Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renewable alternative energy

• 08-02-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭

a US goal is to become energy self sufficient

Towards this end, I came across a company that produces
    Solar Cells by printing organic dies onto metal foil.

The watt yield converts 4-5% of the sunlight exposure to electricity.
    The sun yields approximately 250 W/(M^2) [1]
    therefor one square meter of foil would create 10-12 Watts of electricity.
    10 square meters on a roof top could produce 100 to 120 watts of power.
    That is not enough power to run a household.

However,
    the production cost is cheap
    claiming to return cost in energy in less than a month.

Nano_NG.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to Green Issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

While the gren party may support this issue,
    I feel the subject on how the US is to become energy independent is a stated goal of the new Obahma administration in the US politics.
    Scuffling the thread from that forum marginalizes it's roll by the government.

Matt Holck wrote: »
    While the gren party may support this issue,
    I feel the subject on how the US is to become energy independent is a stated goal of the new Obahma administration in the US politics.
    Scuffling the thread from that forum marginalizes it's roll by the government.

Ah, so that's what you wanted to discuss, my apologies I though you wanted to begin a discussion on advances in renewable energy sources like the one above. This forum being one to discuss such matters.

agreed

I think the subject can funtion in both forums
    to begin a discussion on advances in renewable energy sources

indeed what programs the US government should be funding

indeed what programs the US government should be funding

Well, there's a difference, do you want to discuss it purely from a US context or do you want to discuss renewable energy in general? If it's the latter it should be here, if it's the former US Politics would be a good forum for it. I don't mind but if it is the former, report the OP and ask the mods here to move the thread back.

• Advertisement

I don't know what OP means

Original Post in this instance. Sorry, overusing acronyms is a bad habit of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 toastelectric

Australia has now turned away from green energy after many states electricity prices went to the highest in the world. Its not working, engineers have been saying its not going to work. There was an article in last Sunday Business Post that Gaelectric (the big Irish wind energy Company) is sitting of 42 million euros of debt and hopes someone to bail them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 toastelectric

OP has many many meanings. You can search for them on Wikipedia but on internet chat forums its normally means Original Poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Australia has now turned away from green energy after many states electricity prices went to the highest in the world. Its not working, engineers have been saying its not going to work. There was an article in last Sunday Business Post that Gaelectric (the big Irish wind energy Company) is sitting of 42 million euros of debt and hopes someone to bail them out.

If we argued that Debt was a reason not to proceed with a technology or a business then the internet wouldn't exist, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc all would have died within their first years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If we argued that Debt was a reason not to proceed with a technology or a business
    Hydroelectric and nuclear would never get built either

Gaelectric have 174MW of wind energy out of 3,320 on the Island and a further 4,051 planned.

Advertisement