Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company want to take a big share of our tips

Options
  • 07-02-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering can anybody advise on this situation. I'm not looking for debate as to whether or not people should tip as I'm sure there's plenty of threads on other parts of boards on that issue. Anyway:

Company previously charged us 1.5% of our total sales as a tip out which went to the kitchen staff. i.e. if I had sales of a €1000 I'd give €15 to a fund that would be split up equally amongst kitchen staff.

They now want to charge us 3% of our sales. Only 1% will go to the kitchen (they lose 33% of their tips) staff and 2% will now go to the company. I think it's pretty unfair as our tips are reducing from the customers which is understandable at present, whilst the percentage we pay of sales has increased meaning we're taking a double hit whilst in addition to having hours cut across the board whilst sales remain only marginally down.

Thanks for advice/input/thoughts and opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

So, basically, the company want you to pay them for the work you do :eek:

Did they say why? or what your tip money would be used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah basically. They say that it's to help manage costs because they've another store that's running at a loss and supposedly we're well able to afford it even though our tips have reduced steadily each month (which is understandable). We should be happy to have jobs is their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

We should be happy to have jobs is their opinion.

Well this is just it, and we'll see more abuse by management as things get worse simply because this is their logic lately.

Can you not just pocked the tips? If you can arrange it so that all the staff working for tips refuse to give over 2% of their tips, then they won't be able to anything simply because the cost of hiring and training an entire new team will well outweigh anything they can get in their 2% for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tipping is an evil practice anyway.

You should take the moral high-ground and refuse all tips, or donate them to a charity box if they customer insists.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

JustMary wrote: »
    Tipping is an evil practice anyway.

You should take the moral high-ground and refuse all tips, or donate them to a charity box if they customer insists.

That's a great idea Mary! But I suspect that salaries are so low that loosing the tips would make an unbearable impact on their pockets. Could it be done for a week? or even two? without letting the management know that it is only for that long of course.

If only people didn't insist on tipping on their credit cards. So often it is the case that credit / debit card tips never make it to the people for whom the tips were intended (and that was in the good times!).

If your branch is profitable and the other one is not I would want to know how the management were going to turn it around before any of my money went into a black hole. Show me how I can improve my long term situation by taking a short term hit and I might go along with it. Otherwise it is a recipe for resentment. When staff feel abused they do things like steal stock! I am not saying that this is the case with all staff of course, but when respect is gone for management and staff feeling that the management owe them...... nothing is sacred anymore.

It must be late at night.... I'm rambling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement