Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

older parents , did your attitude change with age

Options
  • 07-02-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

hi , my kids range from 26 to 4, i have six kids, just talking the other night and through my older kids eyes i realised how different i have raised them, years ago it was important to me that mine had the newest fashion, the best buggies lol etc, now a few years down the line my 4 year old gets to wear second hand clothes, pretty dresses with wellies to town, i sit and chat with my 12 yold son, as opposed to dictating to him, basically we are for the best part buddies, my now 16 yold daughter can talk freely about condoms, std and whatever she likes to me, is it old age btw im 45, or is it just years of trying to raise them like my mother would, and then copping on, or what, does anyone else find they mellowed with time:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I do agree that we mellow with time. For me I would say that its more that I have become more comfortable and confident in my own skin aswell as having the experience of raising the older child:)

I remember the days before some of my friends had children and they would say things like "that child runs the house, she will only go asleep in her parents bed" and being disgusted about it. They were implying that they would never allow that and now the very same people have that issue.:pac: This is just an example, I suppose we all had preconceived ideas of what we would do and most of them went out the window.

If my first child cried I ran to attend to him. My now 16 month old, when he cried I used to say "it won't kill him for a minute" while I got his food/bottle or whatever it was. My third is due this week, wonder what I will be like.................he/she will just have to fit into what goes on in the house, and like it :p

They say that parents learn and make all their mistakes on the first child, I would agree with this:)

I have to say, I like the more relaxed me, I'm sure my children will too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

yea it certainly changes , the more you have the easier it gets.. good luck on the next baby . :)

Advertisement