Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic Gaeltachtai?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've spoken to a friend of mine about an ideal place to live in in Ireland. I told him I'm looking for a place preferably near Dublin (or any other large city), Gaeilge-speaking, breath-taking, and open-minded (in ascending order of importance) in the countryside (ay, I want to be a mulchie...). However, it seems this is an impossible task.
    Can you tell me, then, where will be the ideal place for me to live and raise my future children (I'm only 17, but I can't stop thinking about them!)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hi,

For a start, the main Gaeltachts are located around Kerry, Connemara and Donegal. So not really near Dublin at all. You could probably be near enough to Galway city if you lived in the West.

As for homophobia, well I can't pretend to know much about the West of Ireland, but most small towns in Ireland haven't quite moved out of the dark ages yet and there would be an awful lot of prejudice. I grew up in Kildare and when I returned a few years later and everyone from school had hear I was gay I was having abuse shouted at me in the pub. Lovely. There's no point in pretending it would be easy, because it wouldn't and you would be the only gay in the village.

The smaller the community the more insular it is going to be as well. Country towns tend to not react well to blow-ins anyway, though this may be changing. Living in a Gaeltacht would also throw up a lot of hassles in finding work and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Shunra wrote: »

(ay, I want to be a mulchie...).

Maybe you could deal with some of your own prejudices - as per that remark - before putting out feelers to people who will decide there are prejudices in places they have never been?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Maybe you could deal with some of your own prejudices - as per that remark - before putting out feelers to people who will decide there are prejudices in places they have never been?

+1

Ye basically just said "Please dont judge me, u smelly bogger"

tut tut

Everywhere ye go will have open people and idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

Shunra wrote: »
    I've spoken to a friend of mine about an ideal place to live in in Ireland. I told him I'm looking for a place preferably near Dublin (or any other large city), Gaeilge-speaking, breath-taking, and open-minded (in ascending order of importance) in the countryside (ay, I want to be a mulchie...). However, it seems this is an impossible task.
    Can you tell me, then, where will be the ideal place for me to live and raise my future children (I'm only 17, but I can't stop thinking about them!)?

Thats just tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Powerhouse wrote: »
    unreggd wrote: »
    +1
    jady88 wrote: »
    Thats just tragic
    :confused: - came across as a bit of self deprecating humour to me, not prejudice. And it's culchie, not mulchie :).

OP - it might be a bit of an impossible task, alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only a minimal remaining area of the Gaelthacts are actually Irish speaking day to day anyway; the language of business and of general out-of-home conversation has been English for some time in most of the Donegal one anyway. Galway would be the best bet.

You will be quite some distance from Dublin. Galway has a small scene where you'll get to know everyone in two months of weekends out.

NONE of the Gaelthact areas are going to be open minded realistically. There is a reason that all the gays from them leave... I don't think I could move back to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There is one Gaelteact in a commutable distance from Dublin and that is Rathcairn which is situated near Athboy in county Meath. They have a have a all Irish speaking primary school and secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

I live very close to Rathcarin in Meath. It's a real nice area. There's also Gibbstown which is between Kells and Navan though it's not quite as strict on the Irish as Rathcarin...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would suggest maybe rethinking this whole thing. As you said you are way too young to be thinking of family and where to live!

I dtaobh na nGaeltachtai, ta an ceart agat ansin, ta Gaeltacht suite in aice Bhlea Cliath darb ainm Rath Cairn. Bhios fein ann cupla uair agus bhi homophobia de chineal ar fail sa gceantar. Is docha go mbeidh an craic sin ar fail i chuile ait ar fud na tire.

Duradh liom le deanai go bhfuil se ar intinn ag Foras na Gaeilge tacaiocht a thabhairt do bhunadh Gaeltachta i mBaile Munna (ballymun), n'fheadar bhfuil se sin fos ar intinn acu.

Thig leat smaoineamh ar Bheal Feirste agus aiteanna eile i mBlea Cliath. Labhraitear Gaeilge nios minici i mBAC anois. Ta Club an Chonartha ann, an-chuid eagraiochta Gaeilge srl. Ni ga duit imeacht go hait iargulta chun a bheith tumtha isteach i saol na Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

They may not be as bad as you say,
    was working in the Gaeltacht last year
    and 2 guys who got married abroad came back to where
    he is from originally to have the wedding reception
    Dont wanna say exactly where it was as Ireland is very small
    but lets just say the reception was in an isolated pub, in the heart of the gaeltacht and was absolutely mental craic, all the locals joined in and
    was enjoyed by everyone in the locality.
    They might not be as reluctant to accept things as you may think!

• Advertisement
Advertisement