Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

MD1990 wrote: »
    wasn't impressed with Barca tonight
    can see them struggling to break down better teams in the Quarter Finals

Very harsh, they've gone to the toughest ground in England, and a team in good form, and they've beaten them 2-0. At no stage were the defensive frailties shown up, the pressing was good when it had to be, the ability to keep possession was miles better than it was at this stage last season and Neymar added a spark when he came on and he isn't even 100% fit at the moment. Was it Barcelona vs Man Utd 2011? No, but it was never going to be nor did it have to be. City's approach dictated how the game went, Barcelona played the game and they won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Very harsh, they've gone to the toughest ground in England, and a team in good form, and they've beaten them 2-0. At no stage were the defensive frailties shown up, the pressing was good when it had to be, the ability to keep possession was miles better than it was at this stage last season and Neymar added a spark when he came on and he isn't even 100% fit at the moment. Was it Barcelona vs Man Utd 2011? No, but it was never going to be nor did it have to be. City's approach dictated how the game went, Barcelona played the game and they won.

The underlined bit is lies. Everything else is well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

ThirdMan wrote: »
    The underlined bit is lies. Everything else is well said.

To be fair, City didn't really have a go, and when they did it was through good play, not poor Barca defending that they created chances. Barca have looked much more solid at the back this season than last. Look at the Madrid game under Tata, and again at tonight. He doesn't just have the forwards pressing, he has the mid-fielders more much competitive and fresh, which of course helps protect the back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1654446_726969254004190_1751230577_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

MD1990 wrote: »
    wasn't impressed with Barca tonight
    can see them struggling to break down better teams in the Quarter Finals

Likewise ,I didnt think they played particularly well.
    It was one of their typical away performances ,maintain possession and just pass it around with very little end product .

They seemed happy to just to retain possession so that City couldnt score,Barcelona rarely tried to score themselves.
    If they try that against a better team ,they will be caught out.

Likewise ,I didnt think they played particularly well.
    It was one of their typical away performances ,maintain possession and just pass it around with very little end product .

They seemed happy to just to retain possession so that City couldnt score,Barcelona rarely tried to score themselves.
    If they try that against a better team ,they will be caught out.

You must see that the reason Barcelona didn't over commit in attack was sensible and it totally payed off against a team many people expected (wanted) to trash Barcelona? City adopted a negative approach and suffered because of it. I am one of the believers they may have done more damage if they played more openly in the first 50, but by then Barca had most of the ball and leaving space in the middle for Iniesta and Messi would have been very foolish. City tried to keep the tie close, and perhaps nick 1-2 goals over the two games. There game plan may have worked if it wasn't for the sending of, who knows. But the result is not a poor one for Barca against what many people see as England's top side. Not bad for a Barca that's supposed to be boring and predictable :rolleyes:

also just leaving this here
    Negredo : "The referee wanted to give me a yellow card, but Pique asked him not to book me. I'm grateful for that."

and Yaya Toure: "We didn't lose because of the referee. We lost because Barcelona are still the world's best team."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Both are obviously angling for a move to Barca. Obviously.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    You must see that the reason Barcelona didn't over commit in attack was sensible and it totally payed off against a team many people expected (wanted) to trash Barcelona?

But they adopted similar tactics in their away matches against both Celtic and Ajax ,2 very limited teams .
    I've seen the same cautious ,over passing,low tempo style in most away CL matches over the last few years,its not easy on the eye .

Barcelona can play much better ,there is a big difference in their attitude home and away in the Champions league ,its far too cautious away from home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

For every such picture opportunity, there's probably one with Pinto and "priceless" in the background:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

But they adopted similar tactics in their away matches against both Celtic and Ajax ,2 very limited teams .
    I've seen the same cautious ,over passing,low tempo style in most away CL matches over the last few years,its not easy on the eye .

Barcelona can play much better ,there is a big difference in their attitude home and away in the Champions league ,its far too cautious away from home.

Yeah I don't understand it either. Conceding goals away from home is no way near as bad as conceding at home. It makes no sense. Why don't they put in their attacking Nou Camp performance away from home and just remain cautious at home. Possession is obviously their best form of defence. So why leave yourself more vulnerable to goals that can doubly hurt.

That being said I thought for City their tactics were spot on. I expect another similar game to the home leg of the SuperCopa against Atletico. Don't allow any easy counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Very tough game tonight at 19:00 on Sky Sport 4. Real Sociedad vs Barcelona at the Anoeta. Despite getting knocked out of the Copa by Barca and losing their last 2 in LL, Sociedad have every reason to be confident of getting at least 1 point out of the game. You need to go back to May 5th 2007 when Barcelona last got 3 points at the Anoeta when goals from Iniesta and Eto'o sealed the points.

I reckon it'll be 1-1 myself, hopefully not though :pac:

Few facts in anticipation:

-Real Sociedad have lost none of their three home league meetings with Barcelona since returning to La Liga in 2010 (W2 D1).
    - The Anoeta is one of only three away grounds that Lionel Messi has scored in in La Liga but lost the game (with the Bernabeu and the Vicente Calderon).
    - Real Sociedad are the only side to have beaten Barcelona more than once on home soil over the last four seasons (twice).
    - Barcelona have never lost consecutive away league games against Real Sociedad since the Basque side moved to the Anoeta.
    - Lionel Messi has scored in the last four league meetings between the sides (five goals in total) and also netted in the Anoeta in the Copa del Rey this term.
    - If only first-half goals counted, Barcelona would be top of La Liga outright on 58 points; four ahead of Atletico Madrid (54).
    - Real Sociedad are unbeaten in nine home league games (W6 D3), keeping a clean sheet in each of their last three.
    - Barcelona are unbeaten in four away league games (W2 D2); a run that started following their only away defeat of the campaign so far (1-0 at the San Mames).
    - Neymar, who scored his first La Liga goal against Real Sociedad in the reverse fixture, has only scored one of his seven La Liga goals to date away from the Nou Camp.
    - Real Sociedad have scored 23 left-footed goals this season; more than any other side in the top five European leagues (Barcelona, 21).
    - Cesc Fabregas has made 12 assists this season; his best record in a single campaign since joining the Catalans.
    - Barcelona have earned a league-high seven points from losing positions on the road this term.

Anyone hear some of the guys on Revista De La Liga saying that Martino has lost the dressing room and if it was the end of the season now the club would be looking for a new manager ?
    Players supposedly arent happy with the tactics and style of play.

I know Hunter and Ballague like to stir the pot especially Balague with his exclusive scoops but perhaps there is some truth to the rumours ?
    Obviously alot will depend on how the rest of the season goes ,Barcelona are still in the running for 3 trophies so Martino could be a hero come May .

Anyone hear some of the guys on Revista De La Liga saying that Martino has lost the dressing room and if it was the end of the season now the club would be looking for a new manager ?
    Players supposedly arent happy with the tactics and style of play.

I know Hunter and Ballague like to stir the pot especially Balague with his exclusive scoops but perhaps there is some truth to the rumours ?
    Obviously alot will depend on how the rest of the season goes ,Barcelona are still in the running for 3 trophies so Martino could be a hero come May .

Even Sid Lowe seems to think it's plausible so I wouldn't be surprised. It's kind of funny though because Martino was doing a good job. Barcelona play a high line and they'll be crucified. Pragmatism over philosophy.

Jernal wrote: »
    Even Sid Lowe seems to think it's plausible so I wouldn't be surprised. It's kind of funny though because Martino was doing a good job. Barcelona play a high line and they'll be crucified. Pragmatism over philosophy.

Ok thanks ,I'm a bit out of the loop as I havent seen as much Spanish football this season as in previous years ,scheduling doesnt seem to be as good as recent years.

I read that the great bluffer AVB has made the five man shortlist for the new manager if results don't improve.
    Imagine the high line with that clown in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Seems you lot have signed Alen Halilović.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks ,I'm a bit out of the loop as I havent seen as much Spanish football this season as in previous years ,scheduling doesnt seem to be as good as recent years.

I read that the great bluffer AVB has made the five man shortlist for the new manager if results don't improve.
    Imagine the high line with that clown in charge.

I actually think AVB might suit Barca a lot. Spurs problem was that a lot of their players were tactically, how to put this politely, stupid. Barcelona's philosophy ensures a lot of them are on the level playing field of tactics and positioning. When Guardiola was in charge the High Line was excellent. How many times in both finals did Man Utd actually breakthrough it with a long ball? Ronaldo and Hernandez were continuously caught offside. AVB was playing a high line in Spurs where most of the defenders simply weren't used to it. In Barcelona it's pretty much this generations default mode of defence.
    That's not the main reason though. In Barcelona you probably have the most technically gifted players in the world. Not saying they're the best team. Saying they're the team capable of passing the ball most fluidly and repositioning themselves. AVB's according to Dunphy clipboard manager and with Barca you actually have a team that can follow clipboards because the players can be played in any position and perform many many roles. Pep's great experiment was to try to build a team that consisted of nothing but essentially creative midfielders.
    In Spurs AVB didn't really have a team that can do that. I guess, another way to put this is managing Barca would actually show definitively if AVB is a bluffer or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I tend to agree. I dont want to see Tata gone, but if he were to leave, we could do infintely worse than AVB (*cough* Eusebio *cough*)

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Seems you lot have signed Alen Halilović.

Can't say I ever heard of him tbh, but a quick glance at wiki makes me sad that he isn't a centre back. Attacking midfeilders is not an area Barca lack in.

That said, I look forward to seeing what he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Puyol announces that he's retiring at the end of the season.

Blatter wrote: »

It was coming unfortunately :(

His leadership will be missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I hope we can end the season with some silverware for him to lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Blatter wrote: »

He announced he is leaving Barca, doesn't mention retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I hope we can end the season with some silverware for him to lift.

Would be nice for them to win something in his last season but its not as if he's short on trophies. He is the most successful captain in the clubs history. Great servant and he will be missed. True legend, hopefully he stays on in some role, he is a born leader.

Imagine the send off he will get last day of the season. Emotional won't be the word.

My favourite line of commentary about Puyol - The Gods are looking down on Puyol with envy.

He will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I do love Puyol.

Tough as nails and a class defender.

Deserves all the plaudits he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not a barcelona fan but he is was always such a classy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pique
    You were my guardian angel.

The day has arrived. You are leaving. It’s the law of life, but it is tough for me to imagine Barça without you. If I look back and remember Paris or Rome, the first image that comes to my mind is you lifting the European Cup. You gave the honour of lifting the trophy in Wembley to Abi, which just makes you even greater. My generation and those that come after do not know what the club will be like without Puyi in defence branding the captain’s armband and the number 5 on the back of his shirt. I think that nothing will ever be the same.

I met you 6 years ago. You were the captain and the emblem of the team and I was just a kid arriving, set on conquering the world. From day one we had a great relationship, both on and off the field. By your side I felt protected and I knew that if one day I made a mistake you’d always be there to save me. You were my guardian angel.

I know that I will miss our talks in the locker room, your advice and especially you giving us hell on the pitch. You are unique; a one-off. I find it amusing when they talk about signing “the new Puyol”. They can look all they want, but they’ll never find it.

Thanks for everything, Puyi.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

dreamers75 wrote: »
    :)

AIG? ;)

Pique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jernal wrote: »
    Pique?

Hard to see who else it'd be, Busquets came around at the same time but being at Barca B/C the years before, he probably met Puyol

Ah,tis from Pique's FB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah that was a hell of a gesture passing the trophy to Abidal.

Speaks volumes about the man.

He had a tendency to pop up and score absurdly good headers in big matches too.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

I'm no Barca fan but I respect a great player when I see one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Moneymaker wrote: »

I'm no Barca fan but I respect a great player when I see one.

Aye, same. Hard not to admire someone like Puyol really.

He played on once after getting his forehead stapled will never forget that. Forget the nice stuff just stop the bleeding and let me play!

I was at the Nou camp a few years ago.

Puyol picked up the ball in his own box and started running with it. He passed it short to Xavi who was on the halfway line. Xavi held it, Puyol kept running. Xavi passed it back, Puyol took it in his stride and passed it to Eto'o and kept running. Eto'o passed it back to Puyol who was now in the opposition box. he rounds the keeper, what a goal he will have scored. The prick keeper took him down. Penalty. Eto'o scores it.

It would have been utter majesty to see had it worked out.

Another time, I ws watching the team train at the pitch at the side of the Nou Camp. Puyol by a corner flag, Ronaldinho at the other side of the pitch at the halfway line and they were just hitting the ball to each other. So perfectly that the ball would bounce just in front of each guy, they would take it on the chest and wallop it back first time each time. I was in awe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was at the match on Sunday, would love to say I was there for his last goal in a Barca shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Barca.gif

Good Guy Puyol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

gimmick wrote: »
    I was at the Nou camp a few years ago.

