Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chygrynskiy is a player Guardiola desperately wants for one reason or another. It was like the Ibrahimovic situation, Pep got it in his head that the team needed a tall strong CF that was also skillful enough on the ball to integrate into Barca's team. He is so convinced this'll make the team better that he got rid of a 30 goal a season striker in Eto'o, so I think it's best to let Pep get who he wants, at least he is very sure of what the team needs to continue progressing.

I think it's really interesting to look at the Ibrahimovic signing as a test for the team too. Last year they won everything, and instead of letting the team get complacent and comfortable in the way they play, he has added a completely different styled striker to the team. This way the entire team has to get used to playing a different style, so they are learning, perhaps suffering a little, by exploring how to best use Zlatan. His hold up play is absolutely breathtaking, that one moment in the Supercopa where he chested and scissors kicked Messi's cross was absolutely sublime, he has the potential to be fantastic.

Puyol wouldn't make Barca's first XI if we were looking at pure footballing ability, because I think Pique/ Marquez/ Henrique all have attributes that Puyol doesn't, however, none of them can marshall the team and play with as much passion. Puyol is the leader of the team. The Chygrynskiy signing would also mean that Marquez could again be deployed in a DMF role, which will allow Toure more room to attack.

Has anybody noticed how much of an absolute BEAST Toure has become, he is starting to get really confident in the team, and his attack is becoming as good as his defense. At times he is THE most influential midfielder in the team, dominating everything, I can seriously see him surprising alot of people next year, he may turn out to be a better version of Essien. (I say MAY)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ive been saying that Toure was possibly the MVP of the latter 3rd of last season. He was absolutely immense no matter where he played. Superb in defense, and his goal in the Copa final would have pleased Iniesta or Messi or whoever. His contract renewal, for me, was the signing of the summer.

The whole Chygrnskiy affair remains to be seen how it plays out. Guardiola has done nothing to make us not trust him yet, so why start now.

As regards to Henrique, it seems Pep does not rate him. he did not get a single minute in pre season, so cannot see him getting any real game time. Perhaps use him as a Copa Del Rey player as the fixture congestion around Jan/Feb/March is going to be unreal.

gimmick wrote: »
    As regards to Henrique, it seems Pep does not rate him. he did not get a single minute in pre season, so cannot see him getting any real game time. Perhaps use him as a Copa Del Rey player as the fixture congestion around Jan/Feb/March is going to be unreal.

He played in that Wembley cup thing, and was excellent, him and Muniesa were VERY impressive in defence, but they haven't seen pitch time since...

Muniesa got a few games did he not?

Not enough to warrant much confidence really. Compared to Pedro and Jeffren for example. Not to worry though, we have the best cantera in the world, and they'll get their chance to prove themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Looks like Dmytro Chygrynskiy will sign after all...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5516771,00.html

Ibrahimovic will get to go straight back and play against his former club in the champions league, interesting...

Well, what do ye reckon of the CL group? There should be no problems in getting out of it, its just the amount of travel is worrying having to go to Ukraine and Russia.

The Inter games should be fun though. I think Eto'o will get a good reception at the Camp Nou, he should certainly given what he achieved at the club. Not sure how Ibra will be received at the San Siro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Well, what do ye reckon of the CL group? There should be no problems in getting out of it, its just the amount of travel is worrying having to go to Ukraine and Russia.

The Inter games should be fun though. I think Eto'o will get a good reception at the Camp Nou, he should certainly given what he achieved at the club. Not sure how Ibra will be received at the San Siro.

Its not bad but could be easier when you see the other groups. That said Barca are the best team in Europe and should top this group. It would be good to see them break Mourinho's home record of 4 or 5 years unbeaten.

Ibra will not get a good reception at Inter whereas Eto'o will at Camp Nou.

We signed Chygrinskiy, nice to see some good defensive signings to wrap up the transfer window...

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada09-10/08/n090827106392.html

He'll sign right after the super cup. Let's hope he throws the game so his new team can add a trophy to this years list... =P

The CL group is an exciting one, we have a tough group in that there is a European power house, as well as difficult away games in Russia / Ukraine. It'll be a nice balanced test of Pep's squad. Inter are actually perfectly tailored to beating Barcelona, they have a midfield void of creativity(Muntari, Cambiasso, Vieira), but perfect for stifling the likes of Xavi and Iniesta, Toure will be vital. And Mourinho loves to have a good go at Barca, should be a fantastic tie... I just hope Materazzi doesn't attempt one of his leg breaking specials on Messi.

All in all a nice group, a good test of this team and hopefully we can qualify in first place.

laportanews318.jpg

http://www.fcbarcelonanews.com/laporta-on-final-barca-transfers/

Not sure are these permanent deals or not. Not surprised Gudjonnsen wants out. He needs to be playing as he does not have an awful lot left on his clock, and he was never going to be a regular at the Camp Nou.

Regarding Robinho, I just don't like him. Ill be glad to not have him at Barca.

• Advertisement

Robinho would be an utterly appaling signing, to say the least.

ARRRISSSEEEE JESUSSSSSSS!!!

chygrynskiypicturebarca.jpg

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5616727,00.html

Arsenal looking at Puyol? His contract expires in June, so is free to talk to whomever in January. Personally I would have for Barca to lose him, as I disagree with anyone who says Marquez is a better player.

Good move for Arsenal if they could bag him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5616727,00.html

Arsenal looking at Puyol? His contract expires in June, so is free to talk to whomever in January. Personally I would have for Barca to lose him, as I disagree with anyone who says Marquez is a better player.

Good move for Arsenal if they could bag him.

Not really. He is past his prime, he is 31 will be 32 if the transfer goes ahead. He is certainly not the player he used to be. He lacks speed and would struggle in the EPL.
    That on top of the fact Wenger only offers 1 year contracts to over 30's means I can't see this going ahead.

A good experienced centre half who has won it all could only be of benefit to a young Arsenal side.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not really. He is past his prime, he is 31 will be 32 if the transfer goes ahead. He is certainly not the player he used to be. He lacks speed and would struggle in the EPL.

Guess you haven't watched him at all this season then? He has actually been probably the most dominant CB in the world in the past 4 games I've watched him. Performed absolutely excellently when his place in the team was being challenged by the youngsters. And Arsenal lack a proper experienced leader like Puyol, he'd make arsenal a better team in most departments.

He'll never leave though, it's the same as the Xavi contract negotiation, it's being unnecessarily complicated, but eventually he'll be given a new deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

eZe^ wrote: »
    Guess you haven't watched him at all this season then? He has actually been probably the most dominant CB in the world in the past 4 games I've watched him. Performed absolutely excellently when his place in the team was being challenged by the youngsters. And Arsenal lack a proper experienced leader like Puyol, he'd make arsenal a better team in most departments.

He'll never leave though, it's the same as the Xavi contract negotiation, it's being unnecessarily complicated, but eventually he'll be given a new deal.

i agree with all but thae bolded part. william gallas is a leader no matter his past actions.
    however there's no doubt that Puyol would give a super example to young players and improve their games.

The MeeJaa are reporting Robinho is on the way to Barcelona in January, with Puyol and Henry going the opposite direction.

I reckon whatever about Robinho in, something I would be loathe to - showpony, Puyol and Henry certainly will not be going anywhere, at least not in January. Pep has said on many occassions that his squad is on the small side, so why would he lose 2 players to gain one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Puyol and Henry certainly will not be going anywhere
    Puyol is obviously playing the classic footballer's trick of pimping himself to other teams in order to get a better contract.

As for Henry, I wouldn't be so sure about him. If Barca do get their hands on Robinho, all of a sudden you have a line-up of Messi/Ibrahimovic/Robinho. I can't see Henry willing to play second fiddle to that.

• Advertisement

Maybe next summer, but not in January. The fixture congestion Barca could face in the first half of 2010 could be incredible with the World Club Cup, La Liga, Champions league, Copa Del Rey. I could see Henry being happy to play as a squad player for those few months as no doubt he would want to be a part of a CL double squad, especially given the location of the final.

I agree re Puyol though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

tbf I wouldn't want Puyol at Arsenal next year.
    What's the point of buying someone to compete with Gallas and maybe even replace him eventually when he's not much younger than him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I know it's been 2 weeks but here is Pedros goal against Almeria if anyone hasn't seen it, it's magnificent.

Jaysis, Barca have not won in 2 and have only scored 2 goals in three games. This must be the biggest crisis of Peps career :p

Hopefully last night will show the players that just showing up is not what is just necessary. Zaragosa are not a bad side and play like last night again, and it will be a similar result.

Pedro needs to step up a notch, Pique has to stop thinking he is Messi, maxwell has to try and push Abidal for competition.

With that said, I hope Bojan gets the nod ahead of Pedro at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Keita confirmed out for 10 days after swelling in his medial ligament so wont travel to Africa which should be of benefit. Anyone realise Barca can be eliminated from the Champions league during the next match day if the are beaten by Inter and Rubin beat Kiev! Very surprising reality which I havent seen mentioned anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

redout wrote: »
    Keita confirmed out for 10 days after swelling in his medial ligament so wont travel to Africa which should be of benefit. Anyone realise Barca can be eliminated from the Champions league during the next match day if the are beaten by Inter and Rubin beat Kiev! Very surprising reality which I havent seen mentioned anywhere.
    They can't be can they? Go to last game and goal difference or will head to head do it or something

• Advertisement

CHD wrote: »
    They can't be can they? Go to last game and goal difference or will head to head do it or something

They can be eliminated which is surprising

Regulations of the UEFA Champions League

6.05 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group
    matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:
    a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the
    teams in question;
    b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams
    in question;
    c) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches
    played among the teams in question;
    d) superior goal difference from all group matches played;
    e) higher number of goals scored;
    f) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question,
    as well as its association, over the previous five seasons (see paragraph
    8.02).

If what I said occurs Rubin have the better head to head record with a win and a draw. Quite surprising but true none the less. Barca have been very ordinary this season. There last game is also away to Kiev so they have a big task ahead of them.

If Barca can't beat Inter at home then they can have no complaints, really. Will be pretty tough though, I'd expect Inter to 'park the bus', but Barca have enough quality to win.

Welcome back Redout. Been too long

Slash/ED wrote: »
    If Barca can't beat Inter at home then they can have no complaints, really. Will be pretty tough though, I'd expect Inter to 'park the bus', but Barca have enough quality to win.

Aye. Mourinho will obviously be looking to avoid defeat at all costs especially against Barca but also because defeat could them in a very tricky situation also should Rubin win. The thing is you just know Mourinho will have his team setup just right. Barca will be in for a tough week as the play El Clasico against Real just 3 days after the Inter game.

5 Barca players in the Spain squad announced this afternoon to play Argentina next saturday night at the Calderon.

Puyol, Pique, Xavi, Busquets and San Andrés.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Big night for Ibra Vs Inter next time out in CL. Can he perform on the big occasion and silence the doubters?

Barca-Inter should be a belter. The Real game is fast approaching as well. Pedro has turned out to be a star this year and with Henry continuing to play poorly it must be only a matter of time before he is dropped to the bench.

Ibrahimovic just confirmed out for a week and so will miss this weeks Copa del Rey game though I doubt he was going to be playing anyway. Something about a muscle in his left leg.

Warper wrote: »
    Henry continuing to play poorly it must be only a matter of time before he is dropped to the bench.

Henry played quite well against Mallorrca the other night. Its good that there is such competition upfront. Keeps them all on their toes. I just hope Ibra is fit for the Inter and Real games.

Ibra kicking Henry up the arse for diving in and stealing his goal this weekend. LoL

[IMG][/img]2hge439.gif

Yeah and that Iniesta isn't forced to play in the front 3, Barca are so much less effective than when he's in the middle 3

Henry played quite well against Mallorrca the other night. Its good that there is such competition upfront. Keeps them all on their toes. I just hope Ibra is fit for the Inter and Real games.

Aye he played well which isnt good news for Ireland especially getting a goal this weekend will give him his confidence back no doubt. He has been injured for a while but young Pedro has really took his opportunity. Rumours of tension between Henry and Pep of late.

Well this is the first time in 10 years that Henry is not guaranteed his place in a starting XI, so he will not like that.

All things being equal, everyone being fit for a big game I'd expect Henry to start. The fact that it seems Robinho has all but signed can't be helping him though

^ Robinho? Really? :mad:

Agreed Re Henry. He was immense last season, he will not have slowed too much since then. If her is fully fit I want to see him start against both Inter and Real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

On paper Robinho would fit perfectly in that left side attacker role but I don't think his attitude is great. Why not go for Juan Mata, I think he has been linked.

I think Robinho might sign on loan in January but signing permanently will depend on the financial package.

Loan deal with the option to make permanent in january by all accounts. I was initially against it, but it somewhat makes sense...Decent cover where Barca could do with cover (Though Bojan and Pedro may disagree), no transfer fee and can play in europe...

Pedro looks good enough and should be given time to replace Henry without shelling out €35 Million. Its also the Barca way.

I reckon Bojan showed real signs of progress before his injury at the start of this season also

I hope Pep doesnt go for Robinho. He has created trouble everywhere he has played so I just cant understand why he would want him. Robinho is a class player but would create bucket-loads of friction in the dressing-room. That said he would be a great loan signing for a few months as he always starts off well before getting fed up with everything. Just dont get too attached to the guy.

I dont understand the Robinho thing either. He hardly lit the world on fire whilst at Real Madrid and when City payed over £30 Million all I could see was Calderon and co. laughing all the way to the bank.

I think as a 6 month loan deal it's fine, a permanent signing in summer I wouldn't like. Especially if Valencia are forced to sell this summer as people seem to be suggesting, means there'd be far better talent available and less disruptive talent at that, something Pep obviously values highly as Eto'os talent wasn't enough to keep him around for long once he took over

Reports today claiming Toure agent is stating Toure may be looking for a transfer after only starting 4 games so far this term although he has ruled out a move to Man City. Toure is seemingly pissed after just signing a new contract in the summer whilst Busquets and Keita enjoy more game time. Also talk of Ibrahimovic possibly retiring from international football. Seemingly asked by the new manager he told him he was not sure of what he wants to do and will think about it. I reckon he must be pissed the Swedes didnt make the world cup

I dont understand the Robinho thing either. He hardly lit the world on fire whilst at Real Madrid and when City payed over £30 Million all I could see was Calderon and co. laughing all the way to the bank.

Jaysus, where have you been redout? Been gone for the best part of 6 months.
    Reports today claiming Toure agent is stating Toure may be looking for a transfer after only starting 4 games so far this term although he has ruled out a move to Man City. Toure is seemingly pissed after just signing a new contract in the summer whilst Busquets and Keita enjoy more game time. Also talk of Ibrahimovic possibly retiring from international football. Seemingly asked by the new manager he told him he was not sure of what he wants to do and will think about it. I reckon he must be pissed the Swedes didnt make the world cup

Ibra made a statement when joining Barcelona that if Barca wanted, after this world cup qualifying campaign he'd consider retiring from the Swedish team so that he could fully concentrate on being a success with Barca. Pretty dedicated of the guy, don't know if he will though, Sweden have a good enough team.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Jaysus, where have you been redout? Been gone for the best part of 6 months.

6 month ban brother right before the Champions league final!

Advertisement