Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bray eating out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

foxy06 wrote: »
    When was the last time you were there? There has been a new chef for a few months now and it sounds like it has changed from what you have described.

I'd say it was a year ago and we swore we wouldn't go there again. After reading your post had a look at their website and found the menu has changed so I might give it another chance.

Place is pretty pricey though, €17-25 for a main, but you still have to get a side dish of potato for around €4....I really hate when restaurants do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

No fries or veg are included with the main but if you want garlic and cheese potatoes or extra fries or something then they charge. The early bird would be the one to go for. 20 Euro per person for 3 courses and tea/coffee. If you order steak off the early bird there is a supplement of 3 or 4 euro but there are other options like chicken, lamb and salmon if you want to keep it at 20. There are house bottles of wine too for 19 so 2 people 3 courses and a bottle of wine for less than 60 quid.

Also on the restaurant subject I was in Shelbys this week for the first time since it had just opened and there was a massive improvement from my first visit. Great atmosphere on entering, friendly staff, food was delicious. I had a duck starter and hubby had seafood chowder. Duck was lovely but could do with a little sauce, chowder was fab and we both had belly of pork for main off the specials board and it was lovely too. They do however charge for any sides which is irritating but the food was good so I won't complain. I had a baileys and hazlenut parfait which was delicious and he had bread and butter pud and liked it too. I had 2 cokes and he had 2 bottles of beer and bill was 90 Euro. Really enjoyed the night out, especially the atmosphere. Was a bit disappointed as wanted to go to Campo da Fiora (Used to be Escape) but they didn't open on Tuesday nights but we were glad we chose shebys in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

Myself and the OH had the Martello early bird recently - the chef doesn't appear to know what a medium-rare steak is, my OH sent the first one back for being too over-done, and the replacement one was just as done. I was half-way thru my own main at this stage (which, to be somewhat fair, was the biggest piece of salmon I've ever had) so he didn't send the second one back, but it was disappointing to have it happen twice in the one meal. I demanded that the steak supplement be removed from our bill, and we got an extra fries and veg for no extra charge, so that was good service.

It's a fantastic deal all things considered though. Brown bread ice-cream, nom nom nom.

Advertisement