Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm not a Barca hater btw. I just feel that they really let themselves down every so often. The sprinklers come to mind also.

Really, that has to be let go some day.
    Naggins wrote: »
    Really disappointed by the actions of Barcelona the last 2/3 seasons.

1) allowing a corporate sponsor

2) selling Thiago last summer

3) selling Cesc this summer. That article posted lacked class.

4) they havent blooded enough youngsters from barcelona b into the main team in recent years compared to when pep was in charge.

5) the Neymar fiasco: tax and the amount paid to his father etc

2 and 3 should have been the natural successors to Iniesta and Xavi. Some may disagree bout Cesc but his stats were good and he didnt play in his preferred position.

All pale in comparison to the sprinklers..
    Meh, don't know why I bother, Barca haters are going to remain convinced that the executive board met in their lair of evil and decided to 'get' Cesc whilst supping on the blood of orphans.

And then turning on the sprinklers prematurely to wash any remaining blood away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Fabregas confirms that Xavi set to leave Barcelona.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Blatter wrote: »

Link?
    Where's he going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Probably part of the agreement for all the blood money Barca are getting from the Emir the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Barcelona seem to have lost the plot and are throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Cant say I am surprised with Xavi leaving,he has been a shadow of himself the last 2 years ,he will be 35 in January ,alot of miles on the clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Let Xavi leave and keep Cesc would have been more logical.
    Koke must be nailed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

JPA wrote: »
    Let Xavi leave and keep Cesc would have been more logical.
    Koke must be nailed on.

Koke and Rakitic is not tiki taka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

dreamers75 wrote: »

What does that have to do with what I said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

dreamers75 wrote: »

Neymar & those boys...Barca could be playing more direct next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Luis Enrique trying to make his stamp? Or this is director of football and hierarchy making the calls?

So far, surprisingly, Barca's transfer stuff hasn't been all bad. It appears Cesc requested to leave. Still massively needing a CB though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

JPA wrote: »
    What does that have to do with what I said?

Who said it did.

loss of cesc aside, I got to hand it to ye this summer Barca's signings have been quite good.

Claudio bravo looks set to join for twelve million. Ter stegen and him is a good assortment.

Still gotta get at least one cb though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Any of you feel you will regret letting Thiago leave last summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Regarding Thiago : How we let him leave for equal to what we paid for Song I will never understand.

Koke + 1 or 2 CB's now and I will be very happy =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

An RB that can do something besides a cross too. I would ask for a winger but Deulofeu is back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I dont understand why we are being linked with Cuadrado. He's a more extreme version of Alves. Even more frequent forward runs and even less defensive cover.

Just wondering what CB's Barca could possible be looking at. With Marquinihos out of the equation it will be interesting to see which CB we land. It interesting how we are linked with so many other types of players while its all quiet now on the Cb front. I for one hope there is some behind the scenes work going on to land some one on the QT xD

Cuadrado isnt even a RB, he plays there seldomly as cover..

You guys letting thiago leave was insane, more so than cesc, he was xavi's heir apparent. Tito, fcked up there big time.

Yep, can't find any rumours on CBs. Truth be told if you strengthen midfield it will mask it a bit. But you desperately need two centre backs. At the very least one. Bartra and pique is all you have and either of them get injured or dip in form and you're fcked.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    You guys letting thiago leave was insane, more so than cesc, he was xavi's heir apparent. Tito, fcked up there big time.

Yep, can't find any rumours on CBs. Truth be told if you strengthen midfield it will mask it a bit. But you desperately need two centre backs. At the very least one. Bartra and pique is all you have and either of them get injured or dip in form and you're fcked.

Except in no way was it Tito's fault... Thiago wanted to leave, Zubi let him.

miralize wrote: »
    Except in no way was it Tito's fault... Thiago wanted to leave, Zubi let him.

He didn't play a contract determined amount of games. Meaning the hefty release clause Barca had on him diminished to more manageable amounts. Facilitating other clubs in their bidding. Had thiago started more games, xavi been rotated more ye may still have him and xavi might have had better legs at the end of the season and you'd still have thiago because only PSG or city could match the release clause and they had never expressed any interest in him.

So according to my latest random transfer rumours feed.

You guys are planning on offloading Alexis and possibly Pedro to Liverpool for Suarez.

First, how do ye feel about that?

Second, given the clubs recent image problems signing Suarez would really be taking the biscuit.

On a possibly more positive note, yer also chasing kroos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

- I don't want Suarez , and I don't think Barca can accept him if they (which they always do) are trying to promote this holier than god image, how the players are home grown...and not just educating players...but they are educating people. So to accept someone who constantly goes around abusing the rules of the game...well...it would make no sense

- Alexis , he looks great in the World Cup, I'd keep him, last season he really improved.

- Pedro, as much as I like him, he's hot and cold for me, runs around like a hyperactive squirrel. I don't think he'd be a huge loss as they recalled Deulofeu

- Xavi is also apparently looking to leave, so not sure who is going to run the midfield...as Iniesta usually plays a bit wider. I dunno if they expect Raktic to take up this role if he leaves....it will be a big ask of anyone.

I wish they'd concentrate less on attacking players though and get a decent Centre Back

I would pick Suarez in a shot, the ability to run through four players would be invaluable and would pay the postage on Sanchez for him myself. Absolutely no issue about image tbh.

I would want to keep Pedro though.

dfx- wrote: »
    I would pick Suarez in a shot, the ability to run through four players would be invaluable and would pay the postage on Sanchez for him myself. Absolutely no issue about image tbh.

I would want to keep Pedro though.

Well if the rumours are to be believed Suarez could cost 80m euro which is ludicrous.

The club wasted 100m last season on Neymar ,a player they didnt need and whilst Suarez is an excellent player the price is too much especially for a club with such debt.
    I wish they'd concentrate less on attacking players though and get a decent Centre Back

+1
    They badly need 1 or 2 good centre backs,I'd actually sell Pique if a good price could be achieved,he has been a liability for the last few years and his attitude stinks.

Barcelona seem to be adopting the Real Madrid transfer policy now which is very worrying.
    They also seem to be going as bit overboard with changing the players at the club,they only need a few changes not a complete overhaul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Isn't Alexis Sanchez only leaving because Messi doesn't like when he plays?

Sounds stupid but I've read that a couple of times and it's well known that Messi and Sanchez don't get along.

Can't see Suarez fitting in at Barca either.

glued wrote: »

Sounds stupid but I've read that a couple of times and it's well known that Messi and Sanchez don't get along.

Seems Messi didnt get along with Villa or Tello either ,demanding that they pass him the ball all the time.

Messi doesnt seem to be the angel people make out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Are Barcelona intending to by a Centre Back at all?

Or will they be content with asking Midfielders to play in defence?

Surely that should be a more pressing priority rather than another forward.

Barcelona lose messi keep Alexis and build around Neymar would be a safer option imo. Messi doesn't contribute to the team ethnic and players, particularly Alexis and Pedro suffer because of it. When Messi was injured Barcelona played better.

They seem to be adopting a similar policy to Man Utd who stubbornly refused to buy a quality central midfielder for 5 years .

They will have to buy at least one centre back ,probably Hummels after the world cup though because of the looming transfer ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Barcelona lose messi keep Alexis and build around Neymar would be a safer option imo. Messi doesn't contribute to the team ethnic and players, particularly Alexis and Pedro suffer because of it. When Messi was injured Barcelona played better.

Offer him to Liverpool + ~£40m and I'm sure they will let you have Suarez :pac:

Yeah, I really can't see messi and Luis playing together.

not getting a centre back is mad!

Surely that should be a more pressing priority rather than another forward.

Barcelona need a reinvigoration upfront, it has gone stale upfront. Not creating a chance in the second half against Atleti was not down to the defence. Same with the 0-0 draw with Elche before it.

Suarez is someone else who can also create when camped outside the box - something Sanchez, Tello, Villa and even Pedro haven't done in the last season or two. Neymar did it at the start of the season. The attacking players need to be changed, it's not like Madrid's policy of overloading with unnecessary players. Suarez is someone else who can dribble through five players as well as Messi with energy. That's what Barcelona need.

Given the upcoming transfer ban, that refreshment of strikers has to happen this time around. Barcelona can't afford to plod along with the same stale strikeforce for the next 2 transfer windows.

You can see why the board thinks Suarez is a good option. Keep the cetre backs focused on him, leaves Messi with more space. But I think Sanchez has really improved from midway through last season (12/13) and I hate to see him being dicked around like he was last season. Iniesta cant play wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

are some of ye wanting rid of messi? are ye a bit mad? u cannot replace messi

barone wrote: »
    are some of ye wanting rid of messi? are ye a bit mad? u cannot replace messi

When did anyone say that??

Well, I don't support anyone but I think Barca have got enough utility out of Messi. Time to rebuild a team around someone less selfish and static.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

turtwig said it a few posts back , it didnt get shot down so i presume its not a crazy idea to ye (barca fans) .. im also a barca fan,not my main team but ive backed them since stoichkov days .. messi greatest player of all time imo,build team around him,untill he no longer is at the top of his game ..be foolish in the extreme to sell him,despite his flaws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well, I don't support anyone but I think Barca have got enough utility out of Messi. Time to rebuild a team around someone less selfish and static.

Static is something I would never level at him anyway.

He is the best player in the world at the moment. Why would Barca allow him leave and strengthen someone else exponentially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gimmick wrote: »

He is the best player in the world at the moment.?

Ronaldo says hello

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ronaldo says hello

meh thats a discussion for the other thread.

miralize wrote: »
    You can see why the board thinks Suarez is a good option. Keep the cetre backs focused on him, leaves Messi with more space. But I think Sanchez has really improved from midway through last season (12/13) and I hate to see him being dicked around like he was last season. Iniesta cant play wide.

Iniesta could play with his legs tied together:)

At the moment, Tello has pace and bad decision making, Pedro has pace and effort, Sanchez has strength, they can all combine with Messi but none of them can take on a wall of players like Messi can or Suarez can so that's why he can offer so much more penetration - even he does end up having to find Messi like the rest of them. And of those players, Sanchez is the most happy I'd see go.

And Iniesta can be moved back to the middle. If Enrique keeps roughly the same formation, that is

I havent seen Pedro give more effort than Sanchez in the last 18 months. Pedro has regressed from a goalscoring winger that presses & gets into great areas (dirty messi rebounds :P) , to a winger that presses only when everyone else is and he has definitely fluffed his chances more than our other winger (Sanchez).

I used to absolutely abhor Sanchez when he started out (second season mostly), but he stepped up in Messi's absence... and he deserved better at the end of the last season regarding game time...

Having said that, I do get your point though. Looking at ESPN stats comparison between them. Pedro is only marginally less effective (on paper). Easier to keep hold of Pedro, given his homegrown status, & sanchez will command a good sum of money. Still though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

As a barca fan the mantra of '' more than a club '' may wear a bit thin with Suarez behaviour being swept under the carpet

The devilish side of me also wants to see Suarez v Pepe

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

As much as I'm drooling at the thought of seeing Messi, Neymar and Suarez up top (Drooling so much a pair of Milhouse's floodpants would be a great idea), I want a goddamn centre back!! FFS Barça!! How long must you keep me waiting?!

Don't worry you still got Mascherano. :p.

Actually if ye played ye played two defensive midfielders like Spain did it may cover the gaps. Especially if defence is primarily based on high line pressing.

Bravo,
    Alves, pique, Bartra, alba,
    Mascherano busquets,
    rakitic, iniesta
    Neymar messi

Oh wait that doesn't even require Suarez. Ok, swap rakitic for Suarez but I think that's too much. I'd only have two. Neymar messi, or messi Suarez,

Maybe drop Iniesta or rakitic and have one of the trio adopt to that position.

Or I don't know get a cb? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I fully expect that by the end of the window two center backs will be signed, most likely to be Marquinhos and Mathieu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

dfx- wrote: »
    The devilish side of me also wants to see Suarez v Pepe

:D
    That could be tasty :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

gimmick wrote: »
    Static is something I would never level at him anyway.

He is the best player in the world at the moment. Why would Barca allow him leave and strengthen someone else exponentially?

Ah heyour, the whole great work rate myth has been undone years ago.

I read this article this morning
    http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/07/lionel_messi_2014_world_cup_the_world_s_best_player_has_figured_out_how.html

It also could raise an argument on why selling Messi might not be the worst thing in the world. He can carry a team, yes. But his influence seems to be very negative on team mates. He has also been rumoured to be bullying some of the younger players (Tello being one of them)

Advertisement