Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

MOG7 wrote: »
    That is unreal, those stats really are scary. Other than Messi i have been so impressed by Bisquets the last year, is he the best player in the Makelele role since Makelele himself? Bisquets role go un-noticed most of the time yet he really is so important.

Does anybody have highlights of tonights game, i just seen the end of it on sky tonight.

I think he is a fantastic player, but he dives/goes down too easy, on far too many occasions for my liking, but it's part of the football in spain so I dont really hold it against him too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

All 3 finalists for the Ballon d'or are Barca.

This is possibly a first with all 3 finalists belonging to the one club?

Fits nicely with the eight World cup winners also being another first.

Visca Barca!

Edit: apparently Milan had 3 finalists twice in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I think he is a fantastic player, but he dives/goes down too easy, on far too many occasions for my liking, but it's part of the football in spain so I dont really hold it against him too much.

I don't think there is any point singling out one player for criticism on that front.
    Diving is widespread, it's not just a Spain/Barca thing. The poster boys of the PL have also been known to frequently collapse upon feeling a gust of wind.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just thinking about tonights game against Rubin and wonder will Messi play. He always seems to get some few minutes regardless of the game?

Personally I hope he is in the stand tonight to rest his legs. Socidedad is a far more important game at the weekend than tonight.

Hopefully the team like line up like this

Pinto
    Bartra....Muniesa....Fontas....Maxwell
    .........Mascherano.............
    Thiago................Adriano
    Bojan.....Jeffren.....Nolito

That back 4 will not start. Far too inexperienced. Plus Bartra is a centre half not a RB, but it alarms me that there is zero cover aside from Puyol for right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

gimmick wrote: »
    Just thinking about tonights game against Rubin and wonder will Messi play. He always seems to get some few minutes regardless of the game?

Personally I hope he is in the stand tonight to rest his legs. Socidedad is a far more important game at the weekend than tonight.

Pinto

That back 4 will not start. Far too inexperienced. Plus Bartra is a centre half not a RB, but it alarms me that there is zero cover aside from Puyol for right back.

I'd like to see a similar side to that start but i can't see Pep doing it, he never seems to rest too many players. Unless some of the players aren't up for it after the travelling to the game at the weekend thats the only way i can see him making more than 4 or 5 changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just reading a book at the moment on Messis life.

Hugo Rodallega reckoned he's better than Messi!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Pinto

As far as I know Messi is included in the squad and I would'nt be surprised to see him playing although I think it will be more likely that he will be on the bench and if Barca are struggling he might come on to play for 15/20 minutes and score two goals and win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I hope Messi plays as I have him backed for top-scorer @ 7-1. But really he should be given the night off though he is the type of player that just loves playing. If he wasnt playing professionally he would be playing every night anyways.

Nice performance tonight. Job done. Very impressed by Thiago. JDS was not too shabby either.

Now, this

• Advertisement

Good result with the squad that was out. Fontas looks good, he needs another year or two of experience though. Thiago seemed to lose possesion alot tonight and very cheaply but he did have a good game and he got into some good positions, it seems like he is trying too hard and trying to play some impossible passes when the easier pass is the better option although he is still very young so this can be excused as the potential is obviously there. The way he moves and plays reminds me more of a Ronaldinho type player than a Xavi or Iniesta type.

Busquets played very well tonight I thought although he went of the boil in the second half a bit and gave away possesion with some poor passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

So far this season, from the first game vs. Racing to tonight including CL games and the Copa Del Rey vs. Cueta, Barça have scored 65 and conceded only 12 in 23 games.

12 of that 23 they've scored 3 or more goals

And from the 8-0 mauling of Almeria, it's currently Barcelona 26 - 0 conceded....

Simply astonishing

While I think Barca look almost unstoppable at the moment, the only team I can see standing in the way is Joses Real Madrid.

Manyoo, Chelsea, Arsenal, Milan, INTER Milan will not beat Barca, Real? I think that the lesson they were thought last week may come back to haunt Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

While I think Barca look almost unstoppable at the moment, the only team I can see standing in the way is Joses Real Madrid.

Manyoo, Chelsea, Arsenal, Milan, INTER Milan will not beat Barca, Real? I think that the lesson they were thought last week may come back to haunt Barca.

Things could be very different in a few months time. At the minute, they are unplayable. But things can change very quickly with injuries, suspensions etc. No matter how good a team is, those problems can change things. Champions League is always open to possibility of an upset too.

There is also the possibility of peaking too early in the season. The Spanish WC players may suffer later in the season too. That can often happen and results in an end of season collapse in form.

I'm not for one second saying that any of that will happen, but just playing Devil's Advocate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Down with that sort of talk but I agree kinda. Barca and Real are clearly the 2 best teams in Europe atm with Barca being the best. Mourinho's teams do get better as the season progresses so nothing is won yet but Barca are favs for everything. The main concern is squad depth as we need Xavi and Messi to stay fit.

• Advertisement

There is also the possibility of peaking too early in the season. The Spanish WC players may suffer later in the season too. That can often happen and results in an end of season collapse in form.

I'm not for one second saying that any of that will happen, but just playing Devil's Advocate.

Funnily enough, this is somethimg Pep has worked against. The team seemed to have worked toward peak fitness for late November/early december, and then to have a break again at Christmas. Then for another peak to build in mid march and maintain until the end of the season. That is what the pundits said about Barcas odd form at the start of the season and how it would build.

I have no worries about peaking etc. Injuries perhaps, but my main worry is Jose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Espanyol next week could well stop Barcelona in their tracks..

Great reception for Raul Tamudo tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

By my count, Messi has scored 54 goals in this calendar year (so far). Then there's the assists, indirect assists and all-round quality of his play.

That there's even a question about whether he'll win the Ballon D'Or is tribute to Xavi and Iniesta but I just don't see how it can't be Messi. Unreal.

Ok Messis second goal tonight was superb but I don't know if it was unbelievably good or that Sociedad were very poor for it........

actually no I think it was pure class and that he is getting that good at scoring those type of goals that he makes them look so positively normal and easy and it is a testament to how good a player he is to make the difficult look easy.

I tend to agree with this opinion although the draw is set up for an Inter + Etoo Vs Barca or a Milan + Ibra Vs Barca in the next round. The tabloids must be licking their lips hoping that Barca draw one of these.

I could be mad in this thinking but I think that if Barca draw Spurs later on in the tournament the game could be pretty interesting (if Spurs get that far/or if Barca get that far:rolleyes:). That potential game could be great, Barca could absolutely destroy them with possesion football but then again Spurs could seriously cause Barca a few problems on the break. I would be more worried of a player like Lennon up against Abidal than Walcott or anyone else of that type.

• Advertisement

dagdha wrote: »
    I tend to agree with this opinion although the draw is set up for an Inter + Etoo Vs Barca or a Milan + Ibra Vs Barca in the next round. The tabloids must be licking their lips hoping that Barca draw one of these.

I could be mad in this thinking but I think that if Barca draw Spurs later on in the tournament the game could be pretty interesting (if Spurs get that far/or if Barca get that far:rolleyes:). That potential game could be great, Barca could absolutely destroy them with possesion football but then again Spurs could seriously cause Barca a few problems on the break. I would be more worried of a player like Lennon up against Abidal than Walcott or anyone else of that type.

I agree if we came up against Spurs Lennon and Bale would be the main threat, i'd be more worried about Bale mainly because Alves is so far forward all of the time. Saying that Alves and Abidal and both very powerful men, i can't see Lennon getting the better of Abidal really. Also Barca would tear Spurs' back 4 to pieces. I would still worry more about Chelsea than any other team.

150 Messi goals, all of his Barca goals up to the end of last month afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

pure genius

More Messi, 10 years ago this week since he signed

http://backpagefootball.com/featured/messi-a-decade-in-the-sun/

Anyone else nervous ahead of the game tonight?

Yes...nervous last week about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

5-1!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Lionel Messi, is without doubt, my favourite ever player never to play for St Pats/Liverpool.

He's the greatest i have ever seen and i have no doubt (hopefully he avoids serious injury) that he will turn into the greatest ever.

Barca stats this season so far..........

barcastats.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

77 goals already? ****ing hell, Messi 27 goals and 15 assists. Unreal.

Also Lol at Pique's 10 yellow cards. :o

77 goals is madness. Pedro is doing very nicely too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

77 goals is madness. Pedro is doing very nicely too.

Reckon Bojan be sold cos Pedros doing so well and Bojan is a bit crap.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Reckon Bojan be sold cos Pedros doing so well and Bojan is a bit crap.

I really like Bojan, i'd hate to see him go but i reckon with Affellay coming in Bojan may well be sold, he'd be a starter and do well with nearly any other La Liga side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I really like Bojan, i'd hate to see him go but i reckon with Affellay coming in Bojan may well be sold, he'd be a starter and do well with nearly any other La Liga side.

Man City pay more, not a big fan of him tbh think Van Persie is perfect for their front 3.

prolly posted already i didnt check :pac:

150 goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Is Frank Bagnack rated anywhere decent for your underage teams?

