Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pension levy on public service

Options
  • 08-02-2009 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

What do non public service people think of the new pension levy being introduced by the government. Is it fair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

What do non public service people think of the new pension levy being introduced by the government. Is it fair?

As a means of enforcing a pay cut, it is the farest, since it protects the existing pensioners from equilivent reductions, and after the medical card fiasco, they were not going to risk that.

As to if it is fair to cut public service pay, well the private sector is getting pay cuts and job losses, is that fair ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 FrancieB

As a means of enforcing a pay cut, it is the farest, since it protects the existing pensioners from equilivent reductions, and after the medical card fiasco, they were not going to risk that.

As to if it is fair to cut public service pay, well the private sector is getting pay cuts and job losses, is that fair ???

Yes its totally fair. If i had a say i'd take 50% off their wages. They havent worked a day in their life and dont deserve jobs.

FrancieB wrote: »
    Yes its totally fair. If i had a say i'd take 50% off their wages. They havent worked a day in their life and dont deserve jobs.

Oh look, a TROLL...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Yup, I work in the public sector (HSE) and there are a heck of a lot of useless people doing feck all. It's a soul destroying place to work and I just wish I had the balls to leave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 feduptotheteeth

Hmm I have no doubt most public sector workers would disagree about the pension levy while most if not all would agree with some form of contribution to steady the public finances. But here's the thing, Bank of Ireland have just given their staff a pay increase as has the ESB. The pension levy is being introduced to save 2bn yet the government are shoring up the banking system with 7 bn euro. How can you explain to a Nurse , fire fighter or Garda who are out saving lives and in danger to themselves that they must take a pay cut while those they are trying to "stimulate" in the private sector start giving themselves a pay rise. This all smacks of "good enough for those with permanent pensionable jobs" Those in the private sector who made the most out of the Celtic Tiger should be made to pay, as well as the public service. Cosy cartels between local authority representatives and government departments with banking and business has led our country into this mess - not the public service. Yes the public service is bloated and can be trimmed back and I think this may be the way to achieve more realsitic targets of savings in the public sector. I expect that most post replies will be of the begrudging variety of "they have permanent pensionable jobs and deserve everything they get" but this will not solve the problem. The public service did not make a killing out of the celtic tiger. In fact the much maligned (and in my view flawed) Benchmarking system took the pension of a public servant into account in the last report. This system was used to bring public service worker wages up to private sector standard. A crazy idea to start with but one embraced whole heartedly by the Unions and Government. In the end the Unions were hoodwinked and only the top ranks of the public sector came out with massive increases. I would recommend that those increases be reversed but I doubt if that would be a runner. So before everybody gets on the punish the public sector bandwagon, think this thing through and remember that we will always need our nurses, fire fighters and Gardai as well as a lot of other public servants. We really need to get to the people who caused the problem in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 FrancieB

Oh look, a TROLL...

Whats the purpose of this? You have my IP? Are you coming to kill me? Loser

Whats the purpose of this?

Am i wrong ??
    You have my IP?

No, do you have mine ?
    Are you coming to kill me?

Are you paranoid or something?
    Loser

Said the troller....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've not seen a thread car crash so quickly in sometime.

FrancieB - take a week off.

Gerard - you've been around long enough to know not to respond on thread, but to report objectionable posts.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement