on his progress.

I think it will take up to two seasons for him to settle fully. To get what Barça expect from him.
    Jernal wrote: »
    Well lads ain't it funny how the time goes? Thought Masch played fantastically tonight read game almost perfectly.

Good piece on him here http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/sid-lowe-mascheranos-backward-step-drives-barcelona-forward-3081293.html

Maybe Barça's most important win this season (exclusing clásico). Good preparation for Chelsea too.

Good piece on him here http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/sid-lowe-mascheranos-backward-step-drives-barcelona-forward-3081293.html

Judging by the Chelsea in the last four games they should be a cake walk for Barca. I keep expecting them to step it up, and I suspect they will but really being realistic I can see Barca trouncing them if Chelsea bring their current form to the bridge. Expecting a cagey affair though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

If they get referee decisions like that then it doesn't matter if it's a world XI vs Chelsea, we're doomed.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Neutral here but losing Luiz will be a big blow. Terry's old and slow and Cahill isnt the fastest either so the loss of Luiz's pace at CB will mean they'll have a real job staying with Messi. Unless they sit very deep he's getting in behind them and if they sit deep and wait it out against Barca they will get caught sooner or later, it simply doesn't work.

spiralism wrote: »
    Unless they sit very deep

It really is the only way to play against Barca in a knock out tie, if you go toe to toe then you'll get destroyed. Chelsea will put 10 men around the 18 yard box and use Drogba as a battering ram upfront. Fair enough really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Luiz is no loss at all, he is too much of a risk in a game where Chelsea will be on the defensive for most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

kryogen wrote: »
    Luiz is no loss at all, he is too much of a risk in a game where Chelsea will be on the defensive for most of it.

He's been very good of late and his pace means he'd be able to stay with messi if he didn't lose his concentration... but we can only speculate. Only means that if at any point chelsea are having a bit of a spell and barca break from it they'll be in real trouble. They'll need a goal or two in this tie and when they move away from sitting 10 in their half with drogba on his own up top to try and get one, having a sluggish CB pairing of terry/cahill could really get them caught out.

• Advertisement

Disagree, he's proved to be excellent in Europe.

Bring on the Chelsea. I'd really love for us to embarrass them over two legs, but they are the English team perfectly set up to frustrate us over two legs. Their midfield is gash, but they'll just bypass that and let Mata/ Drogba work their magic up top while defending resolutely. Let's hope Messi has a repeat of his first performance at stamford bridge 6 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Messi has been in poor scoring form in away games this season, do you guys think he can score in London?

Well I dunno. Over 60 goals this season... hmm not sure :rolleyes:

Messi has been in poor scoring form in away games this season, do you guys think he can score in London?

Doubt it, he's rubbish in big games afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

He has 20 away goals, more than Chelsea's top scorer has both home and away in all comps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Yes because it is'nt Stoke. If it was Stoke he'd be rightly fcuked.

The squad arrived in London last night with 18 first team players and 4 from the reserves (Oier, Montoya, Bartra and Tello). It's great to see that Afellay travelled with the squad for the first time since he got injured in September, I doubt he will get some minutes unless Barca are in a comfortable position with 10 or 15 minutes to play which I can't see happening, I think it's going to be a tight enough game although I hope I'm wrong and I hope Barca get out of there with a 2 goal lead but I can see it being a scored draw.

On paper Barca should win but games are'nt played on paper and anything can happen and the Chelsea players will be well up for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would not be too disappointed with a score draw in truth. In fact, I would be quite happy with a score draw.

It would be lovely to take away to 2 goal lead (or more) to make the 2nd leg a formality. Highly unlikely that will happen though.

• Advertisement

Got me a ticket for the Copa Del Rey final :D, flight booked n all :D:)
    On a sidenote, tonights match will be a cracker I hope...I think Madrid will do it

How many first team defenders are unavailable?

G.K. wrote: »
    How many first team defenders are unavailable?

Abidal is the only first team defender missing. Pique and Alves were missing from the game at the weekend but should be available tomorrow night.

Are any carrying cards ?
    I wouldn't be suprised that "if" we qualify, 1 or 2 will be missing the final.

Are any carrying cards ?
    I wouldn't be suprised that "if" we qualify, 1 or 2 will be missing the final.

Puyol and Mascherano are the only ones a yellow card away from a suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

eZe^ wrote: »
    Bring on the Chelsea. I'd really love for us to embarrass them over two legs, but they are the English team perfectly set up to frustrate us over two legs. Their midfield is gash, but they'll just bypass that and let Mata/ Drogba work their magic up top while defending resolutely. Let's hope Messi has a repeat of his first performance at stamford bridge 6 years ago!

I'm fairly sure Torres will start. I don't think Drogba would have started on Sunday if the plan was to play him v Barca, although his fantastic performance may have changed things.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    I would not be too disappointed with a score draw in truth. In fact, I would be quite happy with a score draw.

Critical to score, a scoring defeat wouldn't be nightmarish, but I fear something like 2-0. That'll be difficult - 'old decrepid' Chelsea or not.

Ideally, if I was given a free choice, 1-3 would be excellent, moreso than 0-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

dfx- wrote: »
    Critical to score, a scoring defeat wouldn't be nightmarish, but I fear something like 2-0. That'll be difficult - 'old decrepid' Chelsea or not.

Ideally, if I was given a free choice, 1-3 would be excellent, moreso than 0-2.

Any win tomorrow will see Barca through because Chelsea won't get a sniff of a win at the Nou Camp. At best they'll get a score draw there and that's quite unlikely.

I think Keita will probably get a start tomorrow. I really like Keita but anytime he starts Barca always struggle to create as many chances as they normally do especially because it normally means Iniesta is put out on the left wing where he is'nt anywhere near as effective as he is when playing in the middle with Xavi and Busquets.

On the other hand, it rules out one of Pep's favourite (and irritating) substitutions when in the lead in these games: Keita on, striker off...usually Villa or now Sanchez.

Anyone get the sneaking suspicion that Mou was saving his team for Saturday night. In fairness from a Real point of view he better have been. Madrid's form hasn't been good as of late and if they play like tonight Barca could potentially hockey them. (Especially if they get their clinical finishing back)

• Advertisement
Advertisement