Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Barcelona are poised to test Juventus with bids for Gianluigi Buffon and David Trezeguet, despite both the agents of both player stating that they are unlikely to move.

The Blaugrana have been planning their summer rebuilding plans for over three months and the Italian goalkeeper and the French striker have been on their shopping list since the beginning.

Last summer, when Samuel Eto'o appeared to be set to leave Camp Nou, coach Pep Guardiola told technical secretary Txiki Begiristain that Trezeguet was his number one choice as a replacement.

Now the Catalan outfit are planning to make their interest concrete with a bid that could see Juve have to weigh up whether they can afford to hold on to their stars, Il Corriere dello Sport states.

Victor Valdes' position at Barcelona is the same as Eto'o's, with both players due to have contract talks about new deals. Both are still uncertain whether they will be offered what they believe they are worth.

Several goalkeepers have been linked with Barca already this season, however, Buffon would be the number one choice and his agent, Silvano Martina, has admitted that should an offer be made it would have to be considered.

Eto'o claims to have made up his mind regarding whether he will stay or go this summer, with the options being to pen a new deal or be sold. If he decides to leave, Guardiola would prefer Trezeguet to the much-touted David Villa due to his greater physique.
    ---

I remember them being linked with Trezeguet alot last summer....

---

Arsenal forward Robin van Persie has emerged as a transfer target for Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona, with the club set to make a massive bid to prise the player from Ashburton Grove in the summer.

English tabloid The Daily Mirror reports that, at 25-years old, Van Persie has a desire to win trophies, something which he is concerned may not happen with the Gunners for the foreseeable future.

Despite a bumper new contract being offered by Arsene Wenger, the player stated recently, “Economically the offer from Arsenal is good, but this is not everything for me.

“The most important thing are my ambitions and how these can be met.”

Guardiola and technical director Txiki Beguiristain are thought to be long-time admirers of the Dutchman, and it is thought that if a bid were to come in then Van Persie would seriously consider the move to advance his career.

The Mirror believes that Barcelona are lining up a €31m bid to test Arsenal’s desire to retain one of their most prized assets, and Van Persie himself will be offered in the region of €5m a year to swap London for Catalonia.

Van Persie moved to Arsenal in 2004 for a fee of €3m from Dutch side Feyenoord, and has made over 100 appearances for the Gunners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

tbh with adeboyar, eduardo, vela, bendtner in the squad. plus walcott who's favourite position is striker, plus the possibility of playing arshavin behind the main forward, we could afford to lose RVP for €20m+. A tidy sum to invest in other areas of the team that we are not as well stocked in.

ps. f**K off and leave fabregas alone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Kirnsy wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Well Wenger's slimey hands in the first place were the reason we lost Fabregas. Anyway, we have superior players in our midfield, no need for him for another few years anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

eZe^ wrote: »
    Well Wenger's slimey hands in the first place were the reason we lost Fabregas. Anyway, we have superior players in our midfield, no need for him for another few years anyway. :D

owch..... mr yaya toure must really be some player ;)

owch..... mr yaya toure must really be some player ;)

He's turned your lot down a few times anyway, and that's with the influence of nepotism... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Lucio and Van Buyten both out for Bayern tomorrow

Barcelona To Clash With Milan In Friendly Benefit For Earthquake Victims
    The Catalan chief is showing his hand in an attempt to offer support to the Italians following the L'Aquila earthquake...

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has proposed a friendly match with Milan, with the proceeds of the event going towards helping the victims of the earthquake.

The Rossoneri have already promised financial help for those who have been affected by the disaster which has claimed 251 lives so far in L'Aquila, central Italy.

There is now the possibility of a glamour friendly between the giants of European football in order to help the rescue operation even further. Laporta has confirmed that he has been making plans to organise a game as the Spanish club lend their support to an Italian cause.

"I phoned my friend Adriano Galliani proposing to play a friendly between Barcelona and Milan," Laporta told La Gazzetta Dello Sport.

"The money raised will go to all the families which have been affected by the tragedy of the recent earthquake."

Ronaldinho and Gianluca Zambrotta would be up against their old team-mates if the Rossoneri agree to staging the match.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/04/08/1198307/barcelona-to-clash-with-milan-in-friendly-match

Champions League - Team news: Toure, Hleb play

Barcelona midfielders Yaya Toure and Alexander Hleb have recovered from minor injuries and are in the squad for Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final first leg against Bayern Munich.

Ivory Coast international Toure (pictured) and Hleb of Belarus were suffering from leg muscle strains and missed the league leaders' 1-0 win over Real Valladolid on Saturday.

Hleb is unlikely to be in coach Pep Guardiola's starting line-up but defensive midfielder Toure could be an important factor in stopping Bayern playmaker Franck Ribery.

Guardiola singled out the Frenchman and Italian striker Luca Toni as a key threat to the Catalans' hopes of progressing to the semi-finals, where they would play Liverpool or Chelsea.

"Ribery is a player with a big personality and great all-round ability," Guardiola said.

"Toni is a different kind of player, very intelligent and particularly dangerous in the penalty area," added the former Barcelona and Spain midfielder, who played with Toni during a stint at Italian club Brescia.

Guardiola suggested Bayern had a small advantage in being able to play the second leg of the last eight tie at home on April 14 and said his side would be aiming to attack the Germans from the start of Wednesday's clash.

"We will play the ball around as usual and try to create rhythm and tempo and make it difficult for Bayern to get the ball," he said.

"We are going to have to be at our very highest level to score goals and we know that at this level your mistakes are punished ruthlessly, especially against a team like Bayern."

Bayern defender Daniel van Buyten will miss the trip to Spain because of personal reasons.

"The team left on Tuesday midday without Van Buyten for the match against Barcelona," the club said on their website.

Van Buyten is the second central defender to be ruled out, after Brazilian Lucio picked up a muscle injury in Bayern's 5-1 defeat against Wolfsburg on Saturday and will be out for several days.

Coach Juergen Klinsmann is expected to rely on Martin Demichelis and 19-year-old Brazilian Breno to harness the Spaniards' pace.

He also brought in Holger Badstuber from the reserve team.

Van Buyten, who had travelled back to Belgium to deal with family affairs days ago, briefly returned to Munich but left again shortly before the team was set to fly out.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08042009/58/champions-league-team-news-toure-hleb-play.html

Bought tickets to the Getafe v Barca game this morning. Never been to the actual ticket desk in the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez before as I usually by from the internet but was shocked to see half the first team squad sitting in the tiny cafeteria next to the ticket desk. Very open friendly setup. One can walk right up to the players and join them as the cafeteria is open to the public. I met 'Cata' Díaz (mean looking bastard) and ex-Real Madrid man Soldado. Quite a pleasant surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

www.football365.com
    Both The Daily Mirror and The Daily Mail report that Barcelona have joined the queue of suitors for one Daniel Agger.

While AC Milan and Juventus have reportedly had a long-standing interest in the Danish defender, but the papers claim that Barca are now also sniffing around Agger, who is in the middle of discussions to extend his contract, which runs out next summer.

A worrying passage for Liverpool in the Mail suggests that Agger might be thinking of doing one, with plenty of options to consider:

'He is in no hurry to commit himself and is believed to have indicated to friends that he will delay any decision until the summer, when he will weigh up a variety of options.'

Interesting. I would far prefer Barca bolstered the defensive options rather than the attacking ones. Apart from Pique and Puyol I do not really trust and of the others, and even then....................

Some pics I took at tonights Barca v Getafe match. Had great seats directly behind the Barca dugout.

p1010215v.jpg
    p1010218v.jpg
    p1010233i.jpg
    p1150311.jpg
    p1150361.jpg
    p1150408.jpg
    p1150440.jpg
    p1150451.jpg
    p1150465n.jpg

My Favourite is Marquez receiving a ear-bashing off Pep
    p1150470.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Some great pictures there, really like the Iniesta one, makes him look even more like a vampire!