Only reason I ask is because he suffered a horrific ankle break a couple of days ago in a tournament in Brazil. Footage here, not for the faint hearted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Is Frank Bagnack rated anywhere decent for your underage teams?

Only reason I ask is because he suffered a horrific ankle break a couple of days ago in a tournament in Brazil. Footage here, not for the faint hearted :(

He's one of the many big powerful African's we have coming up through the youth academy at the moment actually. Wouldn't be as highly rated as the attacking African players like Gael Etock, Keita Balde, and Jean-Marie Dongou. Those were the guys who won Manchester United's Premier Cup thing, that team pretty much strolled through every team they played against, and the Africans were the standout players in the tournament.

Shocking injury though, and I hope he comes through it ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Only a couple of seasons ago Bojan was touted as the next Raul has he failed to progress since then?

How would he be suited to the premier league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Only a couple of seasons ago Bojan was touted as the next Raul has he failed to progress since then?

Nah, it's just that the Barca first team is incredibly hard to get into at the moment, you can't justify dropping any of Pedro/ Messi/ Villa, so he's consigned to the final 10 minutes of games and the Copa Del Rey. He's more suited to La Liga and Serie A than the EPL though, he isn't the strongest, but he's getting there.

At 5'7" i'm not sure he'd do briliantly in England. If i was Pep i'd be keeping him. He's not even doing too bad if you consider the ammount of time he has played compared to Pedro, at the moment i would rate Pedro higher but i don't think Bojan is too far behind. He is only 20 which means he still has 3 years on Pedro who 3 years ago had never even scored for Barca.

He has scored 4 league goals this season and has provided about the same in assists. Considering I doubt he has played 200 mins combined in the league this season, that is not so bad. The kid is still only 20. I said at the start of the season I think he will score 20 this season and I stand by that still. As Eze said, none of the front 3 can be benched when they are all playing so well.

• Advertisement

I think Bojan is replaceable, tbh. A bit too much shoot-on-sight for me.

dfx- wrote: »
    I think Bojan is replaceable, tbh. A bit too much shoot-on-sight for me.

I agree, but tbh i'd rather a barca youth product than any other young kid, i will be surprised if Pep sells him too...

Very nice, does every player in Spain come with a buy out clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

As far as I'm aware yes, every player has a buy-out clause in their contracts and also, under the rules of the Spanish FA, the clubs also have to publicly state the buy-out clause of players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Emelio

Barcalona are very powerful side.
    i cannot understand how they finance such a squad though. It is confusing for me.
    I hope that one day my team (Sevilla) will again challenge for major honours.

• Advertisement

Andrés Iniesta: Barcelona’s Once-in-a-Lifetime Guy

20iht-soccer2-articleLarge.jpg
    LONDON — If ever we doubt that sporting values still hold in the mercenary modern era, then the last weekend before Christmas was gold dust.

Before the Catalan derby match on Saturday between Espanyol and FC Barcelona at the new Cornellà-El Prat stadium, it was a player from the visiting team who received the applause of the 40,000 men, women and children in the audience.

And then, five minutes before the end, with Espanyol suffering a 5-1 home defeat, its supporters stood to applaud the same Barcelona player in that same spine-tingling manner.

This, trust me, is a once in a lifetime thing.

Andrés Iniesta is a once in a lifetime kind of guy. He gets a warm reception everywhere he goes, in every Spanish stadium no matter how hostile the atmosphere.

It is recognition for the little man who came in off his wing to volley the game-winning goal in the Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg last July, giving Spain the World Cup for the first time.

But the Cornellà is something different. It is the stadium of Espanyol, the other club of Barcelona. We should never say the second club, but of course it is smaller, less rich, and I dare say has a lesser team than the all-star line up of El Barça.

The philosophy is different, the means are different, but the rivalry is eternal and strong.

However, even the most partisan followers of Real Club Deportivo Español make an exception for “San” Andrés. And this goes deeper than gratitude for bringing home the Cup.

Cast your mind back to that South Africa night last summer. You might recall Iniesta’s first impulse after he scored that goal. He ran toward the crowd, tearing off his shirt and revealing an undershirt with the inscription: “Dani Jarque siempre con nosotros.”

It translates to “Dani Jarque, always with us.”

The words were in memory of a friend. Iniesta, and for that matter Cesc Fàbregas and others who shared that national triumph, had been raised with Jarque.

The personal friendship between Iniesta and Jarque deepened as they grew up together in the Spanish youth teams.

They represented the country at every level from 16 years to 21. Spain, better than any other nation, nurtures its young by identifying talent in adolescence and bringing it through as a group to manhood.

Barcelona is a mighty part of that, because seven players on its current team lined up in the World Cup final. Iniesta, though not born a Catalan, is a product of Barça’s La Masia academy.

Dani Jarque came up through the cross-town Espanyol apprenticeship.

Their bond was stronger than any division between the two clubs of the same city.

“I felt it on the field,” Iniesta said before he departed the stadium on Saturday. “This is the biggest thing. People sent me messages. People are more important than rivalries.”

Unless I am mistaken, Iniesta will very soon start cleaning up awards as the world’s outstanding player of 2010.

Also vying for those awards are two Barcelona teammates, Lionel Messi and Xavi Hernandez.

And while the match Saturday reiterated that there is no player on earth more special than Messi, and none more influential to Barcelona than Xavi, Iniesta ’s strike in the 116th minute of a World Cup final will probably seal him those awards.

Even his club coach, Pep Guardiola, felt there was something exceptional about Espanyol’s affection towards Iniesta.

Exceptional, too, was the Barça team spirit. If there is one place where all its secrets are known, it is inside Espanyol. The clubs are so close that Espanyol hires former youth players from its neighbor — including five on its current squad.

Yet once they cross the city, cross the line, they become the fiercest of rivals. Up to Saturday, Espanyol had played seven La Liga matches in its own stadium and won seven. It had conceded a mere two goals.

Its coach, the Argentine Mauricio Pochettino, made threats that his men would be just as aggressive as he was. Pochettino earned more red cards as a player than any other man in an Espanyol shirt.

He had captained Espanyol, just as Jarque, a big, strong central defender, was chosen to do a few years after Pochettino retired.

Alas, poor Dani Jarque. He collapsed and died of a heart attack while at preseason camp with Espanyol in Florence. He was 26, and he simply stopped breathing while talking on the telephone with his girlfriend, who was seven months pregnant.

That was why Jarque was uppermost in the mind of Iniesta last July in Johannesburg.

That was why Iniesta, though he intended to keep the undershirt, felt it belonged with Espanyol. He donated it to the club a month ago.

And that, surely, was why everyone applauded Iniesta on Saturday.

Unfortunately, the English referee at the World Cup final ruined the moment in Johannesburg by showing Iniesta a yellow card for removing his shirt.

It is in the FIFA rule book, so referee Howard Webb did as the rule dictates.

He showed Iniesta the same color card that he had flashed at Nigel De Jong after the Dutchman’s kung fu kick into the chest of Xabi Alonso during the final.

If FIFA has a conscience, it will revise that rule. It could do it in memory of Jarque, or in plain common decency.

But Barcelona is more than a club, more than a city, more than an act of sentimentality.

Guardiola’s team, three quarters of it grown at La Masia, proved again that it is among the finest ever to play soccer. Maybe the Real Madrid of the 1950s, possibly the AC Milan of the 1990s, were as great, but this Barça is still growing.

Guardiola is still learning to coach it. The display Saturday, with two goals from Pedro, two from David Villa, one from Xavi and more breathtaking creativity from Messi, was against a good, tough opponent.

Espanyol chased, kicked, and scored the first goal anyone has scored against Barcelona in seven matches. For Barcelona, which has won 10 consecutive matches, five goals a game is becoming a norm. An exceptional team, to be sure, with a saint on the wing. Iniesta doesn’t say a lot about his own talents, but Pablo Picasso, a former resident of this city, once wrote: “It is not what the artist does that counts, but what he is.”

Source: New York Times

Anybody else see what he said last night on Monday Night Football? I have'nt seen it but there is an article on goal.com about it saying that he does'nt think Messi is good enough to play in the EPL against the likes of Stoke. I can't stand Andy Gray and this is another tick against him, this man talks complete nonsense and the sooner the better Sky and everyone else realise it the better. Granted I read this on goal.com so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt as that site is known to fabricate its own stories.

He also said that Barca would struggle in the premier league because they never come against the likes of Stoke City..... Laughable.

LMAO at this one........
    boj6mg1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

slip up tonight with a draw at home :eek:

Afellay will be arriving in Barca tomorrow and the signing will take place on friday.

Nolito is off to join Benfica next season.

Laporta has been invited to the FIFA Ballon d'Or ceremony.

Rosell on Pep earlier today "Guardiola could be the Barca Ferguson. He can extend his contract as many times as he wants. Pep is Barca. He lives for this club. That is what differentiates him from many coaches."

Reports that Real Madrid are trying to lure Gerard Deulofeu to the Spanish capital - goodluck with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement