Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor Faughnan - The most smug man in Ireland

• 07-02-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Can anybody explain to me why Conor Faughnan from AA road watch is doing a state of the nation address? Ironically, his smug little motivational speech on how wonderful 'the best little country in the world' is, nearly caused me to crash my car this morning. Have a listen to this. It's about half way through this podcast of RTE's playback.

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-070209-51m30s-playback.mp3

I'd love to see him standing on a pulpit outside Waterford Wedgewood repeating this over elocuted nonsense! He'd probably get glassed in the face!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

ATAL wrote: »
    Can anybody explain to me why Conor Faughnan from AA road watch is doing a state of the nation address? Ironically, his smug little motivational speech on how wonderful 'the best little country in the world' is, nearly caused me to crash my car this morning. Have a listen to this. It's about half way through this podcast of RTE's playback.

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-070209-51m30s-playback.mp3

I'd love to see him standing on a pulpit outside Waterford Wedgewood repeating this over elocuted nonsense! He'd probably get glassed in the face!

You'd love to see someone glassed in the face?

Each to their own I suppose. Not sure what his standard of elocution has to do with it mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ATAL

I'm not advocating a glassed face, just a possible outcome if such a situation should arise. I would imagine somebody who has just lost their job and livelihood would find his sunny outlook quite enraging.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

ATAL wrote: »
    I'm not advocating a glassed face, just a possible outcome if such a situation should arise. I would imagine somebody who has just lost their job and livelihood would find his sunny outlook quite enraging.
    Because they'd prefer to hear the "what a doomed rancid little p!sspot of a nation we are" outlook?
    To answer your OP: Jeeeooo decided during the week he wanted to give friday over to people from outside the political fray a chance to give their own state of the nation address. Conor was asked about 6 hours before going on air if he'd like to do one. So that's why he and many others did...oh and they were to be of the more positive bent. There was plenty of doom and gloom covered by all shows during the week. Joe 'Pol Pot Duffer decided a bit of respite was required. I kinda agree and I'd fall into the category of recently displaced from employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sorry to hear that Humber.

I'm sure that someone with the chutzpah you have won't be on the shelf too long.I hope so anyway.

Now Conor,well the speech,what can I say, was a tad flowery for me.

I put myself in the boots of someone recently made redundant, and I would have said, "jaysus all very well and fine for you to wax eloquently on the state of the nation ,but I have a fcukin mortgage due next month and no income!!"

What struck me also was ,the Dufficer rang him about an hour before start of prog. yet he was able to be in the fcukin stoodio on a fcukin podium with a lectern !!!!with a spiel set out.

Gott in Himmel!! I'm trying to think of a word to cover the whole speech but unusual for me i can't.

It didn't ring right for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When times were good naysayers were shouted down or even told to kill themselves by our esteemed leader.

Now times are bad and some people give positive messages but some aren't happy with this either.

I don't know, what is that man or anyone who fills that radio slot supposed to do??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ATAL

Thanks for the background. Wasn't overly familiar with Jeeeeeeeeo's 'state of the nation' format.

When I lose my job which is hugely likely, I'll come back to Connor and see if his fine speech can get me and this country working again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

I think maybe some people are taking Joe Duffy's "funny" Friday slot a little too seriously.

("Funny" is not my choice of word. It's Joes. I dont think it's funny. I think it's shíte, but it seems to be popular)

mikemac wrote: »
    When times were good naysayers were shouted down or even told to kill themselves by our esteemed leader.

Now times are bad and some people give positive messages but some aren't happy with this either.

I don't know, what is that man or anyone who fills that radio slot supposed to do??

Don't quite understand your point there Mike.

My opinion was that Conor Faughnans speech to the nation didn't quite catch the mood.It was excellent and sincere but...

Several others got to the heart of the matter better.

Sorry to hear that Humber.

I'm sure that someone with the chutzpah you have won't be on the shelf too long.I hope so anyway.

Now Conor,well the speech,what can I say, was a tad flowery for me.

Thanks Flutter, gives me even more time to listen to the radio. I'm wiating until Larry Gogan starts reading out job offers during his show like he did back in the 80's.

I agree about Conor's address too. I didn't like it either but I've got a real problem with the phrase " a great little country". I heard it too often from Irish builders in England and what with the current climate, as a civil engineer, I think I might be hearing it from ol'micks in far off feilds once again.

I caught one or two other addresses and of what I caught some were quite clever. However I didn't stick it out too long as it seamed a bit of a pile in by the FunnyFriday brigade. Not my cup of tea but that doesn't make it a bad idea.

I think maybe some people are taking Joe Duffy's "funny" Friday slot a little too seriously.

("Funny" is not my choice of word. It's Joes. I dont think it's funny. I think it's shíte, but it seems to be popular)

This wasn't anything to do with "Funny Friday" by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

This wasn't anything to do with "Funny Friday" by the way.

He said on Thursday that it was :

"Our funny friday is taking a political stance tomorrow, so you have 24 hours to prepare your state of the nation address. It can be serious or not so serious, it, as usual, all up to you."

State of the Nation with a twist of Funny Friday.

Oh, hadn't heard that.

I thought that maybe the concept,as in people ringing in and performing on air was the same as Funny Friday , but the thing itself was all serious?

:confused:I'm all confused actually.

Although Bondvillian is bang on in what he says joe said I thought Joe meant that he wanted a break from the normal schedule and he wanted to have a Funny Friday type event. Where people (vetted) would ring up and give a positive slant on their own State of the Nation. So it wasn't all the usuals from FunnyF (although some did) nor was it a standard weekday show.

Advertisement