On a side note, would you mind me asking how much the equipment costs to get that level of quality?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Some great pictures there, really like the Iniesta one, makes him look even more like a vampire!

On a side note, would you mind me asking how much the equipment costs to get that level of quality?

No special equipment. I had an Olympus and the girlfriend had a Panasonic which cost about €250 each. That was obviously nothing compared to the photographers beside us with 100x zoom lenses ! Some of the pics have good detail because we were sitting right behind the dugout. The Iniesta one was down to luck more than anything else if being honest although it did come off quite well :D The getafe stadium is so small that the technical box is only about 3-5 yards in length as its right up against the pitch

A few more.

I shouted at Messi here and to my amazement he actually looked straight at me.
    p1150473.jpg
    p1150475o.jpg
    p1150479q.jpg
    p1150652.jpg
    p1150667k.jpg
    p1150680.jpg
    p4180242.jpg
    p4180304.jpg
    p1010216k.jpg
    p1010230e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Man, it must have been surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

How much did that camera cost you redout?

Looks top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Terrific shots mate. Well done. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I have a friend who lives in and supports Getafe, i must visit him sometime a big team are in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

pics look great.... very rare to get that close to the pitch and see so much of the action...

So Henry is a doubt for El Clasico after being injured against Chelsea. He has some neck discomfort and feelings of dizziness and sat out training on wednesday.

Marquez is the only absentee from the 19 players who travel to Madrid after damaging his meniscus against Chelsea and will miss the remainder of the season.

Squad to travel to Madrid are as follows:

Valdés, Jorquera, Henry, Xavi, Piqué, Iniesta, Puyol, Caceres, Sylvinho, Bojan, Eto'o, Messi, Hleb, Daniel Alves, Abidal, Keita, Gudjohnsen, Touré, Sergio Busquets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

redout wrote: »
    No special equipment. I had an Olympus and the girlfriend had a Panasonic which cost about €250 each. That was obviously nothing compared to the photographers beside us with 100x zoom lenses ! Some of the pics have good detail because we were sitting right behind the dugout. The Iniesta one was down to luck more than anything else if being honest although it did come off quite well :D The getafe stadium is so small that the technical box is only about 3-5 yards in length as its right up against the pitch

Is it tough to get tickets for a game like that?

Barca 'agree' Ribery deal
    Bayern thought to have accepted £30million package

Barcelona have reached an agreement with Bayern Munich to sign French star Franck Ribery, according to reports in Spain.

Ribery has been a long-term target for Barca and the Catalan giants are thought to have a struck a deal with Bayern to sign the 26-year-old winger this summer.

El Mundo Deportivo claims that representatives of the two clubs met with Ribery's agent Alain Migliaccio in Ibiza, agreeing a £30million cash-plus-player deal.

Bayern are believed to have accepted a fee of 25m Euros (£22.3m) plus the choice of either Aleksandr Hleb or Eidur Gudjohnsen, who are valued at 8m Euros (£7.1m).

The France international has two years left on his Bayern contract and it is thought Barca have offered a four-year deal, although the club are yet to make an official announcement.

Manchester United and Real Madrid have also been linked with a big-money move for Ribery, who cost Bayern a club-record 25m Euros from Marseille in 2007.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5263310,00.html

Ribery on the left, Messi on the right.

Titi could be finished me thinks if this is confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ribery on the left, Messi on the right.

Titi could be finished me thinks if this is confirmed.

i was just thinking where would he fit into the team i suppose it would be henry's spot.no other position open really

Henry said he would like to retire at Barca a few months ago, and that he realises he only has a season or two of regular top tier football left in his legs. Meaning he will happily warm the bench and play as a super sub (and considering his ****ing wages he better be ;)), great squad player to have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And sure isn't there talk that Bojan is going out on loan, so Barca will need another forward player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gimmick wrote: »
    And sure isn't there talk that Bojan is going out on loan, so Barca will need another forward player.
    I think that'd be good for Bojan - last season, he kind of exploded onto the first-team scene with loads of momentum but that's stalled a fair bit this season. Regular football at a decent level (and ideally in a good passing team) should help ready him to take the step up permanently in a season or so...

His underage scoring records are phenomenal I seem to remember so the ability he showed last year was clearly class, rather than just form.

As for Henry, pretty scary for everyone else to have him to come into the team when someone needs a rest (almost like Bojan did once or twice this year) - he's looked really potent again this year for the first time in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ribery is exactly what Barca need. I know Henry's form has improved this year but he isnt the Henry of Arsenal, he just seems to lack the same conviction. Ribery is world-class and is one of the few players in the world who would improve this teams attack.

Bit of an argy bargy outside the Bernabeu earlier with fans heckling and pushing eachother after tickets ran out for tonights game. Police were called in the settle things down. Many fans left without tickets. I was there an offered tickets for €450 each - No thanks. Be watching on tv like the rest.

Real Madrid acting president Boluda has admitted a Barca victory tonight at the Bernabeu will hand Barca victory in la liga. All the pressure on "los blancos".

Rumour is that Robben will start but dont be surprised if he is pulled off before the end as he has only had about 3-4 days training since coming back from injury.

Rafa Marquez injury against Chelsea has been put at 3 months by Barca medical team so he wont feature again until pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet but does anyone think Abidal will play centre back against Chelsea during the week and Slyvinho at LB? And maybe even see Abidal play in that position tonight...

• Advertisement

Marca are predicting a Real lineup of:

Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Metzelder, Heinze, Lass, Gago, Robben, Marcelo, Higuaín, Raul.

My guess at the Barca lineup would be:

Valdes,
    Alves, Pique, Puyol, Abidal
    Iniesta, Toure, Xavi
    Messi, Eto'o, Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

OMG

barqx.jpg

What Lionel Messi's T-Shirt At The Bernabeu Meant

When Lionel Messi netted for Barcelona during their historic 6-2 win at the Santiago Bernabeu over Real Madrid, he lifted his shirt to reveal a message to the fans on a t-shirt.

However, the logo was displayed so briefly that it was difficult for the worldwide audience to catch.

But by looking at a photograph of the moment, we see what Messi was trying to tell the world:

The t-shirt reads 'Sindrome X Fragil', which is the name of a medical condition known in English as Fragile X Syndrome.

Fragile X Syndrome is a genetic problem that leads to emotional, mental, and sometimes physical problems in its sufferers, with some of its effects being compared with those of autism.

Messi treats the syndrome as a personal cause, having during last month spent a day in Barcelona with children who suffer from the affliction.

As the player himself explained, he suffered from hormonal problems as a child, and had he not received help he could never have been in a position to score a vital goal for one of the world's top clubs.

Players often talk about giving something back, and with tonight's show of publicity it looks like Messi is serious about doing just that.

48095_hp.jpg

What a classy guy. Love him.

Ah, was wondering what that was - whatever else he is, he's certainly not the best in the world at showing off messages on t-shirts.

Dead right, remember the last time he revealed a message to the Barca faithful...

11724217410.jpg

He was only a bloody teenager then. So scary....

Henry is out of the Chelsea match on wednesday.

Just confirmed a two week lay-off.

Update

Golden Shoe standings 2008-09
    Current standings (League goals only)
    (Including games played on May 3, 2009)

Pos
    Name
    Club
    Gls
    Mult
    Pts

Janko
    Salzburg

Eto'o
    Barcelona

Forlan
    Atletico M

Villa
    Valencia

Messi
    Barcelona

Update

Golden Shoe standings 2008-09
    Current standings (League goals only)
    (Including games played on May 3, 2009)

Pos
    Name
    Club
    Gls
    Mult
    Pts

Janko
    Salzburg

Eto'o
    Barcelona

Forlan
    Atletico M

Villa
    Valencia

Messi
    Barcelona

Is that "Mult" thing a multiplier based on the league yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is that "Mult" thing a multiplier based on the league yeah?

It is indeed

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    It is indeed

I see...

Fairplay to Forlan by the way - same amount of goals as David Villa? Makes me wonder if certain players are underrated or overrated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

keane2097 wrote: »
    I see...

Fairplay to Forlan by the way - same amount of goals as David Villa? Makes me wonder if certain players are underrated or overrated...

I'm not quite sure how it works but depending on difficulty of the league and average amount of goals you get a higher/lower multiplier.

Forlan has done brilliantly this year. Infact he usually bags 20+ goals a year.
    People just remember him for a bad stint and United and think he's muck.

Barca deny Henry report

Barcelona have refuted reports that Thierry Henry is out of action for two weeks and stated that not only is he in the squad to face Chelsea, but he could play.

The Frenchman was the subject of claims that the knock on his knee that he suffered during the Blaugrana's historic win against Real Madrid would sideline him for two weeks.

Sport ran the report as their main story, but have since been forced to retract it and replace the news with confirmation that Henry is travelling to London.

Barca spokesman Jose Miguel Perry said: "Reports that Henry has been ruled out are not true.

"Team doctors and the coach will look at his situation and decide this afternoon whether he will be in the list or not."

Marca state that sources from within Barcelona have told them he is not out for two weeks and will be monitored ahead of the game at Stamford Bridge before undergoing a late fitness test.

It is a sudden turnaround from the earlier statement, because while he was kept quiet in the first leg against Chelsea, Henry showed what he can do against Madrid three days later.

After netting two goals in a superb display in the Bernabeu, Henry's absence would have been sorely noticed by the Catalan outfit and there was talk that Andres Iniesta would move up to the left side of attack.

Allied with an injury to Rafa Marquez and the suspension of Carles Puyol, coach Pep Guardiola would have had to shuffle his squad even further had Henry been ruled out

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5277934,00.html

Barcelona Defender Rafael Marquez Undergoes Knee Surgery

Barcelona defender Rafael Marquez underwent knee surgery today to repair the damage he suffered in his side's Champions League clash with Chelsea at Camp Nou last Tuesday evening.

The Mexican, who has made over 150 appearances for the Blaugrana following his switch from French side AS Monaco in 2003, fell awkwardly in the second half under no challenge from any Chelsea player, and instantly signalled his distress to the bench, clutching his knee.

Fourfourtwo.com comments that the club have reported the surgery to have been a complete success, and are hopeful of having the 30-year-old back in training in time for the start of the 2009/10 Spanish season.

The injury is not dissimilar to that suffered by fellow defender Gabriel Milito, who has missed the entire campaign as a result of cruciate ligament damage sustained at the beginning of the season, although Marquez's is not thought to be as severe as that of his colleague.

Coach Pep Guardiola now faces a defensive crisis ahead of their crunch second leg tie at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday evening.

Carlos Puyol picked up a yellow card that sees him suspended for the clash, and along with the injuries to Marquez and Milito, it leaves only Gerard Pique and Martin Caceres as recognised central defenders available for selection.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/05/04/1246306/barcelona-defender-rafael-marquez-undergoes-knee-surgery

Ha, I'll never criticise Iniesta for not shooting again - looks like he was just saving it for tonight.

Have to say congrats are in order to this side.

150 goals and counting.

La liga Champions

Copa de Rey finalists

Champions league finalists

Priviliged to have attended several of their games in what could turn out to be the greatest season in their history.

VISCA BARCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

CASPER YOU LEGENDDDDDDD
    827434_biglandscape.jpg

fede652a1f773274a7eebf1.jpg

If there is one trophy this team needs to win more of then it is the CL, we are massive underachievers along with Benfica... Let's hope we can start to put that right under Pep and this new squad. :) I'm still smiling...

I can see the final being more about Henry vs Rooney than Messi vs Ronaldo tbh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I don't think anyone could begrudge Barca's success this season

(unless they're affiliated with that horrible team called Chelsea)

Let's hope they go onto win it for the sake of beautiful football, in the truest sense of those words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Congrats.
    Dream Final now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Congrats.
    Dream Final now

The 2011 final is the dream final: Manchester City V Barcelona!

(I gotta dream)

Advertisement