Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D'Irish Accent

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

CHealy wrote: »

Strong Cork accent as well but that just makes me laugh on the inside because it's just so so so so boggerish.
    quote]

Which strong Cork accent??? Stong county Cork, strong West Cork, North Cork, Cork City........

Even in Cork city alone theres a few variations.

This is the best example iv come across at a typical Southside and Northside accent in the city. The first fella is Southside and the second is pure Northside.

ps. Please dont comment on the stupidity or the crapness of the song cause any intellegent person would see that. Its just an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOhHRw-5bw0

Irish people shouldn't try gangsta rap. They... just shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Mark200 wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate the Irish accent? I can't stand it. Like I'm sure I have one, but not a strong one. I cringe every time there's an Irish actor on TV with a strong Irish accent....which seems to be pretty much all Irish actors.

Also, before anyone suggests otherwise....I'm 100% Irish. I don't know of any blood relatives who are not Irish.

im pretty sure that irish actors will have an irish accent... jasus... and you say you come from the good part of dublin also... your a Comedy Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm okay with actual Irish accents...

The terrorists in Sin City, or the Cork criminals from Heroes, however... *shudders and cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

S.I.R wrote: »
    im pretty sure that irish actors will have an irish accent... jasus... and you say you come from the good part of dublin also... your a Comedy Genius

Well actualllly I was talking about strong Irish accents as I said. Not everyone from Ireland has a strong Irish accent. Just like not everyone from Dublin has a strong Dublin accent. And I actually say I come from the good part of North County Dublin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Nothing wrong with the irish accent but i cant stand the d4 one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭LittleEve

Ahh variety is the spice of life :D
    though i was working as an english assistant in france and they had awful trouble understanding my irish accent, as they were used to "proper British english" :eek: was fun though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I love that an accent is blas cainte in Irish - the flavour of speech. Every accent tells a story in its own right.

Your accent is just part of your identity, it tells the story of where you've been, what you've done, and what has influenced you. It's lovely that we can tell people so much about ourselves without saying anything directly about it at all.

I guess I have a fairly neutral accent with more than a hint of Dublin at this stage, after 6 years in the "big schmoke". If a person's accent didn't evolve over time, even slightly, wouldn't that be pretty weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

I like it's ability to help me pull english and american chicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There is more to a person than his /her accent bit it's a start , a good reference point ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I dont like the dart accent ,and the american slang some people use,its like they are pretending to live in new york,by using slang from american tv.
    ITS like a mid atlantic dialect, like tony fenton uses.I Think it was invented in the 80s,and it spread like a virus.
    THE northside accent sounds genuine,the dart accent sounds false,like an actor just imitating a posh accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

gamer wrote: »
    I dont like the dart accent ,and the american slang some people use,its like they are pretending to live in new york,by using slang from american tv.
    ITS like a mid atlantic dialect, like tony fenton uses.I Think it was invented in the 80s,and it spread like a virus.
    THE northside accent sounds genuine,the dart accent sounds false,like an actor just imitating a posh accent.

A lot of knacker accents sound just as put on as the poshy ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

gamer wrote: »
    ITS like a mid atlantic dialect, like tony fenton uses.I Think it was invented in the 80s,and it spread like a virus
    Might be the valley girl accent I refered to in a post recently

Look up valley girl/ frank zappa on you tube :cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 basiladair

Latchy wrote: »
    The correct sounding of the name ' Kilfoye' is as Kill foil .

It's like in north west England were people who say the name ' Kavanagh ' will pronounce it ' Kavanna 'with emphasis on the van

The English will also say Mor
    an with emphasis on the 'an' were as Irish people refer to it as Moran with more emphasis on the r

Thanks Latchy for the quick response.

So, is the emphasis on the 1st or 2nd syllable? The parents are from Lancashire in NW England and, perhaps, that is why we have heard it with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable. ???

I appreciate the feedback and welcome any others who can educate us here, distant removed, on the other side of the pond.

regards
    Basil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

The Waterford city accent is terrible! Today FM (Ian Dempseys morning programme) had some great sketches taking it off.

I dont mind most others though.

yeah so it probably sounded sweet fa like a waterford accent

Advertisement