Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless connecion

Options
  • 07-02-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Again sorry if this is a repeat:o have a laptop that won't load webpages on wireless connection, it tells me connection is fine 100% have checked settings again no problem. router is linksys wrt54gc. have desktop and another laptop all connect no problem, but this just wont go online.
    any ideas???:confused::confused: thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

If the connection is good and your other PCs are able to connect to the Internet via the same router, it sounds like the network card on the laptop is working and the router is ok aswell - this would indicate that it may be your firewall that is blocking all connections.

(I am guessing that as your connection is good that you do not have MAC filtering enabled on your wireless router and "obtain an IP automatically" is selected in the TCP/IP properties of the wireless card)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

wex96 wrote: »
    Again sorry if this is a repeat:o have a laptop that won't load webpages on wireless connection, it tells me connection is fine 100% have checked settings again no problem. router is linksys wrt54gc. have desktop and another laptop all connect no problem, but this just wont go online.
    any ideas???:confused::confused: thanks

Look at you firewall settings.

Either that or it could be a DNS issue in your wireless TCP/IP settings ?

Is it set to Auto find your DNS or have you specified a specific DNS server ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 zemphis

I'm experiecning similar issues with a Linksys Wireless card on a desktop running XP. It was working fine until yesterday evening, when it lost connection to the wireless network for no reason.

The card claims to be connecting to the router but can't see the internet. Other PCs/laptops in the house can connect to the wireless network. I have reinstalled the driver, which didn't make any difference. I have tried pinging the router when it claims to be connected but the ping fails.

I tried disabling the firewall both before and after I re-installed the driver.

Before I lost connection, I was using a static IP and a specified DNS. I have tried it with a dynamic IP/auto detect as well but no joy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me insane! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

zemphis wrote: »
    I'm experiecning similar issues with a Linksys Wireless card on a desktop running XP. It was working fine until yesterday evening, when it lost connection to the wireless network for no reason.

The card claims to be connecting to the router but can't see the internet. Other PCs/laptops in the house can connect to the wireless network. I have reinstalled the driver, which didn't make any difference. I have tried pinging the router when it claims to be connected but the ping fails.

I tried disabling the firewall both before and after I re-installed the driver.

Before I lost connection, I was using a static IP and a specified DNS. I have tried it with a dynamic IP/auto detect as well but no joy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me insane! :eek:

Hi Zemphis. You say pinging the router doesn't work, what happens when you try pinging 127.0.0.1? If you get ping replies then your TCP/IP stack is working. If you don't get any replies - assuming you're running XP SP2 or SP3 - run the following command from a command prompt: netsh winsock reset catalog, reboot and try connecting again

After you reinstalled the driver for the network card did you use the Netgear utility to connect to the wireless network or the one that comes with Windows, aka the Wireless Zero Configuration service?

One last thing to try is to change the encryption settings on the wireless router. Just for testing purposes, try removing any encryption on the wireless network and see if it connects. What are your encryption settings on the router, WEP, WPA etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 zemphis

Hi IT-Guy, thanks for the reply.

I have manged to get it working again using the Windows wireless utility. Previously I have always used the Linksys one that came with the card. And even now, if I try the Linksys monitor again, it just won't get an IP address.

If it keeps working with the Windows utility, I will be happy enough.

Thanks again for the advice, you've helped restore my sanity :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

zemphis wrote: »
    Hi IT-Guy, thanks for the reply.

I have manged to get it working again using the Windows wireless utility. Previously I have always used the Linksys one that came with the card. And even now, if I try the Linksys monitor again, it just won't get an IP address.

If it keeps working with the Windows utility, I will be happy enough.

Thanks again for the advice, you've helped restore my sanity :)

No problem, I know what it's like trouble shooting to the point of frustration, glad I could help!:)

Advertisement