Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lastolite HiLite

• 07-02-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Got a Lastolite HiLite 8 x 7 Backround yesteday and a Bowens 500w two head kit, had a quick bash with it yesterday for half an hour

3258578397_ff7ebabf12.jpg

3259413296_5caf729481.jpg

If any one has used one would appreciate any tips etc, and if any wants a shot of it pm me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi, they are super shots, would like you to post a few photos of your new lighting and background gear.
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Am setting it up tomorrow so will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

in #1 it seems the light inside the hilite is some 2 f-stops stronger than the fill light, not my cup of tea

#2 a bit more balanced, but still a bit too much of back light IMO (see glow on t-shirt and lack of detail on hair)

did you get it in DML? how much did you pay, you can tell us? does fit all in the boot of the car? easy to assemble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First one the fill light should be brighter

quilmore wrote: »
    in #1 it seems the light inside the hilite is some 2 f-stops stronger than the fill light, not my cup of tea

#2 a bit more balanced, but still a bit too much of back light IMO (see glow on t-shirt and lack of detail on hair)

did you get it in DML? how much did you pay, you can tell us? does fit all in the boot of the car? easy to assemble?

Got in DML, Got a good deal for cash ;), Not in my astra, easy to assemble hard as hell to dis-assemble but its a knack so will get easier.

Borderfox, do you use it with 3 heads or two!

• Advertisement

IMG_1168.jpg

Two 400w heads one in an one out with a tri-reflector

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

I immediately want one of those! No idea what I do with it or where I'd put it for that matter. But sure when does that ever stop anything!! :o

Quick setup for head shots in a hotel

BNI_22.jpg

6x7 bagged up
    6X7C0694.jpg

• Advertisement

Sample shot from the headshot setup with 2x 580 and one 430
    BernardKenny.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I love the clean, bright look of the shots with this background.
    how do you light the background ? with speedlights? how much does one of these yokus cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Borderfox wrote: »
    Quick setup for head shots in a hotel

BNI_22.jpg

Just out of interest Keith, what settings were you using on the speedlights in the lasolite and for the fill??

Hi Mike, I had f5.6 and ISO 200 so must have dialed in Manual with 1/8th all round and just tidied up a bit in PS. Not too sure at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Hi Mike, I had f5.6 and ISO 200 so must have dialed in Manual with 1/8th all round and just tidied up a bit in PS. Not too sure at the moment

Cheers matey!! :D :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Those shots look great to me, ideal for web pages with the white background.
    Is the light inside the hilite to prevent shadows?

It means you can back people right up to the background without getting a shadow, great for small spaces.

Gave it another go today

3264242130_4ee0934309.jpg

3264226390_05e55742c2.jpg

then turned it around!

3263495985_3270564472.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭-mcguire-

I love the way the pics come out with this, looked for it on ebay but couldnt find it! Where can I purchase one online? Have all the lights etc. already.

First one is nearly there but second is a good bit off.

• Advertisement

First one is nearly there but second is a good bit off.

Yeah, gonna need to practise with this, gonna take it to club tomorrow and have a guy coming next weekend to show me ropes.

-mcguire- wrote: »
    I love the way the pics come out with this, looked for it on ebay but couldnt find it! Where can I purchase one online? Have all the lights etc. already.

DML in Dublin
    Camulet in Belfast

Try the light in the hilite a stop brighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Gave it another go today

much better
    I love it
    nice low key one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

The Hi Lite is a great piece of kit but getting it folded up after use is a bugger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭al_

I think youre first set were much better, for a high key background the hi lite should be set at +1 to +2 stops brighter, you had this with the first set. However the fill light could be increased on the first one and the hilite lighting decreased a little on the 2nd.
    With the 2nd set, you've lost the effect and advantage of the hilite by lowering the exposure.
    I sell a lot of portrait work and people always prefer the highkey option that you displayed with the first set to the lower lit selection in the 2nd set.
    Have fun with it, experiment.

Advertisement