Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Easier to look through mud than some South American transfers when parts of the eventual big deal are sold by the club to pay wages while keeping the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Barca in being crooked shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

CSF wrote: »
    Barca in being crooked shocker.

What's crooked? From what I read Bartomeu (sp?) explained things rather well. Though obviously we'll have to wait and see what the courts say too. (If the case isn't being dropped.)

Jernal wrote: »
    What's crooked? From what I read Bartomeu (sp?) explained things rather well. Though obviously we'll have to wait and see what the courts say too. (If the case isn't being dropped.)

The ridiculous sums paid to Neymar's father?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

If things were above board why did Rosell leave in such a hurry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

If things were above board why did Rosell leave in such a hurry?

He remembered he left the immersion on.

We'll probably find out why he left when he did in due time. He shouldn't even have had the job in the first place tbh, and like many, was disappointed when he got the position and delighted when he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

For those actually bothered to look beyond the obvious, there were threats made against his family apparently and he felt there was allot of unfair, personal criticism.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    For those actually bothered to look beyond the obvious, there were threats made against his family apparently and he felt there was allot of unfair, personal criticism.

Yeah because paying like 30 millions to a player's family is normal practice.

They are owners of a scouting agency in which Barca invested?

Not dodgy at all. Perfectly normal practice.

• Advertisement

In other news; Ibi got the green light from the the medical team today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Should go in the summer anyways, the depth on the wings means he's not needed tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Should go in the summer anyways, the depth on the wings means he's not needed tbh.

Bar Tello's performance the other night, he's been poor. Ibi is much better technically.

I reckon under a more direct system like Tatas, Ibi could very good. He has so much pace is frightening, he has ran to to toe with Ronaldo, Left Marcelo for dirt. A little more confidence and he could very well be a great addition to the squad.

I remember in yesterdays press conference Bartomeu noted how Tata was not just focused on this season but that he had plans for the future too. Afellay still has lots to offer imo and I really hope he gets some minutes soon so we can see just what level he is at now.
    -Martino: "Afellay returns? I'm very happy for him. He has been doing very well this week. We want him to stay with us."

Also, what do fans reckon about Bojan? Is he as good as gone? he has been pretty damn good for Ajax this season and it's only now that he is starting to stamp his influence on games. I remember there was 4-5 months where he literally kept Ibra out of the team. Ofc there was behind the scenes stuff with Zlatan and Pep but Bojan deserved his chance to start and boy did he take it. If i'm correct he was robbed of a late equalizer against Inter but yeah lets not bring that up again :pac:

miralize wrote: »
    Bar Tello's performance the other night, he's been poor. Ibi is much better technically.

Agree 100% he's better than Tello, saw a post about him on BarcaForum which sums him up nicely :)

Davaeo09 wrote: »

Always have time for Hunter. Cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

A lot of talk that Valdes might renew his contract with a bumper pay increase in light of Rosell's resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Blatter wrote: »
    A lot of talk that Valdes might renew his contract with a bumper pay increase in light of Rosell's resignation.

Really couldn't see it happening myself with Valdes having been so adamant that he is leaving and the wheels for Ter Stegen's arrival in the summer already in motion.

That being said, if Valdes were to stay I'd cartwheel from here to Barcelona.

Allot has been said about Messi's form since returning from injury, a handful of goals and some great assists seems to suggest he is on the right track but some people are expecting him to start single handily mauling teams with 6-7 defenders between him and the goal. I think the criticism has been extremely harsh. Ofc he isn't at his usual "best of all time" form, but after such a long lay off it's only a matter of time until he finds the back of the net again. I think if any thing he might be a bit anxious, he scored that peno last week, but in La liga teams are shutting him out in open play. Any way, no need to panic, I have a feeling Seville tomorrow we will see the Leo we all love :D

The bigger question right now is the teams minor dip in form. Most of us are familiar with the fact late Jan and Feb are normally months we tend to struggle slightly. How ever, looking at the games gone, and whats in front I feel Tata has managed his squad exceptionally well. Messi is returning to full fitness, Iniesta too. Neymar is soon to be back from injury, Pique is finding the back of the net again, and he has Pedro and Sanchez playing like beasts! I have a good feeling regarding the rest of this month. Our next three big games effectively decide the outcome of the season, Seville is a must win, the to Sociedad to deal with unfinished business (2-0 should be a great lead to take there), and then ofc course Manchester City soon after. I expect that game to pretty much make or break Barca's season. If we qualify we will almost certainly be twice as good in two or three months when Messi and Neymar are in full song :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

That isn't what I'd be complaining about Messi. Messi looks lazy. When Barca played in Dec/Jan without Messi they had far more dynamism to their attack. Cesc, for all the criticisms I gave him on turn speed and the like was playing False 9 really bloody well. He kept rotating Barca's angle of attack. Messi is far too static and he doesn't press either. Making Barca even more vulnerable on the counter attack.

To make matters worse, his staticness costs Alexis and Pedro mobility and for all the confidence they were gaining they might still lose it. Simply put Barca were collectively better without Messi in the team. Messi might be Messi but Tata really needs to consider if the loss of a steely - and in my opinion brilliant- cohesive unit is worth it for Messi. He needs to start working.

That isn't what I'd be complaining about Messi. Messi looks lazy. When Barca played in Dec/Jan without Messi they had far more dynamism to their attack. Cesc, for all the criticisms I gave him on turn speed and the like was playing False 9 really bloody well. He kept rotating Barca's angle of attack. Messi is far too static and he doesn't press either. Making Barca even more vulnerable on the counter attack.

To make matters worse, his staticness costs Alexis and Pedro mobility and for all the confidence they were gaining they might still lose it. Simply put Barca were collectively better without Messi in the team. Messi might be Messi but Tata really needs to consider if the loss of a steely - and in my opinion brilliant- cohesive unit is worth it for Messi. He needs to start working.

Agree with everything here. We lost a lot of dynamism & unpredictability when Messi came back. Cesc & Xavi's first job now is to search for Messi, rather than use Pedro & Alexis effectively. Combine that with Dani Alves' poor cross deliveries, we look lost right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Was impressed by Messis overall game last night. The one criticism I have had of him in his career so far is that he tends to try and take on too many people all of the time. Now, he has a knack of making that work, but sometimes it got infuriating.

Last night, he seemed a lot less selfish. Picked out passes trying to get his team mates on the scoresheet. I wonder is this Martinos influence? One way or others, its a positive development.

Given the complexion of the Sociedad game, and whats coming up next week i'd love to see Messi rested on Wednesday!

“A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.”

Neymar has been declared fit!

After yesterdays performance Tata has himself some what of a selection conundrum. Who do you drop of Xavi, Cesc and Iniesta? The later two were sheer class yesterday but surely ya can't drop Xavi?

What if Iniesta starts wide left? Do you drop Sanchez/Pedro??

Actually, yesterday marked the first time Sanchez scored in four consecutive games for us :D

Id love to see Iniesta start with Cesc and Neymar great options for the second half. What do other culés think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

my Barca startling 11 would be
    ___________Valdes_____________
    Alves___Pique___Masherano___Alba
    ___________Busquets___________
    _____Xavi____________Iniesta____
    Sanchez______Messi________Pedro

MD1990 wrote: »
    my Barca startling 11 would be
    ___________Valdes_____________
    Alves___Pique___Masherano___Alba
    ___________Busquets___________
    _____Xavi____________Iniesta____
    Sanchez______Messi________Pedro

I'd agree that that is possibly our strongest starting 11 right now BUT.. Alba hasn't actually been playing terribly well. Adriano on the other hand.. Actually, cesc, song, neymar coming in second half. We've surely never had that sort of quality ready to step up as a sub in the big games?? -

Alba actually had a fantastic game the other week. Alves has been so poor though, offensively at least. I'd have Cesc for Xavi, but Xavi has obviously been calculatingly rested for City.

Pedro & Sanchez to play, but I think Neymar might start to throw City off a bit. They'll expect him to play but he'll probably be marked to come on at 60th minute. I'd give him the opening 45 instead of Pedro imo.

• Advertisement

It's so tough to call. Possession is paramount away at Man City but, at the same time, it's important to register an away goal. Fabregas and Iniesta were key to one of Barcelona's best displays in months, but in a game where keeping possession is crucial it's time to leave out Xavi Hernandez. I'm going to do a dream starting 11 and then the 11 I think will be picked

Dream 11:

Valdes

Alves, Bartra, Pique, Adriano

Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta

Messi, Fabregas, Pedro (Neymar if he were fit)

Actual 11:

Valdes

Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Alba

Xavi, Busquets,

Fabregas, Iniesta

Pedro, Messi

In one vs one situations Mascherano is excellent but against the height of Negredo or Dzeko (or both) that could be a problem as could his lack of height from set pieces. Alba and Alves playing at the same time is also a worry, too often they both both forward leaving space in behind. I tink Tata will be relatively conservative, look to manage the game, take them back to the Camp Nou and then unleash his Barcelona side.

Alba actually had a fantastic game the other week. Alves has been so poor though, offensively at least. I'd have Cesc for Xavi, but Xavi has obviously been calculatingly rested for City.

Pedro & Sanchez to play, but I think Neymar might start to throw City off a bit. They'll expect him to play but he'll probably be marked to come on at 60th minute. I'd give him the opening 45 instead of Pedro imo.
    very important in away CL ties that Pedro & Sanchez start imo
    u need them to press as Neymar & Messi both starting makes it alot eaaier for City to get at Barca's back four
    Alves needs to be sold in the summer too he is well past his best

Ideal team.

­­Valdes,

Andriano, Andriano Andriano Andriano
    Andriano, Andriono Andriano Andriano
    Andriano
    =­Messi

Practical lineout.

­Valdes,

Alves, Pique, Bartra, Alba
    Busquests,
    Cesc/Messi
    ­Iniesta
    Pedro Messi/Cesc Sanchez

Will City be missing Fernandinho? Huge loss. Even more than Aguero I'd argue for controlling the game.

Ideal team.

­­Valdes,

Andriano, Andriano Andriano Andriano
    Andriano, Andriono Andriano Andriano
    Andriano
    =­Messi

Practical lineout.

­Valdes,

Alves, Pique, Bartra, Alba
    Busquests,
    Cesc/Messi
    ­Iniesta
    Pedro Messi/Cesc Sanchez

Will City be missing Fernandinho? Huge loss. Even more than Aguero I'd argue for controlling the game.

Just like to point out that you're missing Pinto in both lineups :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Iniesta has to be put in the middle...behind whatever combination you want of Fabregas/Sanchez/Messi/Pedro/Neymar for me..

I'd also start Pedro. Those two are my first choice picks.

Valdes

Alves Bartra Pique Adriano

Fabregas Busi Iniesta

Alexis Messi Pedro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No Xavi? His calm will be vital in a game like this. The rest ok, but Id not have Fabregas and have Xavi in there.

I'd have Fabregas for this game too. Xavi can set the tone much better but Fabregas has PL experience. He's also better chance creator and goal scorer so far this season.

Going to the Etihad, we need to get at least a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shame City won't be at their full strength because it would be a cracking tie if they were. As it stands I think Barca will go through by the odd goal.

Shame City won't be at their full strength because it would be a cracking tie if they were. As it stands I think Barca will go through by the odd goal.

There's three weeks or so until the return fixture. Will Aguero be back by then?:(

gimmick wrote: »
    No Xavi? His calm will be vital in a game like this. The rest ok, but Id not have Fabregas and have Xavi in there.

Nope, sounds mad but thinking about it, Iniesta and Fab would work better City I think :)

• Advertisement

Nope, sounds mad but thinking about it, Iniesta and Fab would work better City I think :)

At least 1 goal will probably be needed tonight but possession will be absolutely key. It's one of the big questions tonight, can Barcelona get close to their usual amount of possession away at a very physical and gifted City side. That possession will be Barcelona's main form of defence and it will be what provides Barcelona's best opportunity of scoring. Iniesta and Fabregas were superb at the weekend, Iniesta in particular was scarily good, but none keep possession like Xavi. Leaving out Xavi you lose the heartbeat of the team, you miss the tempo he sets, you miss his calmness on the ball and you miss his leadership. He must, and will, play tonight. Though I do think Iniesta and Fabregas will also start.

i think Barca will win this tie alot easier than ppl think
    i can see them winning 2-1 tonight

At least 1 goal will probably be needed tonight but possession will be absolutely key. It's one of the big questions tonight, can Barcelona get close to their usual amount of possession away at a very physical and gifted City side. That possession will be Barcelona's main form of defence and it will be what provides Barcelona's best opportunity of scoring. Iniesta and Fabregas were superb at the weekend, Iniesta in particular was scarily good, but none keep possession like Xavi. Leaving out Xavi you lose the heartbeat of the team, you miss the tempo he sets, you miss his calmness on the ball and you miss his leadership. He must, and will, play tonight. Though I do think Iniesta and Fabregas will also start.

I think though that dominance of possession is possible without him. I agree he'll play, and I have no issue personally as I think he's a legend, but I feel in order to expose City's CM area fully, Cesc and Iniesta would be my picks.

Barcelona start, as expected, with Fabregas, Iniesta and Xavi all starting. Sanchez gets the nod over Pedro. Mascherano in over Bartra and Puyol. Alba and Alves both start.

City have sprung a small surprise with Clichy and Kolarov starting, suddenly they look somewhat defensive. Demichelles is in at the back so that's a weakness that could be exploited as could Javi Garcia in midfield. Navas and Silva are threats on the break, as is Negredo's aerial ability.

However having seen the teams, my confidence has risen.

wasn't impressed with Barca tonight
    can see them struggling to break down better teams in the Quarter Finals

Both solid & unimpressive, no point overexerting ourselves this early on. No one really played poorly imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

MD1990 wrote: »
    wasn't impressed with Barca tonight
    can see them struggling to break down better teams in the Quarter Finals

There aren't too many better teams than City. On paper this is probably the second most difficult place to go and they won 2-0

Both solid & unimpressive, no point overexerting ourselves this early on. No one really played poorly imo..

Exactly that. First half was City containing Barca and not really trying to push on. 2nd half was more of the same until the sending off.

Soups123 wrote: »
    There aren't too many better teams than City. On paper this is probably the second most difficult place to go and they won 2-0
    they will come up against much better defences
    i think Real,Bayern,PSG,Dortmund,Chelsea all harder teams for Barca possibly to face imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

no point overexerting ourselves...

Ah, football fans. Endless laughs. Put another cushion under your head and watch the highlights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement