Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best and Weirdest TV Cameos / Appearances

• 07-02-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭

What's the weirdest cameo you've ever seen on a TV show?
    Feel free to include actors turning up in TV shows that you'd least expect to see them in.

Off the top of my head.

Boy George turning up in the A-Team

Robbie Williams turning up in Eastenders

Brad Pitt in Dallas (more of a cameo in reverse though)

Tom Jones in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

BA shaking hands with Boy George.."Boy George, wow!

I seen Danny Devito a male stripper in an episode from Friends Season 10. I knew the voice immediately before he entered the room. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

What's the weirdest cameo you've ever seen on a TV show?
    Feel free to include actors turning up in TV shows that you'd least expect to see them in.

Off the top of my head.

Boy George turning up in the A-Team

Robbie Williams turning up in Eastenders

Brad Pitt in Dallas (more of a cameo in reverse though)

Tom Jones in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
    Tom jones in the fresh prince isn't that big a suprise given the amount of
    References to him in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Denzil from Only Fools and Horses showing up in Corrie and kissing that fat slag, Cilla.... so disappointed in him when I saw that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Ruu wrote: »
    I seen Danny Devito a male stripper in an episode from Friends Season 10. I knew the voice immediately before he entered the room. :)

Friends latter seasons were quite good for quirky unexpected cameos; Sean Penn, Gary Oldman, Charlton Heston, Jean Claude Van Damme, Julia Roberts, Ben Stiller etc.

Stephen Hawking scores double for making it onto Star Trek AND the Simpsons.

Recently, John Goodman and Ed "Married with children" O Neill (as The Republican president pro-temp & a democratic presidential candidate respectively) in the West Wing were unexpected but enjoyable, and honourable mentions to George Michael in Eli Stone & George Clooney in South Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Liberace in Batman.

Mick Fleetwood in Star Trek Next Generation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Recently, John Goodman and Ed "Married with children" O Neill (as The Republican president pro-temp & a democratic presidential candidate respectively) in the West Wing

Also Christian Slater as a NSA deputy, Terry O'Quinn as General Alexander, Glenn Close as a Supreme Court Justice, Janeane Garofalo and Matthew Perry also made appearances.

I miss the West Wing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Weirdest would definitely come from the season finale of Canadian TV show 'Corner Gas' (a show which is not very popular over here.. last time I checked it was airing close to 3am on RTÉ2 but it's very popular in Canada).

Anyways.. here's the scene in question:

:D

PS - apologies for poor quality but only copy on YouTube!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Pigman II wrote: »

Whaaaa??? When was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Justin Timberlake in I Jizzed in my pants

Corega wrote: »
    Also Christian Slater as a NSA deputy, Terry O'Quinn as General Alexander, Glenn Close as a Supreme Court Justice, Janeane Garofalo and Matthew Perry also made appearances.

I miss the West Wing. :(

While we're on the subject :D (God it's been ages!)

Oliver Platt as council Babish, Jorja Fox & Taye Diggs as the Special agents assigned to the presidents daughter, Mark "NCIS" Harmon as Agent Donovan, Gerald "Major Dad" McRaney as Senior military advisor Amdale , James Brolin as Gov Richie, Karl "Streets of San Francisco" Malden as President Bartlet's priest, John De Lancie & Jay Mohr as a couple of pains in the ass, James Cromwell as former President Wire, Edward James Olmos as the first Hispanic Supreme court justice, and Milo O Shea as a dying one.

Ted McGinley & Jon Bon Jovi's cameos dont count, as they're cameo whores.(WW, Ally McBeal, Sex and the city for JBJ, Six feet under, Family Guy, & The Practice for McGinley )

I also miss the West Wing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

matrim wrote: »
    Tom jones in the fresh prince isn't that big a suprise given the amount of
    References to him in it.

It was quality though, especially Carlton's dance.

That reminds me...

Jeffrey from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air turned up in Eastenders.
    Now that was unexpected.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Liberace in Batman.

Didn't Murdoch from the A-Team also show up in Star Trek the Next Generation?

Also rember seeing Tom Hanks in Happy Days but I think that's where his career started from.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Denzil from Only Fools and Horses showing up in Corrie and kissing that fat slag, Cilla.... so disappointed in him when I saw that...

Missed that one, I remeber Peter Kay as Shelley's boyfriend,
    he was excellent as usual.

Patsy Kensit in Emmerdale was also a bit random.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Wasn't really a cameo though, more of a recurring character as he was in about half a dozen episodes. He was also in several episodes of Voyager and one of the films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

One that springs to mind is Barack Obama appearing on WWE programming in the run-up to the US election and that they actually got him to do The Rock's catchphrase. "Do you smell what Barack is cooking?" :pac:

Yeah. He was Lt. Barclay. (Reoccurring character).

There was a Cylon in the A-team tho. That was an unexpected cameo. :D

Jeffrey from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air turned up in Eastenders.
    Now that was unexpected.

He was a villain in The Bill too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

David Duchovny as a transvestite DEA agent in Twin Peaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Whaaaa??? When was this?

One of the early eps. He played a giant fish-man thing that spends most of the ep in a coma.
    Yeah he was in several eps as Lieutenant Reg Barclay. A very good character I thought because he was flawed and not just some wholesome over-achieving Superman like a lot of the main cast are portrayed as.
    Also rember seeing Tom Hanks in Happy Days but I think that's where his career started from.
    Let us not forget Morks appearance in Happy Days too.

Mork and Mindy was a spin off from Happy Days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I saw Kevin Smith in Law & Order recently. He didn't even have a character name, just referred to as Tony's wife's nephew.

Chaz Palminteri in The Sopranos was a sneaky one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Larry David as Mr. Steinbrenner in Seinfeld

Goldie in Eastenders, now that was just plain embarrasing...

Magneto showing up in Weatherfield,
    as well as part of Boyzone (later to be relegated to Carrickstown, oh the shame, the shame).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Ricky Gervais as an IRA man in Alias

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais as an IRA man in Alias

I don't watch Alias but that, I'd like to see.

He also appears in 24, his scene is only on the DVD set in the extras.
    It's really funny though.
    Steve Merchant (The Og Monster) also had a cameo in 24 and his scene was left in the televised version.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

Larry David appeared in an episode of Hannah Montana!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Richard Belzer (Det. John Munch) from Law & Order: SVU, appearing in The Wire. It was great as he also was John Munch previously in Homicide: Life on the Streets which is like the precursor to The Wire.

D-Generate wrote: »
    Richard Belzer (Det. John Munch) from Law & Order: SVU, appearing in The Wire. It was great as he also was John Munch previously in Homicide: Life on the Streets which is like the precursor to The Wire.

Munch is well travelled.

Not only has the detective appeared in LAO, LAOSVU, Homicide & The Wire, but Richard Belzer has also played Munch in LAO Trial by Jury, Arrested Development, The X Files, and The Beat.

He's also made the big screen in the brilliant A Very Brady Sequel, where his onscreen appearance in The police department switches from sweet pastel coloured static 70's camerawork when Mike Brady is on screen to grainy, shaky homicide style camerawork when Munch is featured.

• Advertisement

OMG I just rememberd.

The guy who plays Leo Dowling in Fair City is in Space Truckers.

Apparantly the director was so impressed with his unique method of acting using his arms that he begged him to be in it.

OK, I may have made up the last part but he is in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Another weird appearance, for fans of The Wire, was Ed Norris who plays homicide detective Ed Norris (strangely enough).

He was a former Police Commissioner of Baltimore, which is funny given how much the show rips into the BPD hierarchy.

Shieeeet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

Barry from Fair City in Batman Begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Tom morello from Rage Against The Machine in Star Trek
    http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tom_Morello

bm365 wrote: »

WTF, who, where?

On the docks.Two fair Citiers for the price of one, there actually - Barry O Hanlon played a cop, and Charlie Kelly's youngf'la Tony played one of the crims who get smacked upside the head by Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

For weirdest, I offer industrialist Armand Hammer in an episode of Different Strokes, many years ago. Weird, because it was nothing to do with the storyline. He came on set, waved, and walked off.

For unusual, John McEnroe as John McEnroe in Curb Your Enthusiasm season 6 - Freak Book. It seems like he had a bit of craic doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Keith Barry in CSI (something)
    Mark Ronson as DJ and David Bowie (too many!) in Zoolander
    Lance Armstrong in Dodgeball !
    Frank Sinatra – CANNONBALL RUN II
    Sorry just realised its TV

Arrgggh!

Christopher Reeve and the Margot Kidder in Smallville!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Christopher Reeve and the Margot Kidder in Smallville![/quote]

Not The Margot Kidder ???!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Friends latter seasons were quite good for quirky unexpected cameos; Sean Penn, Gary Oldman, Charlton Heston, Jean Claude Van Damme, Julia Roberts, Ben Stiller etc.

Yeah Friends was brilliant for cameos - Brooke Shiels was probably my favourite (she played Joey's stalker and was brilliant!)
    Alec Baldwin was great in both Friends and Will & Grace - his characters were freaks!

Colin Farrell in Scrubs was a bit strange.

Carl Weathers in Arrested Development was great. Charlize Theron's appearance in 5 or 6 episodes however was weird for the wrong reasons because the character and her plotline really didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

bm365 wrote: »

I think that one wins it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ian McKellen in Corrie without a doubt

What a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Corrie has a good record with bizarre cameos.

As well as Sir Ian, theres also been Status Quo, John Thompson from Cold Feet, Sean Hughes, Davy Jones, Cliff Richard, Peter Kay, Honor Blackman, Norman Wisdom as a 90 year old fitness freak, Phil "The Power" Taylor as the captain of a pub darts team and Prince Charles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Billy Dee Williams in Scrubs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The only time I have ever voluntarily watched a full episode of CSI was when Roger Daltrey was in one playing an American gangster or somesuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Ewan McGregor in ER

Ray Liotta in ER

Ian McKellan in Corrie

Britney in How I Met Your Mother

Johnny Depp in The Fast Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Risteard Cooper (from Apres match) is in Batman Begins as well!!! I nearly choked on my popcorn when i saw him.

He's a cop and he has a short line. Unfotunately he didn't say it in Bill O'Herlihys accent!

Part of the personal "Whoa! I never expected them to do that" set.

Alice Cooper on The Muppet Show
    Rupert Murdoch on The Simpsons
    PeeWee Herman on 30 Rock
    Dick Van Dyke on Scrubs
    Ralph Macchio on Entourage
    Chris Martin on Extras
    Mr Sulu on Heroes
    Davina McCall on Dead Set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

On the docks.Two fair Citiers for the price of one, there actually - Barry O Hanlon played a cop, and Charlie Kelly's youngf'la Tony played one of the crims who get smacked upside the head by Batman.
    I remember the guy from Fair City that played the bad guy appearing in it but didn't know Barry was there too. Hmmm

paraicr wrote: »
    Risteard Cooper (from Apres match) is in Batman Begins as well!!! I nearly choked on my popcorn when i saw him.
    I don't remember seeing him in the film but noticed it on IMDB. They all must have the same agent.

Johnny Depp in the Fast Show is one I always remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Wasn't the current King of Jordan in DS9?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It was also even more special because they were just talking about how they'd like to own a bar someday when Munch comes into view (Munch bought a stake in a bar in Homicide: LotS which was spun off from a book by the creater of 'The Wire').

• Advertisement
Advertisement