Puyol picked up the ball in his own box and started running with it. He passed it short to Xavi who was on the halfway line. Xavi held it, Puyol kept running. Xavi passed it back, Puyol took it in his stride and passed it to Eto'o and kept running. Eto'o passed it back to Puyol who was now in the opposition box. he rounds the keeper, what a goal he will have scored. The prick keeper took him down. Penalty. Eto'o scores it.

It would have been utter majesty to see had it worked out.

Another time, I ws watching the team train at the pitch at the side of the Nou Camp. Puyol by a corner flag, Ronaldinho at the other side of the pitch at the halfway line and they were just hitting the ball to each other. So perfectly that the ball would bounce just in front of each guy, they would take it on the chest and wallop it back first time each time. I was in awe.

Ah, my memory was a bit more romantic than that, but all the same I remember seeing the move unfold as we were pretty much behind that goal around the corner flag on the 2nd tier. Gutted he didn't finish it.

• Advertisement

Edit: was sleep deprived

After re watching the game again after some much needed sleep, I am probably even more disappointed. What's going on with Busi? He is totally hit and miss lately, and when he plays bad the rest of the team suffer. There was times today were he just didn't want the ball, shoving off passes that were unusually sloppy.

Just after international break, bit of a flat performance, but this team is capable of bouncing back. We always have a bit of a sh*t spring.

I think certain players could really do with a good kick up the arse. As some people have said Messi is often way to static and Pedro/Sanchez and Cesc all suffer from that. When Messi was out Barca were more fluid. It seems like we rush the ball forward to himself and Neymar way too often and today they were both very poor. Messi is obviously Messi, and Neymar has huge potential but at times I wonder how serious they are about working for the team and not just them selves!

Also not sure if any body has heard but it sounds like Iniesta's wife has miscarried... a rotten thing to happen and I really wish them well, he seems like such a nice, genuine guy.

Happy with last nights progress, but unless Barca draw Manyoo or Olympiakos in the QF, thats it for another CL season. I do not see Barca winning it outright anyway, but it would be nice to keep the semi final run going.

I thought Neymar was very poor again last night. I have been trying to look for his positives since signing, but honestly, I am not seeing them. Presumably its due to a bedding in period, but given the money he has cost, you are supposed to hit the ground running.

I hope he goes on to make the above statement look ridiculous.

Also, last night, I thought Mascherano was immense. Quietly got the job done, no fuss. More of the same please.

gimmick wrote: »
    Happy with last nights progress, but unless Barca draw Manyoo or Olympiakos in the QF, thats it for another CL season. I do not see Barca winning it outright anyway, but it would be nice to keep the semi final run going.

I thought Neymar was very poor again last night. I have been trying to look for his positives since signing, but honestly, I am not seeing them. Presumably its due to a bedding in period, but given the money he has cost, you are supposed to hit the ground running.

I hope he goes on to make the above statement look ridiculous.

Also, last night, I thought Mascherano was immense. Quietly got the job done, no fuss. More of the same please.

Pique was also fantastic last night. Neymar was poor but he was showing glimpses of quality in the first half. He's just after coming back from injuries, he'll get better.

Xavi still annoys me sometimes. Multiple opportunities for the easy pass but he tries to overdo it, giving the opponent time to get back.

Iniesta was superb, especially given what he's been going through recently. Pure professional.

Also, Jordi Alba was beast for the 180+ minutes :)

It's worth noting than when both of our full backs stay back we are WAAAAY less leaky at the back. It's about picking when to get forward and our full backs certainly done that well!

Also Alves is some character really.

• Advertisement

Preaching to the converted obviously, but Barney Ronay, oft Barelona critic - describing them as a hamburger before the 2011 final - sees the error of his ways in Xavi...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/14/xavi-barcelona-champions-league-spain

dfx- wrote: »
    Preaching to the converted obviously, but Barney Ronay, oft Barelona critic - describing them as a hamburger before the 2011 final - sees the error of his ways in Xavi...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/14/xavi-barcelona-champions-league-spain

Just saw that. That youtube link to his malaga pass still blows my mind!:eek:

Think Iniesta's goal was my favourite today..

dfx- wrote: »
    Think Iniesta's goal was my favourite today..

Tello's, for me.
    Had to add the "for me". :D

Barca warming up nicely for El Classico next weekend ,hopefully its a cracker.
    Nice to see the match is a night kick off ,8pm Irish time .

• Advertisement
Advertisement