Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday Night: Heavy Snow and Rain threat

Options
  • 07-02-2009 8:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

The ECM 12z has come out and things are looking well dodgy now on Monday Night into Tuesday

Monday 18:00

090207_1200_54.png

090207_1200_54.png

Tuesday 00:00

090207_1200_60.png

090207_1200_60.png

Tuesday 06:00

090207_1200_66.png

090207_1200_66.png

All I can is :eek::D

Seriously though that looks nasty.

Im not one to sensationalise these things btw but bloody hell. You can't avoid it with charts like that. East Coasts may get away with some of that but inland that could cause serious commuter problems. Just bare it in mind.

The posistioning of the low is changing like a yo yo. Is that the Eagle's idea of 'wintry showers'?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Eh..that looks like rain and maybe sleet for most to me?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Supercell wrote: »
    Eh..that looks like rain and maybe sleet for most to me?

I edit the title to take in your caution but those charts say snow to me. Rain and Sleet probrably initially. But im telling yeh inland that would be increasingly snow into the night:P :) (IMO)

The reason I say that is the -5 850 isotherm over much of the country. We will need to see the finer details but there is definately a risk there.

Could be flooding too.

darkman2 wrote: »
    I edit the title to take in your caution but those charts say snow to me. Rain and Sleet probrably initially. But im telling yeh inland that would be increasingly snow into the night:P :) (IMO)

The reason I say that is the -5 850 isotherm over much of the country. We will need to see the finer details but there is definately a risk there.

Those charts say marginal snow to me here, at sea its not marginal at all imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I gaurantee that if that came off there would be alot of snow. Where is WC!? Supercell does not believe me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i beg to differ. if that low track further south then parts of ireland will see some snow monday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Think you might of made an error in judgement Supercell!

Obviously by the coast very marginal but the GFS and ECM paint a very interesting picture.

The intensity of the precip would also be a very important factor.

GFS has the same setup and proggs snow.

gfs-2-60.png?12

Here is a thought Weathercheck - the ECM is colder then the GFS. Serious snow event on the way I think. Very steep thermal gradient there and as you mention evaporative cooling aswell. Very strong Northeasterly winds too.

Lets see what the 18:00 GFS comes up with.

I'm still not convinced fella's, those charts are tasty but i dont think they mean that many places <100metres are going to have extra lying snow, and anything below that may have tempory stuff. Have a look at the annamoe.net forecast, for lower down I see snow-sleet-rain..or maybe just sleet -rain.

I'm still not convinced fella's, those charts are tasty but i dont think they mean that many places <100metres are going to have extra lying snow, and anything below that may have tempory stuff. Have a look at the annamoe.net forecast, for lower down I see snow-sleet-rain..or maybe just sleet -rain.

We will have to agree to disagree. This look like a potentially very disruptive event. The most serious in many years on the evidence as we have it. Im not saying I think your wrong, you may be right. In fact for your sake I hope your right:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

wow i have been doing this whole model watching thing for a number of years now and what interesting times we are in now. considering last weeks weather and a potential snow event for some in the morning and another one on mon .could snowfall become more "normal" than the the usual muck we have this february. we might remember feb 09 for a long time:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#teg=prec

It looks like there will be snow somewhere at least...

It is indeed marginal.

But temps, 850hpa temps and intense precip are in our favour.

With the onshore easterly wind mind it will be likely sleet near the coast, like for me, but under present indications from GFS and ECM i would say if it were to come off as projected, big falls of snow over the mountains and big falls of snow inland from the coast.

- As DM says there is the possibility of a severe event with blizzards and high snowfall totals, and just 60hrs away must be watched very closely.

Here's a chart to indicate why this is likely to fall as snow.

In most other cases this probably wouldn't be snow but these charts add confidence.

gfs-6-60.png?12

Here's a chart to indicate why this is likely to fall as snow.

In most other cases this probably wouldn't be snow but these charts add confidence.

gfs-6-60.png?12

Yep - 16 (or is it 18? - I think it is 16) is the magic number on those charts. Anything lower is likely to be snow.

Yep - 16 (or is it 18? - I think it is 16) is the magic number on those charts. Anything lower is likely to be snow.

14 is the figure for definate (90%) snow and then 16 70% 18 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sorry but i havent a clue about these charts ,what parts of ireland are looking like snowfall on monday night???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

How far inland from the coast do you reckon it would need to be to turn to snow? Is about 10km far enough inland?

Right now it's anywhere away from East Coasts (though even here snow could occur too).....we still have to get an exact track for the Low so nothing nailed yet. If it goes too far North we would be quickly out of the potential snow zone.

I'm not sure given current form though WC that I'd rely on a t-72 gfs prog to call this.
    I reckon monday has the "potential" to give an awfull deep dumping but I suspect it's going to be above 600ft somewhere.

Personally I wouldnt dare go any further than that at this stage.

If we had a cold surface air feed to draw on,we'd be in business lower down.
    We dont really.It's Easterly but a well modified circulatory flow.

Play this one by ear methinks.

We will have to agree to disagree. This look like a potentially very disruptive event. The most serious in many years on the evidence as we have it. Im not saying I think your wrong, you may be right. In fact for your sake I hope your right:eek:
    wow , very disruptive ? how many inches of snow u think if it comes off?

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    wow , very disruptive ? how many inches of snow u think if it comes off?

Alot inland (relatively speaking for Ireland). Not sure about coastal windward areas. More marginal here for sure. Like I say it's not nailed but is a possibility even though it is only 54 hours out.

ok ,lol but whats a lot? 5 inches ? 10 inches ? :)

ok ,lol but whats a lot? 5 inches ? 10 inches ? :)

I can't give exact amounts:P - impossible to tell how many inches may occur. Lets just get within 12 hours first then discuss amounts. ;)

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/ for what it is worth is giving heavy snow for far north as Laois...

Min wrote: »
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/ for what it is worth is giving heavy snow for far north as Laois...
    lol , I wouldnt mention laois and north in the same sentence :P
    Thanks for the link though.

lads are we talking more snow than weve had this week? or than weve had in years? How big could this be?
    :confused:

lol , I wouldnt mention laois and north in the same sentence :P
    Thanks for the link though.

lol, its north of me :p

Just a reminder again.
    Metcheck is just an automated programme that guesses conditions in your area based on the latest GFS run.
    Therefore it's basically useless as a forecast except for maybe the next 12 hours...and for that you'd be aswell watching the TV forecasts [with the exception of the TV3 ones]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I dunno lads, I just have a feeling this is going to be rain, for me anyway. GFS does not inspire any confidence and it's not exactly FI.

I hope I'm wrong. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Well Gerry Murphy fairly knocked the chances of snow on the head for Monday...rain all the way :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement