Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Register Figures not adding up.

• 07-02-2009 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Social welfare offices take steps to reduce queues - The Irish Times - Sat, Feb 07, 2009
    Minister for Social and Family Affairs Mary Hanafin said that over the last three months of 2008 staff had processed some 155,000 claims – an increase of 74 per cent on the same period.

How can this be that they have processed 155,000 claims in the last 3 months of 2008 when the live register only shows a increase of 15,800 for October, 16,900 for November and by 23,000 for December so that equals 55,700 added to the live register in that 3 months, however it says that it processsed 155,000 claims so how can this add up since we keep hearing it takes about 10 weeks to process claims and that all claims are added to the live register while they are being processed, so how on earth is there only 55,700 added for the 3 months when it should be a lot higher considering the 155,000 figure.
    Futhermore if 155,000 people claimed then we are in a lot more trouble than i think, the only way i can make sense of these figures is that when you make a claim you are not directly put on the live register until the calim has been decided, this must be the case but the department are saying its not, that all calims are added on to the register once they make the claim, well i ask you then where are the 155,000 calims on the figures for the last 3 months of 2008, theres only 55,700 on the figure, Have the department being caught out?
    Cause the figures dont add up Minister.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SouthKerry wrote: »
    Social welfare offices take steps to reduce queues - The Irish Times - Sat, Feb 07, 2009
    Minister for Social and Family Affairs Mary Hanafin said that over the last three months of 2008 staff had processed some 155,000 claims – an increase of 74 per cent on the same period.

How can this be that they have processed 155,000 claims in the last 3 months of 2008 when the live register only shows a increase of 15,800 for October, 16,900 for November and by 23,000 for December so that equals 55,700 added to the live register in that 3 months, however it says that it processsed 155,000 claims so how can this add up since we keep hearing it takes about 10 weeks to process claims and that all claims are added to the live register while they are being processed, so how on earth is there only 55,700 added for the 3 months when it should be a lot higher considering the 155,000 figure.
    Futhermore if 155,000 people claimed then we are in a lot more trouble than i think, the only way i can make sense of these figures is that when you make a claim you are not directly put on the live register until the calim has been decided, this must be the case but the department are saying its not, that all calims are added on to the register once they make the claim, well i ask you then where are the 155,000 calims on the figures for the last 3 months of 2008, theres only 55,700 on the figure, Have the department being caught out?
    Cause the figures dont add up Minister.

A lot would be part time workers, workers on 3 day weeks or temporarily laid off.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

One possible reason is for people who have reduced days of work. These are called Systematic Short Time workers and they are entitled to claim Jobseekers Benefit but are not included in the official unemployment figures. Also, lone parent claims are dealt with in the dole offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And not forgetting Fas courses!

She is going to throw 50,000 unemployed onto Fas courses, i'm not sure if they will get the dole or not though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Nolanger wrote: »
    One possible reason is for people who have reduced days of work. These are called Systematic Short Time workers and they are entitled to claim Jobseekers Benefit but are not included in the official unemployment figures. Also, lone parent claims are dealt with in the dole offices.

No anyone signing on even for 2 days a week get counted according to the departmrnt and the c.s.o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

live register doesnt count people on Fás courses and many schemes,I was told that by a worker in my local social welfare

• Advertisement

live register doesnt count people on Fás courses and many schemes,I was told that by a worker in my local social welfare

Yes you are correct thats why they have put another 50,000 places on fas courses, so that they can massage the figures of the unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

ONE WORD!

BACKLOG! :)

ONE WORD!

BACKLOG! :)

This is my point, it must be a backlog, however the department say that all claims go straight away onto the live register, they are then processed and the rejected ones taken off, but i think there lying and my figures are backing this up.

This is my point, it must be a backlog, however the department say that all claims go straight away onto the live register, they are then processed and the rejected ones taken off, but i think there lying and my figures are backing this up.

Why would they lie and inflate the figures?

Makes no sense.

It's short time workers, part timers etc. etc. Hours are being cut left, right and centre.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

No anyone signing on even for 2 days a week get counted according to the departmrnt and the c.s.o.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/lregeo.pdf

Source and scope of the Live Register
    The Live Register is compiled from returns made for each local office to the Central Statistics
    Office by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. It comprises persons under 65 years of
    age in the following classes:
    All Claimants for Jobseekers Benefit (JB) excluding systematic short-time workers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many people would have gone back to work, especially people who were laid off temporarily at Christmas.

Nolanger wrote: »
    http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/lregeo.pdf

Source and scope of the Live Register
    The Live Register is compiled from returns made for each local office to the Central Statistics
    Office by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. It comprises persons under 65 years of
    age in the following classes:
    All Claimants for Jobseekers Benefit (JB) excluding systematic short-time workers

Exactly, that would be a big part in the difference between claims processed and the Live Register figures.

Advertisement