Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest upgrade path for a old Dell P4

Options
  • 07-02-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Parents pc is acting up, think it's the mobo thats gone dodgy.

It's an old Dell Dimension 4500

It being a Dell, a mobo upgrade won't be posible with the curent case and psu?

so what are my options. I had a quick look on the scan website for a cheap mobo/cpu/ram/case and it came to around 175, which is still to much for them.
    Don't need anything fancy, it's really just for browsing the net.

Maybe someone here has an old P4 mobo and ram they want rid of? I have a psu that i can put in.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If its only the monitor thats gone dodgy- why not buy a new monitor?
    You'll get a 22" widescreen LCD panel for ~Eur150?

Have a look at Elara/Komplett etc.

Dells aren't built to be easily upgradeable- and they cost next to nothing (its the Ryanair of computers). If you want a cheap upgrade- you're almost better off getting a new machine........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Sorry, meant the mobo's gone not the monitor. Here's the thread I had regarding the problem

Thing is they can't or don't want to buy a new pc (as cheap as they are it's still to expensive) hence looking for a cheap upgrade path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

For a cheap pc you really won't beat dells cheapest offerings. You can buy a machine minus monitor keyboard and mouse which you can take from your old machine. I'll have quick look now but have a look on the outlet store too.

Self builds are only economic at the mid to high end where dells prices generally sore well beyond component values.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346 Look here too for the dell offer codes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Hey man,

I've got a P4 mobo from a Dell GX280 SD, with a 2.8 P4 and 256MB PC2700 RAM.

Cheap as free if you want to pick it up from Leixlip.

PS. (A donation of one Crunchie or some smokes wouldn't be unappreciated)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Varkov wrote: »
    Hey man,

I've got a P4 mobo from a Dell GX280 SD, with a 2.8 P4 and 256MB PC2700 RAM.

Cheap as free if you want to pick it up from Leixlip.

PS. (A donation of one Crunchie or some smokes wouldn't be unappreciated)
    I'll give ya a dozen Crunchies for it if you want :D

I'm in Dublin 9 thou. Leave it with me i'll see about making my way out to leixlip towards the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement