Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Accent

Options
  • 08-02-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Its one thing which makes me shudder and feel like I'm home all in the one emotion is when I arrive home to the kilkenny accent. Now I may be insulting myself here but what the hell? I overheard somethings said along these lines the other week

'no he's gone oover ta pennees an he'll be back in a min eh'

'I axed im' (I asked him)

'dat ting dere' (that thing there)

Do ya love it or hate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

I've been living away from Kilkenny for so long (on the banks of the lee for 6 yrs now) that my accent has become quite neutral!!! However I do get the occasional shudder in the spine when I hear the accent of the mother land, not in a bad way though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I don't mind regional accents, e.g Cork, Kerry etc. but i hate when thing aren't pronounced the way their spelt. Saying ya instead of you and ta instead of to drives me potty.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

I have also been condemed to Dublin from Kilkenny for the last 13 years and and I think any accent that gives you a rest from the Dublin one is like a breath of fresh air! My accent is neutral, too so I've been told but its kind of refreshing going home and being put back in your place!
    Now, ive ta go dow en touw en ta geh me shop en, see yee lay her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Ever hear brian cody talk?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've gotten used to it now so I don't mind it. I'd much rather hear a Kilkenny accent than one of those awful hybrid made-up accents that the young people are speaking with now. At least it's authentic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Was chatting to one such individual at a party.

"Loike oh my gawd, this porty is sew loike...amazing?"

The mid atlantic twang... the questioning intonation....

"Where are you from?", I ask her
    "Castlecowmer."

I laughed in her face at that, and would have walked away, had I not been in a comfy seat. It seems we as a nation are losing our reigonal accents to the affected adolescent masses who speak like they are members of the cast of The Hills? Or something? Oh my God?

I come with a rough Kilkenny accent as standard but I don't care. I am not trying to impress anyone. These idiots usually grow out of it too, I find, or slip back into it afer a few jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like the type that adopt a horrendous D4 accent as soon as they go to college in trinity :pac:

I think its actually part of the job spec for AA roadwatch people too, loike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I think now they're going for the occent earlier in life. They don't need to become a trinner to get it anymore. I hope the future adults in Irish life dewn't oll tolk loike that. My ears! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Yep, have a mate from Drogheda that speaks with a D4 accent, and she likes rugby, no one else in her family speaks like that so I'm not sure what she is playing at. Maybe that is just the way she talks. Its pretty bad when you judge someone immediately by the way they talk, ie. culchie, d4 head, skanger, muppet...etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Judging by the amount of threads on the subject of Irish accents ,it's seems to have become a national pastime .If you not happy with your local dialect change it , or learn better grammer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

Iv a Kilkenny accent and i wont change it because its how i talk ever notice the lads going around wearing the dublin jerseys trying to talk like them funny as feck ha ha story bud going down for a few cans ha ha no feck off back to never never land :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

I think its "The Finest"!!!:)

latchyco wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of threads on the subject of Irish accents ,it's seems to have become a national pastime .If you not happy with your local dialect change it , or learn better grammer .

By jove, whot a jolly good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

I moved to Kilkenny from Dublin nearly three years ago - I love the accent. :)

Doozie wrote: »
    Its one thing which makes me shudder and feel like I'm home all in the one emotion is when I arrive home to the kilkenny accent. Now I may be insulting myself here but what the hell? I overheard somethings said along these lines the other week

'no he's gone oover ta pennees an he'll be back in a min eh'

'I axed im' (I asked him)

'dat ting dere' (that thing there)

Do ya love it or hate it?

And there I was thinking I had gotten rid of my Kilkenny accent, enough to start this thread, then heard myself on radio in the Boards Drama Podcast.....who was I kidding...for ffff...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

ha i heard that!

ha i heard that!

Cant believe I even said the word 'tractor', dont know where it came from.
    I've learned my lesson, I've joined a group of mute nuns....serves me right...

Cant believe I even said the word 'tractor', dont know where it came from.
    I've learned my lesson, I've joined a group of mute nuns....serves me right...
    zomg your not the one who locked lips with BK are you???

:eek:

no...no no no no no.....that wasn't mean..no no...ha oh dear, I see you've gotten mixed up with eh...yeah..gee this is getting off topic now...guess those super mods will swop in any time now..yep any time nooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww...............

:eek:

no...no no no no no.....that wasn't mean..no no...ha oh dear, I see you've gotten mixed up with eh...yeah..gee this is getting off topic now...guess those super mods will swop in any time now..yep any time nooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww...............
    bahahahaha it so was, She'll tell me the truth if you wont!

• Advertisement
Advertisement