Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

redout wrote: »
    Barca had an average crowd of around 67,000 last season. The Camp Nou is seldom ever sold out. Neither is the Santiago Bernabéu.
    I think Real Madrid averaged about 75k last season. Whatever about not selling out, 67 and 75k respectively are phenomenal attendances, of which the Italian and most other sides can only dream about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

kinaldo wrote: »
    It's not really interesting for me at all.
    I might just be missing your point :)... but I don't really get why you're so intent on considering Barca and Real together and comparing them to other sets of 2 clubs. I saw that stat on Ballon d'Or winners during the week but it wouldn't make me suddenly parcel Barca and Real together.

They're two big clubs among many in world football and that's as far as it goes for me.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I might just be missing your point :)... but I don't really get why you're so intent on considering Barca and Real together and comparing them to other sets of 2 clubs. I saw that stat on Ballon d'Or winners during the week but it wouldn't make me suddenly parcel Barca and Real together.

They're two big clubs among many in world football and that's as far as it goes for me.
    I'm not intent on anything. I just put forward my opinion. I think it's Redout who is more intent on making me see different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

kinaldo wrote: »
    It's not really interesting for me at all. As I said, I think you're really clutching at straws.

Boca Juniors also have as many (or more) international trophies as AC Milan.

Honestly, who cares about European Super Cups and losing finalists.

And what was that point you made about Juve having a world famous stadium?

My problem is that your claim in my opinion doesnt stand up as it is somewhat flawed as I already proved on here before that La liga was the major league in Europe which had the least amount of different winners in history and as a result was practically dominated by two teams only. In over 70 years of la liga a staggering 50 of those have seen the title go to either Real Madrid or Barcelona.

The other top leagues in both Italy and England dont even compare with that figure. Only 9 teams have ever won the Spanish title. Deduct Real and Barca and that leaves only 7. When compared to Europes other two top leagues in Italy and England there was a major disparity. That point cannot be disputed.

England has had 23 different league winners and Italy 16. Even if you account for an extra 30 years in both and compare it with the trend in Spain the numbers still dont add up. Barca and Real have won roughly two thirds of all league championships ever contested in Spain. The statistics clearly point out that Spain is a country akin to Scotland in terms of who can actually win a league title. There clearly has not and does not exist a level of competition in Spain than can be fairly compared to Europes other top leagues over the course of their existence. Taking that into account I dont really see how one could make a claim such as yours without an * next to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Anyone know where I can buy this book?

Barça. The best year of our life

Cannot see anywhere selling it.

• Advertisement

My problem is that your claim in my opinion doesnt stand up as it is somewhat flawed as I already proved on here before that La liga was the major league in Europe which had the least amount of different winners in history and as a result was practically dominated by two teams only. In over 70 years of la liga a staggering 50 of those have seen the title go to either Real Madrid or Barcelona.

The other top leagues in both Italy and England dont even compare with that figure. Only 9 teams have ever won the Spanish title. Deduct Real and Barca and that leaves only 7. When compared to Europes other two top leagues in Italy and England there was a major disparity. That point cannot be disputed.

England has had 23 different league winners and Italy 16. Even if you account for an extra 30 years in both and compare it with the trend in Spain the numbers still dont add up. Barca and Real have won roughly two thirds of all league championships ever contested in Spain. The statistics clearly point out that Spain is a country akin to Scotland in terms of who can actually win a league title. There clearly has not and does not exist a level of competition in Spain than can be fairly compared to Europes other top leagues over the course of their existence. Taking that into account I dont really see how one could make a claim such as yours without an * next to it.
    You're going off in tangents of which I am not interested in. My argument is not flawed, because their combined 12 European Cups show this. Their world famous stadiums show this. Their consistent success shows this. Their consistent ability to attract the best players in the world shows this.

gimmick wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy this book?

Barça. The best year of our life

Cannot see anywhere selling it.

Nope. I was looking online for it myself. It says in the FCBotiga and bookshops! Best bet is to ask Easons or Waterstones could they order it perhaps. If you find it let me know.

Rumours today that Arsenal are interested in a £8m move for Bojan. The club are only interested in a loan deal seemingly but the player was quoted as saying if he moves in January he only wants a permanent move and not a loan deal.

