Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit Vaccination Boosters

Options
  • 07-02-2009 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Is there a recommended time of year for rabbits to have their booster vaccinations? Mine last had their boosters last spring, so I would say they need to be done again now. However, should I wait until closer to the summer, so that the boosters are still strong and effective when it comes to the peak of the summer, as I believe that's the time rabbits are most at risk for myxomatosis, due to mosquitos etc.? Or would it be risky to wait? In fact, should the boosters be done twice a year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Myxomatosis is supposed to be done twice a year, according to the info at the vets. and V.H.D. once a year (leaving 2 weeks between each vax. to give the buns body a time to adjust).
    I used to vax rabbits once a year against Myxo. since they were indoors over the winter but saying that indoor buns need to be done too. I do worry about over vaccinating animals esp. more delicate ones but certainly minimum of once a year for Myxo. because it's so deadly.
    Rabbit fleas would be more of a worry for trasnmitting it so keeping a close eye on their fur for them you can also get a preventative drops like you can for dogs and cats but I wouldn't go mad over using them either although in the height of warm weather (if we get any) might be worth it.

I used to get the boosters done around April and pop them outside in May, when the weather warmed up.

What do other bunny people recommend when it comes to Myxomatosis vaccination?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jessicaR

I get mine done once a year, in Summer. I thought the end of summer is usually the most critical periond for myxi. Personally unless you live in an area that is rife with myxi or loads of wild rabbits around I think once a year is sufficient

Advertisement