Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rock vs austin

• 08-02-2009 3:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

what do you thinkwas there best match. mine was wm 17

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I agree with WM 17 was their best. As much effort Rock put in to being a heel in 1999 it just wasn't enough come WrestleMania 15. I just couldn't see past the mid/top carder, he didn't look like a maineventer.

In Your House Backlash 99 The Rock looked well and he didn't look out of place in that Main Event. But for that years WM he didn't do it for me, that WM is maybe the worst pre WM20

WM 19 was very good , it was a good mid/top card match.

WM 17 was where the energy was, an absolutely amazing match. I even overlooked the fact that the Rock was just handed the strap the month before and didn't really have heat - well fan favourite heat. But Austin just shined so well in that match and through that whole year (except towards the end when the Invasion angle had failed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

WM 17 was their best match imo, it had everything, told a good story,emotions were high and it had a pretty surprising heel turn at the end, which,as always JR made even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

"Austin is shaking hands with the Devil himself"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

"Austin just sold his SOUL!"

That angle was amazing.
    It showed what should be done at nearly every mania main event.

Where the score is settled at that match and there is a winner and a loser, not like having an instant "Wrestlemania rematch" at backlash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I think the Backlash rematch was due to a number of factors including a shift in the roster - Foley had been in the main slot or thereabouts for a while and he couldn't work that schedule anymore, Taker was to move into the main spot for the rest of the year....

Anyway, it was logical/inevitable that we were going to have a Backlash rematch after WM15

The follow up angle from WM17 was f-ucking fantastic :)
    Damn shame Trips hurt his leg, I thought him and Austin were on fire. Even though they were working with one of the worst tag teams ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

WM 17 for me. it just had an amazing storyline, and both guys were at the top of their game. i had zero interest whatsoever at the time in this bout, but i was absolutely blown away by the end result. Great storytelling.

WM 15 had great heat, and a long, long build for Austin winning the belt, but i didn't think it was a great match. Too much main-event-circa-99
    Shenanigans, and both guys looked a bit off at times. Backlash the following month was fantastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

The build up for WM 17 was amazing. Starting off even back at the rumble with both men on opposite sides of the ring and they just walk to the middle of the ring, eyes locked on each other and before going toe to toe. Brilliant.

Each week Raw and Smackdown was must see tv just to see what was gonna happen. Maybe its cos it was "simpler times" but ill never forget the reaction when after consecutiveky gettin stunnered on Raw and Smackdown by Austin, The Rock then had the audacity to Stun Austin!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: haha.

And the match is for me the most intense emotion filled match ever and it did not fail to deliver. There hasnt been a main event since with as well thought out a build up, as much chemistry between the two wrestlers and i doubt there ever will be.

This match was a culmination of two men who had risen through the ranks and built their characters off one another. There'll never be another feud/and/or main event like it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

As an aside, is there any chance that The Rock could make a return to the WWE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not full time no...But make 1 special appearence yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I wouldnt say he would yet in a wrestling position but theres nothing to say if he would make an appearance.
    Like he has already done HOF and a video appearance so in person is all thats left :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭golfguy

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not full time no...But make 1 special appearence yes.
    yes on ecw :rolleyes:

Advertisement