Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deductions as a Student Garda

• 07-02-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

So, we all know the new pension levy is here for public servants but what else should people looking to join be looking forward to?

Based on the GRA website, students receive €202.47 in Ph1-3. Now, ignoring any allowances given for boots or cost of living during ph2, what is deducted in terms of medical ins., pension, etc. And what does that leave the take home pay as?

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested...or am I :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

You will be sorry you started this thread!!!!

Tomorrow I will get out one of my old pay slips from Phase 1 and list them all. Believe me I was getting €20 a week there for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

TheNog wrote: »

Tomorrow I will get out one of my old pay slips from Phase 1 and list them all. Believe me I was getting €20 a week there for a while.
    Looking forward to that so I am :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

TheNog wrote: »

I honestly think it would be great if you did....saves me being depressed down there! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

They're spoiled rotten down there these days.

I mean. Have you heard that they've got an ATM down there now?

My Goodness! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

Thats the closest thing Ive heard to say that i will have some spare cash, excellent! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Yeah its called St Raphaels :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Yeah its called St Aunt Raphaels :D

and her brother Uncle Paul :D

edit: I know I siad I would get the info for ye but just gimme another day. Promise

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

Ok i pulled out an old pay slip from when i was a student and here's how its broke down.

Salary is €198.48
    Boot allowence €2.93
    Uniform allowence €4.39

Now my deductions where:
    Medical aid €23.12 (this has gone up to €24.87)
    and then both credit unions depending on loans, savings, ect.

Hope that answers your question if not let me know.
    P.S just watch what you sign up for down there cause once you start phase four there will be a long list of stuff on the right hand side of your pay slip that you probably wont even remember signing up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Here's the current one: Not too different from Whitewater
    Salary 203.44
    Boot All. 2.93
    Uniform G/S 4.39

Deductions:
    St Pauls 8 << 1.50 or 2 of this is for the car draw
    Medical Aid 24.87
    St Raphaels: A lot. Paying back loan and also in the car draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 old_ball

Just wondering what do people reccommend signing up for? If you have your own health insurance, do you still need the medical aid? Just dont want to waste money on things that I wont need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

old_ball wrote: »
    Just wondering what do people reccommend signing up for? If you have your own health insurance, do you still need the medical aid? Just dont want to waste money on things that I wont need.

Hi, you don't need medical aid if you have your own health insurance and it's up to you whether or not you want to join it but it's an excellent scheme with excellent benefits. Most people I know with their own insurance cancelled it and signed up to medical aid.

In terms of the other organizations, most people sign up to St Raphael's and St Paul's credit unions and there are a few other organizations too like the Garda Benevolent that people sign up to. Most of the organizations you sign up to don't charge you membership fees as a student and you always have the option to cancel them when you're attested but up to yourself :)

Advertisement