Howard Webb will take charge for wednesday nights crucial champions league tie away to Dynamo Kiev. Barca technically still have not qualified for the knock-out stage and can still be eliminated although it seems highly unlikely. A draw will see them qualify but a victory will be required to top the group should Rubin beat Inter.

Ibrahimovic 'not motivated' to play for Sweden

Barcelona's Swedish international Zlatan Ibrahimovic, one of Europe's top stars, said Monday he was 'not motivated' to play for his national team after it failed to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

'I am not motivated,' the 28-year-old striker told a news conference after a training session when asked about his future with the Swedish national team.

'It is a huge honour to play for the squad but we should wait to see what will happen in the future. At the moment I have other things on my mind.'

Ibrahimovic, who has scored 22 goals in 62 internationals, was voted Sweden's player of the year for the fourth straight time last month for his exploits with Inter Milan and the national team ahead of his move to Barca.

While he has dazzled for Barca and Inter Milan - he was named Italian Player of the Year in 2009 --Ibrahimovic has at times struggled to score for Sweden.

The Swedes will miss out on playing in South Africa next year after appearing in the last five major football championships: the European championships in 2000, 2004 and 2008 and the World Cups of 2002 and 2006.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1207/ibrahimovic.html

Have to say I dont really understand this to be honest. At 28 he is still young enough to go on and certainly try for Euro 2012. Not even sure if its Barca gain as some players who retired early from International football havent really reaped the benefits.

Messi: End the year in style

Life could not be much sweeter for Lionel Messi at the moment. The Argentinian wizard won everything there was to win with Barcelona last season and is playing a central part in their impressive progress this term. Inspired by the mercurial playmaker, the reigning Spanish and European champions stand top of La Liga, are poised to advance to the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League and will shortly set off on their quest to land the FIFA Club World Cup crown.

Displaying his usual modesty, Leo spoke exclusively to FIFA.com about Barcelona’s rich vein of form, the upcoming FIFA Club World Cup – one of the few trophies the Catalans have yet to win – and Argentina’s chances of success at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010™.

FIFA.com: Lionel, we now know the draw for South Africa 2010. Can Argentina win the title?
    Lionel Messi: We need to take things step by step, and we need to be calm and focus on each game. If we’re going to go all the way, then we have to win games first before we can start thinking about winning championships.

La Albiceleste had their problems in qualifying for the finals. How do you see the team at the moment?
    We’ve only just started a new phase with the national team. Now the qualifiers are over we feel a little more relaxed and we’ll start to see a major change in the way the team plays. We have all the time between now and the World Cup in which to work and to grow, and I think we’re going to see a significant change.

You played FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking leaders Spain a few weeks ago. What did you learn from the game?
    It was a good match. They were the better side in the first half but we improved a lot in the second and we had our chances to win it too. It was a good test for both sides. Spain play in a similar way to Barcelona. They have some absolutely fantastic players and there’s no doubt they play some lovely football.

Are they one of the favourites for South Africa 2010?
    To my mind Spain are the best side in the world today. They play the best football, get the best results and no one looks as secure as them. They have so much confidence right now and that’s essential for any team going into a major tournament.

Let’s move on to Barcelona, who have the FIFA Club World Cup coming up in Abu Dhabi, a very important competition. Are you excited about the chance to win another title before the year ends?
    It’s one title the club has never won and it’s one title that’s eluded most of the players at Barça. It’s also the last competition of what’s been a historic 2009 and we want to end the year in style. On a personal level, I’m really looking forward to it because it will help me keep on developing. It’s a big incentive for me to keep on winning trophies with Barcelona and to play in the World Cup in the summer.

You were injured the last time Barcelona appeared in the tournament in 2006. Do you think the team learned things it might find useful this time round?
    Yes, unfortunately I picked up an injury just before the tournament and I had to watch it in Argentina. I think the most important lesson we’ve learned is not to be over-confident and to get to know our opponents in depth. The last time we maybe thought that the other sides were a bit below us and that’s something we can’t afford to let happen again if we want to be champions.

Do you know much about your possible opponents in Abu Dhabi?
    No, not yet to be honest. But when the time comes the coach will make sure we know everything we need to know. There’s nothing that’s left to chance here. Obviously, being Argentinian I know a bit more about Estudiantes. They’re a team that likes to play good football and they have some great players. They also press a lot and they do it well, and they’ve got La Bruja (Juan Sebastian Veron), of course. He’s their linchpin and he sets the tempo for them.

This is the first time the tournament has been held in the United Arab Emirates. Do you know anything about that part of the world?
    No, no, but it interests me. It’s always good to get to know new places and it’s also the first time the competition has been held outside Japan for many years. It would be good if Barcelona could become the first champions in this new phase in its history. Even so, I don’t think we’ll have that much time to see much of the place. We usually go from the hotel to the stadium and from the stadium to the hotel. We’re not there to stroll around but to play, to do our job and win the tournament.

It could be your first trophy of the 2009/10 season and the start of another historic year perhaps.
    For sure. It’s important for us to win it and keep picking up trophies, and it will also help us maintain confidence in ourselves and in the way that we play. Even so, we still have a lot of other competitions to go for and a lot of games to play. Winning in Abu Dhabi doesn’t mean to say we’re going to go and win the rest. Like I said, we need to take each game as it comes. That’s the best way to win things.

Barcelona have been playing some wonderful football, though. Is this the best team you have ever played in?
    I don’t know. I was lucky enough to be involved when we won the Champions in 2006, which was another fantastic period for the club. We had some absolutely brilliant players like Ronaldinho, Deco and Samuel Eto’o. I was fortunate enough to be in that team and it was a wonderful time because of what we were, the players that we had and what we achieved. That team was fantastic and so is this one. They’ve both have won a lot of things and I can’t choose between them.

One last question. You've already won France Football’s Ballon d’Or and the FIFA World Player of the Year is going to be announced in a couple of weeks. Is this going to be the year you finally win it?
    I hope it is. This is the third time that I’ve been in with a chance and I hope it’s third time lucky for me (laughs).

From FIFA.com

• Advertisement

Nope. I was looking online for it myself. It says in the FCBotiga and bookshops! Best bet is to ask Easons or Waterstones could they order it perhaps. If you find it let me know.

I emailed the online shop and it is out of stock, so thats that for now anyway :(

I emailed the online shop and it is out of stock, so thats that for now anyway :(

Dont worry. I am sure it will pop up somewhere sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Some talk of Bojan to Arsenal at the moment, wonder if maybe instead of the 8m they're discussing they may try organise some kind of Bojan + money for Cesc deal?

I would really hate to see Bojan being shipped out. If given a proper run, he will score. His started games to goals scored ratio is not half bad either. Loan him out for a while, but please no sale.

Agreed, really thought he looked very sharp at the start of the season, I'd assume he will be given a run in the world club cup, that could decide alot.

Thats brings up another good question - what kind of squad should be brought to the WCC?

2 ways of looking at it -

balls out to complete the clean sweep, which would be just incredible for any manager, let alone Guardiola in his first series of competitions

or

Rest the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol, Ibra, Pique to make sure the tilt to complete the triplete is not hindered by injuries/burn out by playing them in what will be seen as entirely meaningless if nothing else is won this season.

Tough one to call, but all things considered Id have to go for the latter.

Probably the latter, but I believe Barca are on course to be the first club side ever to clean sweep every trophy they entered in a calender year - Can't deny that'd be pretty sweet. Maybe some kind of mix, bring the big guns, play mixed squads and lots of changes, never going too b-team-esque but never the strongest 11 either and it should be enough to take home the trophy and give Pedro, Bojan etc some more playing time.

Well certainly the likes of Chryginsky, Maxwell, Jeffren, Bojan, Pedro should all be given proper runs here, with, as you say, a few established 1st teamers as well.

Thats brings up another good question - what kind of squad should be brought to the WCC?

2 ways of looking at it -

balls out to complete the clean sweep, which would be just incredible for any manager, let alone Guardiola in his first series of competitions

or

Rest the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol, Ibra, Pique to make sure the tilt to complete the triplete is not hindered by injuries/burn out by playing them in what will be seen as entirely meaningless if nothing else is won this season.

Tough one to call, but all things considered Id have to go for the latter.
    FC Barcelona has given FIFA the official list of 23 players that will represent the Club at the World Club Cup from 16th to 19th December in the UAE.

There are 21 players from the senior squad and 2 from the reserves, Rubén Miño and Jonathan dos Santos. The full squad list is as follows. Valdés (1), Alves (2), Piqué (3), Márquez (4), Puyol (5), Xavi (6), Jeffren (7), Iniesta (8), Ibrahimovic (9), Messi (10), Bojan (11), Miño (12), Pinto (13), Henry (14), Keita (15), Busquets (16), Pedro (17), Milito (18), Maxwell (19), Jonathan (20), Chigrinskiy (21), Abidal (22) and Touré Yaya (24).

Everyone is going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Reckon on display will be;

Pinto

--Alves
    Chyg---Marquez---Maxwell-

Keita
    Toure
    Xavi

Messi
    Bojan
    Pedro

I really wanna see Barca win this trophy. Like way more than it's actual worth! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Whilst normally the World Club Championships are just for showboating and little more than glorified friendlies I really think Barca will be taking it seriously for 2 reasons:

1. They have never won it
    2. The ultimate clean sweep

I think Guardiola will treat it the same as the Spanish Cup, rotating the squad and playing the full team in the Final.

Warper wrote: »
    Whilst normally the World Club Championships are just for showboating and little more than glorified friendlies I really think Barca will be taking it seriously for 2 reasons:

1. They have never won it
    2. The ultimate clean sweep

I think Guardiola will treat it the same as the Spanish Cup, rotating the squad and playing the full team in the Final.

They will also make history by becoming the first team to ever win all competitions they have entered in a calendar year.

Just at to watching the first half of the Juve v Bayern game and have to say Caceres has been very poor not to mention he gave away the penalty. This in fairness is in contrast to the positive things I have been reading about him since his move to Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Just at to watching the first half of the Juve v Bayern game and have to say Caceres has been very poor not to mention he gave away the penalty. This in fairness is in contrast to the positive things I have been reading about him since his move to Juve.

I dont know where you have reading those reports but he is prone to making rash tackles. He just lunges in without thinking and will always be liable for giving away a penalty or getting sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I'd have to go for a 50.50 line up for this game.

Pinto in goal.
    Defensive back four of Marquez, Pique, Puyol and Maxwell
    Midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Keita
    Forwards Messi, Bojan and Pedro

I know Marquez hasn't played RB in a while but I think he needs to be fitter if he is to be an asset at all this season. And what better way to give him a morale boost than play him in this game =P
    I'd give Bojan the freedom to move around up front with Messi and Pedro swapping wings regularly. This allow's Xavi and Keita more time on the ball and ultimately more time to control the game :)

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    I'd have to go for a 50.50 line up for this game.

Pinto in goal.
    Defensive back four of Marquez, Pique, Puyol and Maxwell
    Midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Keita
    Forwards Messi, Bojan and Pedro

I know Marquez hasn't played RB in a while but I think he needs to be fitter if he is to be an asset at all this season. And what better way to give him a morale boost than play him in this game =P
    I'd give Bojan the freedom to move around up front with Messi and Pedro swapping wings regularly. This allow's Xavi and Keita more time on the ball and ultimately more time to control the game :)

Are you talking about tonights game, or the opener of the WCC? Id almost agree if for teh WCC, but tonight is far too important for any messing at all.

Pinto is the Copa keeper.

No way Jose is he playing tonight.

I expect a near full strength side which means Ibra, Iniesta, Abidal and Alves to differ from yours.

Barca wanna win this group after last nights results I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I've read Juve want to buy him as he's doing so well.

In fairness in last nights game, every Juve player was pretty rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Anyone know what the craic is with the Kiev match tonight? Rte have been advertising it on the telly but according to the website they'll be showing the Liverpool match instead. I know I could watch it on sky but tbh I'm dying to hear what Dunphy makes of Ibra:p.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the craic is with the Kiev match tonight? Rte have been advertising it on the telly but according to the website they'll be showing the Liverpool match instead. I know I could watch it on sky but tbh I'm dying to hear what Dunphy makes of Ibra:p.

Ah they'll defo be covering the Liverpool game. They might look at highlights of the game after so Dunphy can quickly call Puyol a headbanger.:D

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ah they'll defo be covering the Liverpool game. They might look at highlights of the game after so Dunphy can quickly call Puyol a headbanger.:D

Someone said last night that RTE are showing the Barca game cause Liverpool are out.

If he plays on Wednesday night against Kiev, Xavi Hernández will appear in is 100th Champions League game. He made his European debut in the 1998-99 season and has scored a total of 6 goals in his 99 games so far.

Group F is the only group in which all four teams are still in with a chance of qualifying for the next round and all of them depend solely on their own results. The Catalan press are predicting the same starting 11 that plaed against Deportivo on saturday.

I would be shocked if RTE showed a non premiership team this early as their main feature.

Though as mentioned, it could be great fun to hear Dunphy calling them all over rated and none wouild make it into the Chelsea XI etc

Someone said last night that RTE are showing the Barca game cause Liverpool are out.

Looks like you're right! According to entertainment.ie anyway.

Dunphy says Barca can't defend, they're accidents waiting to happen, Xavi and Iniesta can pass a football, Ibra a waste of space and Messi the best player ever.

I would be shocked if RTE showed a non premiership team this early as their main feature.

Though as mentioned, it could be great fun to hear Dunphy calling them all over rated and none wouild make it into the Chelsea XI etc

Lets not forget he has backed Arsenal of all teams, to win the CL. Also saying they're like Barca only better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Dunphy says Barca can't defend, they're accidents waiting to happen, Xavi and Iniesta can pass a football, Ibra a waste of space and Messi the best player ever.

His point of views are like a bag of liquorice allsorts. An Ibrahimagic hattrick tonight will sort him out.

The Sky planner still says Liverpool.

I for one would just love to hear the half time comments.

1-3 for Barca tonight.

Haha, so far

- Ibra has had trouble integrating. Not sure about him. Poor in the air
    - Pep persists with Busquets despite him being not up to it
    - Pedro is not ready for the first team yet.
    - The back four should have been strengthened. This is funny.
    - Surprised Pique has a CL medal (he has 2 Eamonn)

Haha, so far

- Ibra has had trouble integrating. Not sure about him. Poor in the air
    - Pep persists with Busquets despite him being not up to it
    - Pedro is not ready for the first team yet.
    - The back four should have been strengthened. This is funny.
    - Surprised Pique has a CL medal (he has 2 Eamonn)

Yeah, really suprised he said that about Pedro considering how well he's doing!

.....actually I'm not suprised at all. Oh, and Ibra was actually bought by Laporta according to Dunphy.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Yeah, really suprised he said that about Pedro considering how well he's doing!

.....actually I'm not suprised at all. Oh, and Ibra was actually bought by Laporta according to Dunphy.:p

And cost exactly 68 million. :confused:

It's funny too how dunphy's being ridiculed by those who took him as some kind of hero for his similar comments about ronaldo not so long ago. Not picking on anybody in particular, just the general consensus.

• Advertisement

The ratings on goal.com are a joke. Said Messi should have stayed up under the tackles?

FFS like, he was being kicked from pillar to post, did him limping off at the end not show that like?

The referee was an absolute joke today. Messi got absolutely kicked out of it with no punishment and Ibrahimovic seemed to give away a foul every time he got ten yards from the ball. Honestly don't think he touched it without being blown up for something, it was madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Lionel Messi - Wow!

It's not even so much his sheer ability but the absolute character of the man. The worst I saw was Real's hatchet job on him last season, they literally tried to injure him, he just kept getting up and running at them and obviously ultimately got a goal in the last few minutes too.

Howard Webb as ref. Typical. He was prolly thinking on when he's giving Man. United their next decision rather than protecting Messi.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What can Messi achieve? It's almost a jinx to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Messi is absolutely amazing, I really envy you that get to see him playing week in, week out, it must be extraordinary.

I don't really tend to watch Barca games as I'm usually out and about on Saturday and Sunday nights, so I just have a question about Messi:

I know he performs to a high level against the top teams, but how does he compare against the lesser teams in La Liga, obviously talent wise he's still head and shoulders above anyone on the field but does he turn it on when the going gets tough?

Messi has seemingly sprained his ankle and is a serious doubt for Saturdays Catalan Derby against Espanyol. That could mean a return to the side for Pedro.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How bad was Valdes' mistake?
    I know he performs to a high level against the top teams, but how does he compare against the lesser teams in La Liga, obviously talent wise he's still head and shoulders above anyone on the field but does he turn it on when the going gets tough?

Yes. With his arms tied behind his back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

dfx- wrote: »
    Yes. With his arms tied behind his back

And one leg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement