Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the g hotel

Options
  • 08-02-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

hey staying in the g next week,anyone know how long it would take to walk into the city centre,reading reviews on trip advisor and they range from 15mins to 30mins!
    and does anyone know how much a pint costs in the g??

heard the restaurant is way to expensive,someone mentioned the huntsman across the road is this place any good?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Walking distance is no more than 20mins
    Drinks are expensive ofc, I think I remember hearing 5.50 for a pint, not sure about the restaurant there.
    Huntsman do a good dinner/lunch menu and its not too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I ate in the huntsman last week and found the food to be of a poor standard and very expensive for what is basically pub grub.
    Way better value to be had in nicer restaurants in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

You would walk in to Eyre Sq in 15-20 mins but you would freeze your nuts off in this weather. A Taxi would cost buttons.
    Huntsman would be good for pints and its right across the road. Food okay but I wouldn't go their especially to eat. Its plain enough. I'd prfer Eddie Rockets behind the G.
    Don't know how much a pint is in the G but its expensive. Over a fiver. You can't walk up to the bar - they come down to your seat and take your order.
    Enjoy your stay in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

bladebrew wrote: »
    hey staying in the g next week,anyone know how long it would take to walk into the city centre,reading reviews on trip advisor and they range from 15mins to 30mins!
    and does anyone know how much a pint costs in the g??

heard the restaurant is way to expensive,someone mentioned the huntsman across the road is this place any good?
    cheers

Not a great reply, sent the parents there about a year ago for mams b-day and there weding aniversery. From the moment your car was valet parked it realy felt like luxuory ,They loved it and had a ball with all the extras i organised, champeign,flowers,chocs and cake. They ate in the huntsman across the road and said the bar was nice but it was only a cocktail bar,champeign place realy but one of them tryed a pint aswell and said it was very warm, expensive but nice and you pay by tap insted of paying for each round. They where also upgraded from a dewlux to a suite which looked huge, double shower the size of our bathroom free standing tub, fire, plasma tv and a well stocked mini bar dear though. They also got breakfast in bed and higly recomend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

cheers for the replies
    might be better to go to eddie rockets for food then to the huntsman for pints that night,not to keen on spending 32euro on a steak:eek:
    i wouldnt mind goin into the city,just cant really go on the lash because i have to drive early the next morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'm not sure on the closing time for the huntsman.

sgthighway wrote: »
    I'm not sure on the closing time for the huntsman.

yeah its a tuesday night,i didnt even think of that! might be quiet but its better than spending a fortune on drinks in the g,and i hate table service!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Unless you're an 80 year old woman it takes at most 15 minutes to walk from the Eye (which is pretty much the G) to Eyre Square. I've done it twice in the past week.

And if you're walking you won't feel the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Had dinner in the huntsman a couple of weeks ago. I had guinness which was delicious, spent about 4 something on the pint. The dinner was delicious, was eating with 5 others, everyone enjoyed thier dinners, no complaints.

You will not pay 32 euro for a steak, I think I was charged about 18-ish...? Included fries and veg.

The bill was very reasonable when it came to it.

No experience of the G though. Was very disappointed when the area became known as the Eye, and not what I wanted to call it - The G Spot.

:D

syklops wrote: »
    Had dinner in the huntsman a couple of weeks ago. I had guinness which was delicious, spent about 4 something on the pint. The dinner was delicious, was eating with 5 others, everyone enjoyed thier dinners, no complaints.

You will not pay 32 euro for a steak, I think I was charged about 18-ish...? Included fries and veg.

No experience of the G though. Was very disappointed when the area became known as the Eye, and not what I wanted to call it - The G Spot.

sorry i meant its 32euro for a fillet steak in the g!! for a 5 star hotel thats normal,eddie rockets just seems way more tempting!
    the huntsman seems like a better bet for food and drink though

• Advertisement

Had steak there on thursday (small and tasteless ) €26.50!

bladebrew wrote: »
    cheers for the replies
    might be better to go to eddie rockets for food then to the huntsman for pints that night,not to keen on spending 32euro on a steak:eek:
    i wouldnt mind goin into the city,just cant really go on the lash because i have to drive early the next morning!

Eddie Rockets Nooooooooooooo, thats just nasty..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

. . overstated, overpriced & soulless . .

AMHRASACH wrote: »
    . . overstated, overpriced & soulless . .

where the g? i suggested it to the g/f then it became a plan overnight:D
    im not to keen on it to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Bog standard commercial units which could as easily be used to sell ...well anything. Situated in a slightly out of the way approach road to Galway city (some of the rooms back on to a retail park, you can see Toy City from your expensive suite!), decorated with fancy wallpaper and BIG vases. Very pretentious (pints of Guinness server by waiters) , and expensive (home of the 15+ euro cocktail menu) for what you actual get. When you boil it down to what is actually on offer verse the buzz surrounding it – whoever was involved deserves credit for a A1 marketing job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Personally it would take me 10 minutes to walk to town from there!

I also happen to like the food in the Huntsman, compared to overhyped places like Mc Swiggans (which i find far inferior to the quality in the huntsman) although it would appear i am in the minority here backing the huntsman!
    I also know that cocktails in the G start at 12.50e which i think is outrageous! So i can only imagine that the price of regular drink in their is most likely daylight robbery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

I wouldnt be too put off by some of the more negative comments...

recent reviews of the food have been top class and the hotel came in in the top 3 hotels in the world for atmosphere and design in CN Traveler's Gold List this year:

http://www.cntraveller.com/GoldList/2009/

The Hotel's Entry:

http://www.cntraveller.com/GoldList/2009/Ambience_and_Design/G_Hotel_Galway/

Also found this link to the restaurant menu on the website:

http://www.theghotel.ie/images/File/Matz_@_the_g_Dinner_Menu[1].pdf

And a review:

I heard through the grapevine that Stefan Matz, the executive head chef from Ashford Castle, had taken charge of the kitchen at the g Hotel. Stefan was the person who created the excellent value/quality menu at Cullen’s restaurant in the grounds of Ashford Castle and I wondered if he would bring a similar offering to the g Hotel. He is also responsible for all the kitchens at Ashford Castle and has many serious awards to his credit including the Georgina Campbell chef of the year in 2007. Suffice it to say that the g is now a must visit for all food lovers and indeed for anyone who perhaps looked in those glittering windows and thought “I can’t afford to go in there”. The main covers are priced at €19 to €32 and that includes your vegetables. That, my friends, is very, very, competitive, and an example of what is on offer is black sole with crab meat in a velvet crab sauce for €25, and venison with redcurrant cream and crisp venison mousse for €22. Starters range from €6.50 to €15.50 and include inventive dishes to suit every palate.

Each starter, each main course, and each dessert has a perfectly matched wine recommendation, allowing you and your partner to perhaps have six different wines on the night. All are available by the glass at prices from €7.50 to €10. I have pleaded with many restaurants in Galway to do this and so far only a few have decided it is a good idea. It is not just a good idea, it is a great idea as it takes all the worry about which wine to choose and then hope that it works with up to perhaps six different dishes during the course of the meal. The suggestions on the menu are top class and in particular the “crossings” Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, is excellent.

To summarise, the menu has some great dishes and it is very competitively priced. The raw materials are all locally sourced and are of premium quality, the surroundings delightful, and the service excellent. This is the start of a new era of fine dining at the g and at these prices it is wholeheartedly recommended. The restaurant has been renamed Matz at the g.

Do yourself a favour and book it now before the word gets around!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They have a deal at the moment that offers €85 per person sharing per night for two nights with a third night free.You get full breakfast every day and valet parking.Over all that works out at around €56 per person sharing per night.That's not too bad for a taste of the high life!

I always think that the "Extraordinary prices for extraordinary times" slogan that they use for this deal sounds like an unfortunate reference to the recession rather than the great time that's to be had.They should rethink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A little OT, but that review above...

The menu at Cullin's (Ashford Castle) does NOT offer value for money. It's a total rip off for a moderate portion. I still go there the odd time though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Was very disappointed when the area became known as the Eye, and not what I wanted to call it - The G Spot.

Yeah, but would you have been able to find it? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement