Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Xbox and Sata drives

• 07-02-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Before Christmas there i bought 13 sata hard drives for xboxs (7 x 500gb, 6 x 1tb)

I'm curently writing up how they got on for my website and I was wondering did anyone else try sata drives in xboxs?

It would be great if you could provide:

name and capacity of drive
    adapter used
    xbox version (if you know it)
    Usage (eg XBMC, Often)

any other information that might prove useful.

What sparked me to do this is that some of the first 3 TBs threw up error 9s, which can be got around by adding a switch to power the hard drive before the xbox. The 4th one did not need this switch. (the rest arent done yet)

Now i was very confused when i ran into the same problem with a 500gb threw up the error 9 in a 1.6 , Exact same drive/adapter combo worked fine in an older xbox. Seeing as there seems to be a link between the version of the xbox and what size sata drive it can take I think it would be interesting to see if we could narrow it down

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 readlee

I know this is an old post! I have the same issue. I just got an old Xbox that I am putting Unix on. I have modchipped it and got a new Sata driver with IDE convertor (pata to sata). However, trying to use AID to rebuild the new disk (not that I have had issues with AID before), I was getting Error 9.

What I found is the Sata drive with the converter was starting/spining to late for the BIOS to pick up the drive. I can plug in an adaptor to power on the driver before I power on the Xbox and it all works fine. (yeah!)

But, this doesn't help in the long run. I need to be able to put either a pause/sleep in the power on process, or a reset button that I could press to restart the boot process without powering off the drive.

Any suggestions you smart people?

Advertisement