Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DIE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    That one always mystified me. How did the maggots get there? Are they in the person's belly when they're alive?

Blowflies. Lay the eggs anywhere from 4 to 72 hours after death. Ish :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Húrin wrote: »
    Those who rejected Jesus meet their end in a destructive fire that terminally consumes both body and soul. Death for them is eternal.

I reject jesus. Am i going to hell, is Elvis there?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DIE
    God will tell you that typing whole sentences in caps is really annoying and that a disgruntled forum member* or email recipient probably did you in.

* Not me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Mena wrote: »
    Blowflies. Lay the eggs anywhere from 4 to 72 hours after death. Ish :p

Even in a hospital to funeral home to grave situation? Would they get a chance?

I always thought the worms would have me, im not that keen on maggots. I like worms though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Ass wrote: »
    You go to Allah and claim 72 virgins.

I think thats only if you die fighting the filthy infidels, 72 virgins.........jasus i'd be tempted to kill a few infidels myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Why worry about it. Either there's an afterlife, or not. Either way, it's kinda out of our control, and the grim reaper will pay a visit someday. Feck the worry, it's only a waste of the imagination anyways. Just enjoy yourself while you can.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Nah... doubtful. yer probably wrong there, bill.
    A devastating intellectual put-down.
    Caoimhín wrote: »
    I reject jesus. Am i going to hell, is Elvis there?
    I quite explicitly rejected the hell of eternal punishment. I don't know where Elvis is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

That one always mystified me. How did the maggots get there? Are they in the person's belly when they're alive?

God puts them there if He catches you touching yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The gov gets their death tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The Worms Crawl In

Did you ever think, as a hearse goes by,
    That you might be the next to die?
    They wrap you up in a big white sheet,
    And bury you down about six feet deep

They put you in a big black box,
    And cover you up with dirt and rocks,
    And all goes well, for about a week,
    And then the coffin begins to leak!

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
    The worms play pinochle on your snout.
    They eat your eyes, they eat your nose,
    They eat the jelly between your toes

A great big worm with rolling eyes,
    Crawls in your stomach and out your eyes,
    Your stomach turns a slimy green,
    And pus pours out like whipping cream.

You spread it on a slice of bread,
    And that's what worms eat when you're dead.

http://www.goblinville.com/pages/writings/lyrics/worms-crawl.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Does your mother not feed you on a healthy diet of maggots? Some people are weird :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tantalum

Enzymes begin eating through cell walls causing the liquid inside to leak out. The eyes are usually the first to go. This liquid gets between the layers of skin and loosens them. The skin of the hands becomes almost like a glove and sheets of skin can begin to slough off.

If flies get access to the cadaver, they lay their eggs on points of entry e.g. mouth, genitalia, open wounds, etc. Maggots work their way under the skin and eat away at the subcutaneous fat, which they love. They can sound like rice crispies working away after they develop into proper eating machines.

The liquid leaking from cells destroyed by the enzymes eventually makes contact with the armies of bacteria in the body. The bacteria were there when the body was alive but without a working immune system, they now have a sea of food to feast on. The population explodes and they sail on the sea of cell goo to just about all parts of the body.

As the bacteria feed, they produce gas. This gas causes bloating. When the body is alive, it gets rid of this gas by letting rip. But with a cadavar, this gas build up until the body itself rips. Bloat is not limited to the abdomen; lips, and in a man, the penis and testicles can be affected. Testicles can reach the size of a sliotar.

Bloat is fairly shortlived; a week/10 days. With all the gas building up, something eventually has to give. The intestines can rupture or the torso itself can rip. Putrefaction begins after about 2 days and this can last a long time. The length of time it takes for a body to decay depends on a multitude of factors; environmental, location, initial condition of the body, hungry animals, etc.

The body basically dissolves, liquid leaches out and into the ground/carpet. The lungs and digestive organs are the first to go. Bacteria munch through the palate into the skull and enter the all you can eat brain buffet. The brain liquefies quickly and pours out the ears and can bubble out the mouth.

Three weeks on, and depending on the weather, and whether animals have got to it or not, you're left with skin, bones, dried out muscle, sinews, tendons; basically a mummified cadavar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Biggins wrote: »
    The gov gets their death tax!
    Bastards, even after death, we finance their gravy train .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This is what happens when you die.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=munging

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

galwayrush wrote: »
    Bastards, even after death, we finance their gravy train .:(

Yep. Its called "death duties" to use the proper nice term they put on it. Fcukers! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Húrin wrote: »
    A devastating intellectual put-down.

Sure when it comes to things about imaginary zombie gods you don't need to think much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

When we die, the Lord our God let's us into his gaff

Who is this "Our" God??? I have no God, so I hope I was not included in that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I hope they serve beer in hell...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Who knows. I'm on the side of there's no point worrying about it. If consciousness survives the death of the body well then you'll know about it, if it doesn't there isn't a you anymore to know anything. In a universe that could be reduced down to quantum information, it's possible that somthing of the you that was continues as something. It could be diffuse it could be focused. Given we know little if anything about the nature of consciousness itself and are as far away from an answer as we were a hundred years ago, anything is possible, however unlikely.

Before anyone says we know loads about the nature of the brain, yes we do. We know a lot about where many things are located, but where the observer, the us, that sees, understands and reacts to those things we know bugger all. For all we know the structure of the brain could grow in complexity to the point where emergent behaviour happens beyond the obvious physical. It could act as a quantum information focus. When that structure no longer exists does that information disappear? Dunno. Likely but since there's no evidence, beyond an obvious lack of consciousness, who knows.

I look on this subject the way I would look on evidence of alien life. Yes it stands to reason there is life out there, but we have no evidence that says we're not the only ones in this entire universe. Zip. Nada. Conjecture just about covers it.

So keep believing that your loved ones are around in some way if it makes you happy and content and a useful person and if you believe the complete opposite and it does the same, well good luck to both viewpoints. I have much the same position on god.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

tantalum wrote: »
    Enzymes begin eating through cell walls causing the liquid inside to leak out. The eyes are usually the first to go. This liquid gets between the layers of skin and loosens them. The skin of the hands becomes almost like a glove and sheets of skin can begin to slough off.

If flies get access to the cadaver, they lay their eggs on points of entry e.g. mouth, genitalia, open wounds, etc. Maggots work their way under the skin and eat away at the subcutaneous fat, which they love. They can sound like rice crispies working away after they develop into proper eating machines.

The liquid leaking from cells destroyed by the enzymes eventually makes contact with the armies of bacteria in the body. The bacteria were there when the body was alive but without a working immune system, they now have a sea of food to feast on. The population explodes and they sail on the sea of cell goo to just about all parts of the body.

As the bacteria feed, they produce gas. This gas causes bloating. When the body is alive, it gets rid of this gas by letting rip. But with a cadavar, this gas build up until the body itself rips. Bloat is not limited to the abdomen; lips, and in a man, the penis and testicles can be affected. Testicles can reach the size of a sliotar.

Bloat is fairly shortlived; a week/10 days. With all the gas building up, something eventually has to give. The intestines can rupture or the torso itself can rip. Putrefaction begins after about 2 days and this can last a long time. The length of time it takes for a body to decay depends on a multitude of factors; environmental, location, initial condition of the body, hungry animals, etc.

The body basically dissolves, liquid leaches out and into the ground/carpet. The lungs and digestive organs are the first to go. Bacteria munch through the palate into the skull and enter the all you can eat brain buffet. The brain liquefies quickly and pours out the ears and can bubble out the mouth.

Three weeks on, and depending on the weather, and whether animals have got to it or not, you're left with skin, bones, dried out muscle, sinews, tendons; basically a mummified cadavar.

I'm fifty fifty between mortician and serial killer?

EDIT: 500 posts and a third star, oh yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I hope they serve beer in hell...

No, I want Hot Sake, Beer taste's rank when it's warm, unless it is combined with cold Pizza, Or Whiskey, that would be good for hell, I'll be the guy next to Hitler, who is beligerently drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

You learn the Answer is 42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

When I died I came back as me. Chuffed I was.

No you didn't, you became one with the force.

In other news, when your bodily functions stop, so do you.

Do you honestly believe there's an after life where your parents, your pet hamster, and that yucca plant you managed to kill are all restored and present in happy harmony?

How conceited is that?

I scoff at the shuffling pensioners queueing up at the altar surrounded by bells and smells. The desperation is palpable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I scoff at the shuffling pensioners queueing up at the altar surrounded by bells and smells. The desperation is palpable.
    Then if it is desperation, should one not be at least understanding, even neutrally dismissive and stop at scoffing? I figure if it makes them happy and less afraid at the thought of their own extinction, then good luck to them. I certainly wouldn't scoff. Whatever gets you through the night I figure.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I do so privately, and not to their faces, and reserve the right to do so. It's hypocritical at best to live ones life with scant regard for karma, ones personal (or familial) well being or whatever up to the age of sixty, and all of a sudden start beating ones chest with religious fervour when the ticking under the floorboards grows ever louder.

If one continues through ones life with the same consistency of belief that they had in their youth, whatever imaginary friend they choose to follow, then more luck to them, at least they are being true to what they believed all their lives.

I never did hold with thought police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

rarnes1 wrote: »

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

we meet our maker and get to see all the people we love who have died, or if you're muslim you get 10ish virgins to bang

lol @ religions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

In other news, when your bodily functions stop, so do you.

Do you honestly believe there's an after life where your parents, your pet hamster, and that yucca plant you managed to kill are all restored and present in happy harmony?

How conceited is that?

the bible doesn't mention the yucca plant

• Advertisement

It doesn't mention pet hamsters either, but that's fiction for you ;)

No doubt Gareth37 will be along shortly to pray for me.

Advertisement