Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP mup.sys

• 08-02-2009 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

So here is my deal :(

got my girlfriends, sister's laptop off her as it as AIDS and wanted a complete reformat.

I went about doing this, only to find out, the AIDS doesn't let the laptop boot at all, not past my most hated of all windows drivers - MUP.SYS

So no fear says I, slap in the old XP recovery cd.......

CD drive doesnt work, the BIOS doesnt even know its there!

How the hell to i re-install xp on it without the cd drive or getting past the boot screen.

Comments

Mup.sys is NEVER the cause of this issue despite what many people think. Mup.sys is simply the last Start 0 driver to load before the kernel initialises. In Vista this honour goes to crcdisk.sys. The problem which causes the machine to freeze occurs after the kernel has loaded.

If the CD drive doesn't work you might be able to use a USB CD drive if the laptop supports USB booting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some possible reasons are:
    • BIOS IDE emulation on SATA switched off
    • Motherboard changed from single core/single CPU type to one that could or does have multicore or multi cpu (not applicable on Laptop), or vice versa.
    • APCI/Power management setting in BIOS changed
    • Faulty RAM
    • damaged files/faulty HDD
    • Rarely UDMA setting
    • CDROM as slave on same cable as IDE Master (Common NT4.0 era problem that oftem made disk i/o very slow if it did boot)
    • Some other mysterious BIOS setting

BIOS settings can easily be reset or accidentally changed. Some have a jumper and/or coin battery that if loose or flat will mess up settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

thanks for the advice guys,

just to let you know, I can usb boot and did manage a boot into Linux last night, it too didn't pick up the cd drive either, which I believe could be at the heart of the mup.sys issue.

It did boot into windows the first time i tried, but it then bluescreened and you all know where I am now.

On some laptops you can disconnect the CD drive by removing one or two screws from the base whereas others aren't so easy. Maybe if you can try to remove it altogether you could determine if that's the problem or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

thats what I am currently at, and its not so easy! fecking thing is wielded in there with dust :(

Update:
    got the CD drive out but same error, so the next guess is hdd is corrupted.

using this now
    http://www.9down.com/Hiren-s-BootCD-9-7-54477/

anyone use it before? give me a pointer or two.

All I need is to get to the desktop :)

Update 2:
    that tool is amazing, i used mini xp to boot into, access the c drive copy over a fresh mup.sys, boot into safe mode and now starting installing xp from the usb, hope for the best guys :)

Update 3:

The reinstall fails, due to not been able to find iastor.sys, no idea what it is but don't care, the laptop is working.

I used system restore to put it back to last year and now updating everything!

• Advertisement
Advertisement