Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news on whether theres gonna be a 2009 airshow?

Options
  • 07-02-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Everyone except the anti-war morons probably want it back.

Any news or rumours yet? I've heard nothing :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not sure but if it doesn't don't blame the anti-war protesters. They imagine everyone listens to them but realy, who does?
    Blame the people with businesses who benefit from the big crowds who refuse to make a contribution :mad:

http://www.salthillairshow.com/sponsors.html
    Nothing confirmed and to be fair there are some local businesses sponsoring it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

mikemac wrote: »
    Not sure but if it doesn't don't blame the anti-war protesters. They imagine everyone listens to them but realy, who does?
    Blame the people with businesses who benefit from the big crowds who refuse to make a contribution :mad:

http://www.salthillairshow.com/sponsors.html
    Nothing confirmed and to be far there are some local businesses sponsoring it

Sadly,I think it highly unlikely for this year at least. I also think that the longer we go without it, the harder it will be to get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Not for 2009 im sorry.

Sorry.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Everyone except the anti-war morons probably want it back.

I'd like to see the airshow back, the warplanes are awsome to watch in fairness, some feat of engineering...but to blindly call anti-war prostesters 'morons' is weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sconsey wrote: »
    but to blindly call anti-war prostesters 'morons' is weak (or were you just trying to sound cool?).

They wouldn't be called "morons" if they didn't behave like "morons" by protesting a harmless air show.

• Advertisement

They wouldn't be called "morons" if they didn't behave like "morons" by protesting a harmless air show.

You know a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you, but when you look at what Israel are doing with these planes and the US are doing to Iraq with those planes I can understand where the protesters are coming from....they are awsome machines and it's frightening to think they are used to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Steyr wrote: »
    Not for 2009 im sorry.

Sorry.:(

Feck. I was hoping it would be on this year.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

You know a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you, but when you look at what Israel are doing with these planes and the US are doing to Iraq with those planes I can understand where the protesters are coming from....they are awsome machines and it's frightening to think they are used to kill.

Why do most people only mention Israel, UK, or the US when it comes to do anything to do with war.:confused:Plenty of other countries have massive firepower. As for protesting against the Airshow, it's just an airshow, i've never seen or heard of any of the planes dropping any bombs over Galway Bay.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fine but it was just an air show. An air show ffs. It was neither a weapon expo or a celebration of enginering. It was just a cheap thrill for people to see airplanes fly fast, really low and go EEEEEEEERRRRRRHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRR while they cheered with the lil kiddies. Christ, it was certainly better than that shítty fairground in Salthill every year.

Also you could argue that the planes were far too busy flying over Salthill entertaining the masses to bomb anybody, if my previous argument was flimsy. But this second argument is at least twice as inane so you should just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

galwayrush wrote: »
    Why do most people only mention Israel, UK, or the US when it comes to do anything to do with war.:confused:

The fashionable thing to do.
    If the Russian navy passed our coastline on some Atlantic exercise nobody would say a word

• Advertisement

And those very same planes (types) are, and have been, used to free people from oppression, the companies that make a lot of those planes also make airliners that the majority of us have used to fly around this world. Those very same plane types are also in the airforces of many a country that are not involved in wars and also with countries like Switzerland that are neutral. The planes that you are talking about are only a minority of the aircraft that participate in the show. The Irish Coast Guard, Aer Arann, Eddie Goggins and the Irish Air Corp, to mention a few, are not fighting any wars.

Wow, way too many replies to quote and reply to!...but you are all saying much the same thing.....now maybe go back and read my first post? I am not against the air show at all, I am against labeling the anti-war protestors as morons. I can understand where they are coming from but I guess I am in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bring back the Airshow!

Does anyone know of any stat's with regards to income to the local economy?

Bring back the airshow. You're basically dooming Salthill to a slow death otherwise. People aren't going to be willing to pay for the rip off that the Amusements basically are.

The airshow offered a fun day out for all the family completely and utterly free of charge. And the businesses of Salthill thrived with the hundreds if not thousands that would come view it.

Why should Salthill and even Galway just because a bunch of narrow minded people are against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bring back the airshow. You're basically dooming Salthill to a slow death otherwise. People aren't going to be willing to pay for the rip off that the Amusements basically are.

The airshow offered a fun day out for all the family completely and utterly free of charge. And the businesses of Salthill thrived with the hundreds if not thousands that would come view it.

Why should Salthill and even Galway just because a bunch of narrow minded people are against it?

I think funding (or lack of) had somthing to do with it too, though. Don't flatter GAAW thinking that they single-handidly managed to get rid of the Airshow, because it's simply un-true

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I think funding (or lack of) had somthing to do with it too, though. Don't flatter GAAW thinking that they single-handidly managed to get rid of the Airshow, because it's simply un-true

This is probably true. But they're still idiots.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Bring back the Airshow!

Does anyone know of any stat's with regards to income to the local economy?

I don't pretend to know the exact stat's or figures, but just take a look of some of the facts. On average over the last several years of the airshow it has been estimated that in the region of 100,000 people have been in attendance in Salthill. One year, when the German Tornado's were here one of the pilots, that was a trained recognisance pilot, estimated 125,000 in salthill with a further 150,000 around the bay from Spiddle to Kinvara. For starters, if each of those 100,000 spent an average of a tenner on the day, then there's your first million. Remember, also, that in 2007 you couldn't get a bed in the city or Salthill for that weekend, because a lot of the visitors to the airshow tend to make a weekend out of it, so there you must have a another few hundred thousand. All these people have to eat and drink etc. etc. The airshow was also gaining an increasing following from through out Europe and in particular the UK, where the aviation forums were alive with talk of Salthill for a couple of months before the show itself. When you think that the official population of Galway city is a touch over 72,000 and not all of those would go to Salthill, then you could safely say that at least 50,000 would be from out side Galway. I think this would all add up to a conservative estimate of at least 3 milllion euro coming into the economy of Salthill for that weekend. I agree that funding was probably a factor in the end of the airshow. One of obsticals to a major funding source was the fact that certain members of the Galway City Council (connolly sisters for a start) were active supporters of the GAAW, so any funding increases were knocked down before they were even considered in some cases. In fact these certain councillors wanted an end to funding all together. IMHO these councillors were abusing their privillaged position by putting their own interests before the interests and opinions of the vast majarity of the people that gave them that job in the first place and the economic benefits to Salthill and Galway in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

vulcan57 wrote: »
    ..... One of obsticals to a major funding source was the fact that certain members of the Galway City Council (connolly sisters for a start) were active supporters of the GAAW, so any funding increases were knocked down before they were even considered in some cases. In fact these certain councillors wanted an end to funding all together. IMHO these councillors were abusing their privillaged position by putting their own interests before the interests and opinions of the vast majarity of the people that gave them that job in the first place and the economic benefits to Salthill and Galway in general.

I recognise your economic argument - if the airshow was really that vital, all the businesses in the Salthill area should contribute the shortfall created by the absence of council funding to the organisers but they don't.
    Just in relation to the councillors mentioned, they are elected to represent the population and therefore are acting democratically by diverting funding from a show to other services.
    Not everybody in Galway enjoys the airshow.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Just in relation to the councillors mentioned, they are elected to represent the population and therefore are acting democratically by diverting funding from a show to other services.
    Not everybody in Galway enjoys the airshow.

I recognise that not everyone enjoys the airshow, its the same as not everyone enjoys the races or the arts festival, which incidently, gets considerably more funding than the airshow ever did, and I'm not saying they don't deserve it. The point I am making is that it is very much the majority of the people of Galway that are in favour of the airshow and so those councillors should act democratically and represent the people that elected them and not use their position to further their oppersition of the airshow on the grounds of their support for the aims and beliefs of the GAAW, who are very much the minority. There are, as far as I am aware, no councillors that are totally anti the arts festival and so it stands a far better chance of funding. There are many services in the city that could do with funding and many areas that have funding that maybe shouldn't.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    ... The point I am making is that it is very much the majority of the people of Galway that are in favour of the airshow and so those councillors should act democratically and represent the people that elected them and not use their position to further their oppersition of the airshow on the grounds of their support for the aims and beliefs of the GAAW, who are very much the minority.

Well I guess if the majority of the people Galway feel strongly about it then the councilors won't be getting re-elected...there's democracy for ya :)

• Advertisement

Well I guess if the majority of the people Galway feel strongly about it then the councilors won't be getting re-elected...there's democracy for ya :)

There are more issues than the airshow that people vote people in for. The point is that when voting on a particular issue they should represent the people who voted for them.

Advertisement