Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we afford Seanad Eireann any more?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

okay I posted here about the NDP a couple of weeks ago and Cowen says that it's gonna be cut so hopefully the same will happen in this case.

Just watching pathetic Eoghan Harris' performance last night on the Late Late I was thinking that maybe in recessionary times, An Bord SNIP should look at getting rid of Seanad Eireann.

It serves no purpose, and is meant to be in an "advisory role" to the Dáil. There are 60 senators (who earn approx €65,000 each = €3.9mill) and the administration costs. It is undemocratic, as eleven are nominated by the Taoiseach of the day (of which unsurprisingly Harris was one), six by the universities, and the remainder by a panel. It tends to be used a lot of time as a sort purgatory for TDs who have lost their seats, until they have another run at getting re-elected in the next election.

And whatever minor power that it does have, it should have not have as the people have not been elected to do so by the people of Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

I have always felt that the seanad is pointless. The little responsibilities it has are not important and never will be! Waste of time and money, should go for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

There are 60 senators (who earn approx €65,000 each = €3.9mill) and the administration costs.

Its jobs for the boys, and that why its no ridded of.

I would be more for reform than removal, as there is a serious lack of balance of power in this country. Maybe something based on party lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭B2k

turgon wrote: »
    I would be more for reform than removal, as there is a serious lack of balance of power in this country.

I agree. Would you like to see a system more based on the US model? Obviously it wouldn't be the exact same but it seems to be a better system if used correctly.

Link to structure chart here: http://www.library.arizona.edu/about/libraries/govdocs/research/govstructr.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Pointless, undemocratic and useless body. It should be scrapped as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

scrap it simple as!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

scrap it simple as!!

And leave legislation totally in the hands of the Dail, which means the cabinet?

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

And leave legislation totally in the hands of the Dail, which means the cabinet?

No thanks.

I dont see your point though. It's not like the Seanad is democratic and representative of the views of the common man. The eleven elected by the Taoiseach are going to back his party's view, no matter what they are trying to get passed. So it's already weighted in his favour.

I like Shane Ross and David Norris, they should be given positions within the government as advisors. I know it would be strange to pick public servants for promotion based on their ability, but we could break the rules this once.

No thanks.

Its already totally in the hands of the dail for all intensive purposes , if you think otherwise your only deluding yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

The executive controls the Seanad even more than the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Absolute sham of a body,get rid of it,no use to nobody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Its already totally in the hands of the dail for all intents and purposes, if you think otherwise your only deluding yourself

FYP

astrofool wrote: »
    FYP
    i wish you didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Can we afford 166 tds anymore - thats 1 for every 23,000 members of the population. Whereas England has 1 for every 70,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

This is such populist bull**** - scrap the Seanad and it will solve all our woes! :rolleyes:

Firstly, the Seanad does have a role in the making of legislation, and can even initiate legislation, so it is not at all pointless.

Also, it allows people like David Norris, Shane Ross etc to have a role, where they don't need to pander to constituents, unlike TDs, and give expert advise - David Norris has been responsible for number of postive iniciatives
    I do agree tho that their salaries shoudl be cut

Advertisement