Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hibnerian pub-whats the story with it?

• 07-02-2009 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

always walk past that pub-bill martins hib- down near william st/lombard st and always wondered what the story is with it?any1 know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I think someone wanted to knock it, but they were refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

i mean why is it closed etc,has been like that as long as i can remember,whats the story behind the closure,and why nobody else bought it etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I was told a couple of years back that the alcohol licence for Bill Martins was bought and moved to Worldwide Wines on the Dunmore Road. Surprised the building hasn't been knocked and turned into apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

purchased by a local Solicitor for development and refused by Waterford City Council. I suppose they were waiting for the new Government Buildings to be constructed by the Local Authority so that they could piggy-back it. However, I don't see that happening now. Pity, it was a good pub for a game of pool on Saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

well butty wrote: »
    purchased by a local Solicitor for development and refused by Waterford City Council. I suppose they were waiting for the new Government Buildings to be constructed by the Local Authority so that they could piggy-back it. However, I don't see that happening now. Pity, it was a good pub for a game of pool on Saturday afternoon.
    Hear hear!i used to love the place and they used to serve me when i was only 16:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i was talking to a fella from dungarvan last week who reckoned it was being used as a rook/resting place for vampires. he says they hang out there, going out at night for whatever. thats why there is no move on the place, he says, apparently they have people on the council who are willing to let sleeping dogs lie. i thinnk he was watchin blade and let his imagination run away with him.
    i'm open to correction on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭owenmakken

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2633/s7300297cus2.jpg

I hope they don't knock it, looks cool derelict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

owenmakken wrote: »
    http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2633/s7300297cus2.jpg

I hope they don't knock it, looks cool derelict

yeah real cool, love the moron who spray painted his name accross it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I heard somewhere that the building is protected, so the buyer couldn't have it knocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

gscully wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that the building is protected, so the buyer couldn't have it knocked.

its protected alright, protected by vampires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Yeah I also heard that there was a preservation order on the outside of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

yeah the outside of it looks nice,id say it wud look nice if they did it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

ha hathey used to serve me underage to we used to go in ther after training cause we couldnt get served anywhere else ah the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

in the picture of it there!!!the 2 houses white and unpainted well the unpainted one is a brothel i know coz i wired the place next door and there was always shady blokes coming and going:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement