Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

qyqAGLi.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

2-0 Ajax - goal was coming, Barcelona look hopeless.

Barcelona are shockingly poor tonight. Almost full a strength midfield, but Cesc, and our defence isn’t doing anything for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

miralize wrote: »
    Barcelona are shockingly poor tonight. Almost full a strength midfield, but Cesc, and our defence isn’t doing anything for them.

I for one an glad this result can come now, even with the injuries it shows every thing is not rosey and there is still work to be done!

At times, it was like watch a training game where one side HAD to build from the back. Where's the high passing tempo? the fluidity? the variety? the desire to win? Barca were left wanting tonight. I still reckon we need another option upfront. The crossing this season has been damn good and if we had some one to get on the end of even half of them and cause some danger we would be coasting! Finally, that exact defensive line up must never be replicated again in a away Champs league game. Teams with more pace would destroy us..

edit: its not all as crisis as ^ that's sounds really, I guess it's only fair to list a positive. More play time for some youngsters and Neymar showed tonight he will fight tooth and nail for his team.

Neymar was so good, surprising considering how we played. Cesc & Pedro did nothing. Pique was reckless, cant blame Puyol for being thrust in there for some experience but Patric played with a lot more .. pace. :P Still on for an unbeaten league season so I'm glad the loss came in a somewhat unimportant CL group game.

Following on from my post in the la liga thread I have some issues i'd be interested to hear what fellow fans have to say!

Briefly cause its already been mentioned. Tata appears to be making small, but collectively woeful team selection mistakes. I've already said i don't think Xavi should have started both the midweek game and/or last night. Also I believe Barta on form is superior to Masch atm in every way!

Some thing that's been on my mind allot too is how people know what to expect from us. We have seen over the years how teams come at us with a match plan that just stifles our rhythm and makes it difficult for us to play our passing game. This has become known as our lack of a plan B. We have seen managers try to make some changes, like Pep playing Alves at right wing. Tito using Cesc as a false 9, Tata making use of our pace with more frequent long passes etc etc. How ever they all still suffer against well organised, disciplined defenses. This is the biggest concern for me right now. As we approach Christmas and then into next Spring we will be playing the best in Europe in the Champions league. It's worrying because "average" teams have exposed us i.e Ajax and Bilbao. Imagine what the likes of Bayern, Arsenal, Dortmund etc will do to us? :(

Whats the solution? Well it's not an easy one. As this Barca team was winning fans all over the world for the past 6-7 years, it's also put us at center stage. At first teams were in awe of our technical ability. The way we worked the gaps between the lines, the way we moved the ball. As a result teams knew our players just as well as their own, even Jupp Heynckes alluded to this last season!! The result is obvious, it's become easy to beat us and some even call us boring and predictable.

During the summer we mad a bold and dangerous business move. We signed a young Brazilian who, as brilliant as he is still has much to learn! I believe the biggest reason we signed him wasn't to help take the goal scoring load from Messi, but to fresh our approach in attack, to add some dynamism and make us less predictable. The problem isn't so much with Neymar it's that our approach is still based on good old tiki-taka.

I've tried to explain how I believe Tata tried to change some things, or rather add a new dimension, with Neymar and some counter attacking football. All well and good, but we have't the squad to do that with 100% succes. We still have attack-minded, short and gifted players. It is in that sense that I believe it's time to shake the squad up a little.

What if we were to buy 1-2 players who were more well suited to this direct football? What if we had mid-fielders and defenders stronger in the air? Would it be such a bad thing?

One only has to look at Bayern, and to some extend City and Dortmund. It's not only the short/slight guys capable of jaw-dropping skills and providing entertainment of the highest standard. Heck even Javi martinez and Toure as big as they are, are very technically gifted.

Having players of such mold, would really allow our attacking players more freedom, our mid-field more cover, and supplement our often weak defense.

edit: also I know Toure was sold to allow Busi to flourish, but I really wish he was still ours :(

I'm not going to call for a drastic team overhaul yet. We've gone from one extreme brand of football to another I think. Mostly due to injuries. When we get our players back, then lets see how we fare against the top guys. We've already got results against both Madrid teams & AC Milan.

New managers need time to embed new ideas... lets see how we fare with everyone back.

Not calling for an overhaul tbh, I just think they addition of two, cheap players who would suit us, but add more of a direct or Ariel threat can only help. I am not calling for an overhaul at all. We have some of the best players on the planet, why would we sell them. How ever, Tello, Montoya and maybe 2-1 others are not at the level we need to be truly competing on all fronts again.

Also, of the injuries, our defense becomes stronger with Alba/Alves back. Pique to me looks like he has his head firmly on his shoulders, its the others around and in front of him that need to shape up imo! To often he is a scapegoat for all of our problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Speaking of Yaya, found this in my wardrobe the other day so decided to hang it up.

becf8486-360b-42ef-8be3-b488f16c0c65_zpsa3b0d96a.jpg?t=1386007889

Love that man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I said it last night and the Catalan papers have said it today, that was not Barcelona last night, it was an unrecognizable bunch playing a brand of football that, for the most part, is foreign to Barcelona. No triangles, no half touches, no incisive movement, no control, no building from the back, no pressing, no beauty, no tiki taka. It were as if the last 5 years hadn't happened, everything Guardiola had built, dismantled in one cold night at the San Mames. No Valdes, no Alves, no Puyol, Pedro on the bench and Messi not in the country. Chasing a goal and Xavi Hernandez is removed, desperately needing an equaliser and Andres Iniesta is taken off. No, Xavi and Iniesta cant go on forever but, just as Xavi replaced Guardiola, there are young players at the club who can one day replace this great group, but the key is that when they come into the side that the structure is correct for them to strive. That's where this is leading, Tata Martino is equipped with one of the greatest teams in football history, but one which play in one very distinctive way, has attempted to make a good omelette out of what should be a great meringue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Actually thought Barca played better when Xavi was removed and Roberto was playing.

Jernal wrote: »
    Actually thought Barca played better when Xavi was removed and Roberto was playing.

I don't agree and more than the performance, this was about identity. No Messi, no Valdes, no Puyol, no Alves, you don't take off Xavi Hernandez Mr. Barcelona, the very epitome of tiki taka, whose blood runs blaugrana.

I don't agree and more than the performance, this was about identity. No Messi, no Valdes, no Puyol, no Alves, you don't take off Xavi Hernandez Mr. Barcelona, the very epitome of tiki taka, whose blood runs blaugrana.

What a stupid post.

Xavi wasn't up to the pace of the game at all. He was overrun. Whatever nonsense about philosophy one has you can't espouse it if your player doesn't perform. Sid Lowe's article today was very interesting. This Barca team have rubbish fitness at the moment and it's shown in a few games. Maybe the plan is for them to peak next February but whatever the case Xavi and Iniesta midfield wise aren't the dominant players they used to be. Spain and Barca need them to get rejuvenated or start looking for alternatives. There was a time when Barca dominated games to the point that high pressing tempo was a waste of energy. It just tired teams out. Nowadays, they can't cope with any pressing.

What a stupid post.

Well direct your ire to the the sports media across Spain and wider continental Europe where the sentiment has been much the same. The point that Roberto was better than Xavi is entirely debatable in the first place and certainly his performance was not good enough to warrant the removal of the captain and a player synonymous with the identity of this team, this club and this club's philosophy.

• Advertisement

Xavi wasn't up to the pace of the game at all. He was overrun. Whatever nonsense about philosophy one has you can't espouse it if your player doesn't perform. Sid Lowe's article today was very interesting. This Barca team have rubbish fitness at the moment and it's shown in a few games. Maybe the plan is for them to peak next February but whatever the case Xavi and Iniesta midfield wise aren't the dominant players they used to be. Spain and Barca need them to get rejuvenated or start looking for alternatives. There was a time when Barca dominated games to the point that high pressing tempo was a waste of energy. It just tired teams out. Nowadays, they can't cope with any pressing.

I don't agree that he was particularly overrun, I would say that the movement in front of him was nonexistent and that this use of 30 yard diagonal passes most certainly do no suit his game and only lead to him, and the rest of the team, having less possession and less quality possession in the final third.
    I do agree that their fitness isn't what it was but this group is still more than capable of pressing and playing at a high tempo and, for me, there is still no finer side at maneuvering the ball under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I simply think Barca are running on empty and have been for some time.

They reached such highs in the last five years, it was always going to be impossible to maintain those as injuries and aging players came along. It wasnt just the flowing football, it was the pressing that was equally, if not more important to their success. They simply don't do that anymore at the levels they used to.

And don't forget San Mames is a very, very hard place to get a result and generally even Barca struggle there.

[QUOTE=Andersonisgod;87809395]I don't agree that he was particularly overrun, I would say that the movement in front of him was nonexistent and that this use of 30 yard diagonal passes most certainly do no suit his game and only lead to him, and the rest of the team, having less possession and less quality possession in the final third.
    I do agree that their fitness isn't what it was but this group is still more than capable of pressing and playing at a high tempo and, for me, there is still no finer side at maneuvering the ball under pressure.[/QUOTE]

The only reason for him to do such a thing, and fairly poorly for his standards, was because he was tired. Roberto should have come on at least at half time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Barcelona jersey are going to be littered with the soccer equivalent of NASCAR car sponsorships by 2020. Rosell needs to go.

• Advertisement

Barcelona jersey are going to be littered with the soccer equivalent of NASCAR car sponsorships by 2020. Rosell needs to go.

Who'll replace him though? It's obvious they want to turn Barcelona into a brand. Being honest too that's probably the only way for the club to remain competitive.

Who'll replace him though? It's obvious they want to turn Barcelona into a brand. Being honest too that's probably the only way for the club to remain competitive.

Is that really the best way to build a brand? By attaching other brands to us? We are already known worldwide, have some of the oily money to keep competitive. We have the best youth system in the world, that arguably the best way to keep competitive. Rosell has transformed the club too much in his own image.

Is that really the best way to build a brand? By attaching other brands to us? We are already known worldwide, have some of the oily money to keep competitive. We have the best youth system in the world, that arguably the best way to keep competitive. Rosell has transformed the club too much in his own image.

There's little hope of keeping those youth players if other clubs pay bigger wages than Barca. It's not going to be able to compete if it just relies on its youth system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm suprised noone has mentioned the fact that they are looking to either upgrade the Camp Nou or move out !

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/10/barcelona-new-stadium-extend-camp-nou-105000
    Barcelona's board of directors will make a decision in January on whether to expand the Camp Nou or submit plans to move to a new stadium.
    The Spanish champions have commissioned a report over the viability of both projects with the objective to increase the capacity of their home ground to 105,000.

And from Official Barca site

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/detail/article/camp-nou-decision-to-be-made-in-the-first-fortnight-of-january
    Board of Directors spokesman Toni Freixa explains that the Board will make a definitive decision on the future of the Camp Nou in the first weeks of 2014

The Board were made privy to studies made on the construction of a new stadium on land adjacent to Diagonal and the construction of a new stadium that would use the current structure of the Camp Nou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Atletico Madrid striker David Villa has confirmed that Barcelona stopped him moving to Arsenal last January.

Widespread reports during the winter transfer window suggested that the Premier League side had bid 12 million pounds for Villa, 32, and that the player himself was open to the move as he was not getting regular games at the Camp Nou.

However, the transfer failed to materialise and in the summer the Spain international instead joined Atletico in a surprise deal worth only 2.1 million euros up front.

“I was not playing so I let the club know that the best would be to leave,” Villa said. “There was an important offer from an English club. You all know that it was Arsenal. The offer was very good for the club, very good for me. But they did not think it was right for me to leave at that moment, they needed me.”

Villa said that Barca had asked him not to move to the Emirates Stadium, and in exchange they made it easier for him to join Atletico once the season had ended.

Yet again an example of Barcelonas poor transfer policy ,they lost over 10m euro by holding onto Villa for 5 months.

Atletico Madrid striker David Villa has confirmed that Barcelona stopped him moving to Arsenal last January.

Widespread reports during the winter transfer window suggested that the Premier League side had bid 12 million pounds for Villa, 32, and that the player himself was open to the move as he was not getting regular games at the Camp Nou.

However, the transfer failed to materialise and in the summer the Spain international instead joined Atletico in a surprise deal worth only 2.1 million euros up front.

“I was not playing so I let the club know that the best would be to leave,” Villa said. “There was an important offer from an English club. You all know that it was Arsenal. The offer was very good for the club, very good for me. But they did not think it was right for me to leave at that moment, they needed me.”

Villa said that Barca had asked him not to move to the Emirates Stadium, and in exchange they made it easier for him to join Atletico once the season had ended.

Yet again an example of Barcelonas poor transfer policy ,they lost over 10m euro by holding onto Villa for 5 months.

If we get first refusal on Oli torres, then it will all be worth it

If we get first refusal on Oli torres, then it will all be worth it

Until you pay several times the market value to sign him . .

The word is King Leo may return on the 8th in the cup tie vs Getafe!

Andres finally signed a new contract! I was getting worried, so was he apparently. Tried being a Sony salesman for a day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

As a Man City its great to see the worlds greatest back tonight . However hopefully he has the flu come February ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Completely forgot about the game last night. Switched on in the 86th minute :)

Great to see himself back. Hopefully fully recovered and fresh to take on the league challenge and Man City.

Saturday nights game is as big as any Clasico. Should be a stormer.

I wonder if Messi will start or be subbed on like last night? It's nice to have 4 on form forwards. Give's us that super sub effect for late in the game! Be it Neymar, Messi, or Pedro! xD

I wonder if Barta will pair with Pique. Masch actually played really well last night imo

Missed a portion of the game, mostly when Messi came on (:O), but Puyi played well too from what I remember.

BREAKING: @FCBarcelona have reached a deal with @MarcBartra91 to extend his contract until June 30, 2017

Breakout season from him so far. Better performances than Puyol & Masch imo. Delighted

Breakout season from him so far. Better performances than Puyol & Masch imo. Delighted

Bout time ye renewed it. If he'd left ye'd have been awful in shyte. I think Pique, odd wild moment aside, has very good this season. He was surreal against Atletico.

Bout time ye renewed it. If he'd left ye'd have been awful in shyte. I think Pique, odd wild moment aside, has very good this season. He was surreal against Atletico.

Indeed, but I still feel he's prone to lapses of concentration for me...( channelling my Gerry Armstrong)

Indeed, but I still feel he's prone to lapses of concentration for me...( channelling my Gerry Armstrong)

That is a problem with a lot of young defenders, he definitely has the qualities to be an important player and hopefully with more experience he will continue to improve.

Delighted that the club have secured Bartra on a long term deal. He was thrown into the lions den against Munich and didn't distinguish himself but he had a stellar European Championships with the under 21 Spain side in the Summer and has carried that form into the season with Barcelona. An incredibly gifted young centre back from the academy, surely a future mainstay at the heart of the Barcelona defence.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    That is a problem with a lot of young defenders, he definitely has the qualities to be an important player and hopefully with more experience he will continue to improve.

Pique is 26 now.

• Advertisement

Tata has said the team will approach tonight game with the mentality they are at 0-0. I have to say i have really liked how he has handled himself in front of the press.
    Being the Barca coach comes with a million and one tasks/responsibilities so much so Pep even says he didnt enjoy his time at Barca as a coach as much as he would have liked. Tata like Pep tries to be very diplomatic and so so careful with their responses.

How are Barca fans feeling about his mid way point of the season? Has he done as expected? More?

Il try drop back later with a match link, Messi and Neymar are supposed to be starting together. Should be fun to watch :D

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Tata has said the team will approach tonight game with the mentality they are at 0-0. I have to say i have really liked how he has handled himself in front of the press.
    Being the Barca coach comes with a million and one tasks/responsibilities so much so Pep even says he didnt enjoy his time at Barca as a coach as much as he would have liked. Tata like Pep tries to be very diplomatic and so so careful with their responses.

How are Barca fans feeling about his mid way point of the season? Has he done as expected? More?

Il try drop back later with a match link, Messi and Neymar are supposed to be starting together. Should be fun to watch :D

I'll miss the first 20 minutes or so of the game tonight but I am very much looking forward to it, as the heavy rumour seems to be that Messi and Neymar start together.

Half way point, Barcelona sit at the top of the table, ahead of a rejuvenated Real Madrid side who spent insane money in the summer and ahead of a quite brilliant Atletico side. Tata navigated the Champions Leagye well and a stern test awaits against Man City. Copa Del Rey progress against Getafe is practically assured.

Tata has won the Clasico, he's won the Super Cup, he's managed to get a draw at the Vicente Calderon despite not having Messi and Neymar available to start the game. He's gotten Pedro back to top form and banging in goals, he's got Sanchez playing the best stuff he ever has for Barcelona and he has managed to integrate Bartra and Sergi Roberto into regular first team players.

Being Barcelona though, it isn't purely about results, it's about the manner of the results. It's been somewhat mixed in that department, at times they have looked as un-Barcelona like since Rijkaard's last season, however Tata has shown a bit of pragmatism when it's needed and has shown that he is not afraid to make big, sometimes unpopular decisions. Another complaint would be the pressing, which has improved since he's taken over but still isn't what it was under Pep, that being said Tata's side defended masterfully against Atletico.

Overall I'm happy with the season thus far, we've seen plenty of the kind of football we expect from Barcelona, even the cross field balls, which drew a lot of criticism, have been seen less and less in the last few weeks. While he does seemed to have improved the defending, and this is reflected in Barcelona's impressive goals conceded stats this season. Coming into the second half of the season, Messi is back, Neymar is fit, Xavi looks fitter now than he has in a couple of years and Bartra and Roberto continue to impress, I'm optimistic that Tata's first season in Europe will end with silverware, significant silverware.

Davaeo09 wrote: »

People over a reddit were saying Messi may still only get 45 mins tonight and start on the weekend (against Levante?). If he's still not 100% fit I think its the right call. The tie is practically won.

I'm like you in admiring how Tata addresses the media. Regarding how he's shaped the team, he's got the pressing back, although I don't think its quite of the level of 08-11 just yet, but its hopefully getting there. He's getting the best out of Pedro, Sanchez, Bartra and perhaps Pique too. He's helped Neymar bed in well and once Messi gets firing again, it should be quite scary for the likes of City :)

I'd like to see him sign a defender in the summer to semi-replace Puyol. I don't think he's had the opportunity of signing the best players, and although its probably Zubi's job to do so, I'd like Tata to make his own mark on this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

People over a reddit were saying Messi may still only get 45 mins tonight and start on the weekend (against Levante?). If he's still not 100% fit I think its the right call. The tie is practically won.

I'm like you in admiring how Tata addresses the media. Regarding how he's shaped the team, he's got the pressing back, although I don't think its quite of the level of 08-11 just yet, but its hopefully getting there. He's getting the best out of Pedro, Sanchez, Bartra and perhaps Pique too. He's helped Neymar bed in well and once Messi gets firing again, it should be quite scary for the likes of City :)

I'd like to see him sign a defender in the summer to semi-replace Puyol. I don't think he's had the opportunity of signing the best players, and although its probably Zubi's job to do so, I'd like Tata to make his own mark on this team.
    when Messi & Neymar start together the pressing in no where near as good
    Messi in particular needs to work harder when he doesn't have the ball

MD1990 wrote: »
    when Messi & Neymar start together the pressing in no where near as good
    Messi in particular needs to work harder when he doesn't have the ball

It's not just that either. On both occasions when Messi came on Barca's fluency dropped. Against Atletico they relatively were in control. Barely troubled and slowly wearing Atletico down. Messi comes on they become a lot more static. A similar thing occurred against Getafe. I know it's early days but if you compare Messi of years ago today you'll see his activity is a lot less movement and rotation wise. He might still create more goals for Barca but they haven't look as solid when Messi came on.
    If I were Tata I'd let both Cesc and Messi rotate in false nine during a game. Cesc has excellent movement but lacks the guile and turn of pace that Messi has but I think Cesc actually helps the team link up better. I was dubious of him at first as he doesn't provide as much penetration but if Barca are to control a game Messi is currently not providing it. He will probably win them lots of game though but at what cost? Pedro and Sanchez have confidence now. Cesc, gels the side very nicely. Xavi doesn't have to cover as much space as a result and is dragged out of cover less. So there's less strain on Busquets. It may sound arrogant but Barca are probably harder to beat without Messi playing. (Assuming Messi doesn't have a goal spree!)

Regarding Tata, defensively they've improved a lot. I wouldn't complain about the pressing too much if I were you guys. You can't sustain that pressing and teams know how to counter act it too. Barca's problem at the moment is lack of intensity. If a team really goes at them athletics wise they seem to struggle. Only Pedro, Sanchez, Alves and Alba can really live with the pace. So playing a high line then is Russian Roulette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Looks nasty for Neymar, Out of world cup?

BeIZ-LqCEAA2B77.png

• Advertisement

WTF is up with that pitch?

Oh man that's bad. I missed it, only just hearing what happened. Hopefully it isnt as bad as it looks. It'd be devastating if that ended his first season at Barcelona and took him out of the World Cup. Was he stretched off?

I really really hope that Neymars injury isn't as bad as it looks, Barca could maybe get by without him but only a few months ahead of the World Cup in his home nation, it would be a disaster if he were to miss it.

Early reports suggest Neymar's injury is a tendon strain in his right ankle. He'll go for more tests tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What the ****? :p

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/17/barcelona-mausoleum-fans-remains-stored-ashes
    Barcelona have created a mausoleum where fans can pay to have their remains stored. Initially there will be a space for 500 urns at the cemetery of Les Corts but the plan is to incorporate this into a modernised Camp Nou or new stadium in the future which will have room for 30,000 urns.

"This is in response to the historical demand from members who want their remains laid to rest at the stadium," said the club's director of facilities, Josep Ramon Vidal-Abarca.

• Advertisement
Advertisement