Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco 'Extra' in Douglas

Options
  • 08-02-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Just seen a big banner at Tesco Mahon advertising for staff for a new Tesco 'Extra' in Douglas.....

Is this a re-branding of the odl Douglas store ? (in which case why do they need more staff) or is it a another smaller store ?

Anyone heard ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

In april or may the old tescos is going to be closed in douglas village shopping centre and the new one will open in the new section by the south douglas road. When the old one is closed it will be transformed into seperate shops and whatnot then over a period of time. "Extra" stores, generally have "extra" things like clothes. Will be the same as Mahon point tesco really.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    I Will be the same as Mahon point tesco really.

Half empty, only some items priced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

The extra part is not just clothes. They'll be doing home appliances now to. So it's more like the argos and argos extra so not the same as mahon at all. (Larger tescos have appliances yes like george foremans and such and a few tv) The extra stores will be doing fridges and washing machines and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cathy21

I don't know what is going on with the new tesco but I was in the new douglas car park for the first time on Friday. It was very busy but so easy to drive around it.I think I am going to like shopping there when they open. Anyone know when they are open???? the old store just seems a bit dated.If it is anything like the tesco extra i was in when I visited my friends in england, it will be a great store. :):o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

It's opening May 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Same happened in Maynooth, big new store with electrical stuff, large clothes sections and giant walls of 7up and corn flakes. The old tesco that it left is still abandoned with "shops coming soon"......
    Going to be the same as any big tesco, everything except what you are looking for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 looper20

you must work for tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

looper20 wrote: »
    you must work for tesco

¬Welcome to Boards! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 looper20

cathy21 wrote: »
    I don't know what is going on with the new tesco but I was in the new douglas car park for the first time on Friday. It was very busy but so easy to drive around it.I think I am going to like shopping there when they open. Anyone know when they are open???? the old store just seems a bit dated.If it is anything like the tesco extra i was in when I visited my friends in england, it will be a great store. :):o:p
    dont supp the new tesco dougles store . support works to keep they pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

looper20

Can you elaborate a bit more on your vendetta against Tescos??

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

looper, your next post better have some point to it or ill be sending you for an early shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

More inappropriate development that will further congest the South Ring as far as I am concerned. Developers and retailers seem to regard the N25 as their very own street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Well apparently all the staff in the existing Tesco in Douglas are being laid off and new staff hired for the new store at a cheaper rate....kinda sucks really and will indeed make me think twice about ever going to it. I guess I will stick with Dunnes in Douglsa Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ludo wrote: »
    Well apparently all the staff in the existing Tesco in Douglas are being laid off and new staff hired for the new store at a cheaper rate....kinda sucks really and will indeed make me think twice about ever going to it. I guess I will stick with Dunnes in Douglsa Court.

is this true about Tesco and their staff in the old shop?
    Yes, I still mainly shop in Dunnes in Douglas Court, they have some good offers there a lot of the time.

is this true about Tesco and their staff in the old shop?
    Yes, I still mainly shop in Dunnes in Douglas Court, they have some good offers there a lot of the time.

Apparently so. There was something on the radio about it yesterday I believe. Lots of staff working there who have been there since it was Quinnsworth will find themselves out of a job. They can reapply for jobs in the new store like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭geffkane

yeah. They will give all their current staff statutory minimun redundancy and then hire cheap contract workers for the new store. The current staff some of whom have worked there a long time are in effect being fired but they can technically get away with it as the location has been moved to the other end of the shopping centre. People will compain a bit but Tesco can handle that.

Remember when Hibernian Aviva moved employment to an oursourced conractor in Mumbai. People said that they would boycott them but nothing happened

Remember when Irish Ferries fired all their workers and reflagged so that they could pay contract workers below the minimun wage. The Unions caved in and agreed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well apparently all the staff in the existing Tesco in Douglas are being laid off and new staff hired for the new store at a cheaper rate

Is there any link to this? I know of some people working there and havent heard any of this.

jank wrote: »
    Is there any link to this? I know of some people working there and havent heard any of this.

Nope...I only heard it by word of mouth. The parents heard something about it on local radio some morning last week. Hence the "apparently" ;)

Update from the Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/tesco-workers-in-cork-vote-for-industrial-action-1714418.html
    Tesco workers in Cork vote for industrial action

Workers at a Tesco store in Cork have voted to take industrial action in a row over terms and conditions.

The dispute centres on a plan by the British retailer to force new terms and conditions on a small number of workers who are moving to a new store on the same site in Douglas.

Employees have been told they will be made redundant if they don't sign up to the new terms.

Staff have responded by voting overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action.

News of the stand-off comes on the same day that Tesco reports annual pre-tax profits of more than €3.5bn, a 10% increase on the previous year.

Enough already...we heard you the first time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ludo wrote: »
    Nope...I only heard it by word of mouth. The parents heard something about it on local radio some morning last week. Hence the "apparently" ;)

Update from the Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/tesco-workers-in-cork-vote-for-industrial-action-1714418.html

If these guys are working for the company since it was Quinnsworth, they probably are on a pre '96 contract where they only work between 8 and 6.
    They probably get overtime if they work out side those hours.

How is this supposed to work in a 24 hour shop?

The extra stores are mostly hardware more than food, they would have to retrain.

I wouldn't like to work beside one of those employees.

A new Extra store has opened in Arklow and Maynooth, how come the workers moved to the new stores?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Furet wrote: »
    More inappropriate development that will further congest the South Ring as far as I am concerned. Developers and retailers seem to regard the N25 as their very own street.

The South ring just needs two overpasses on those two roundabouts and some sort of strategy towards Dunkettle interchange, then you can throw as much as you want on it.

Although Mahon is a bit of a mess too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The mess in Mahon was caused by the city itself not allowing the extra access roads they wanted to build.

MC

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

looper take a 7 day hiatus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If these guys are working for the company since it was Quinnsworth, they probably are on a pre '96 contract where they only work between 8 and 6.
    They probably get overtime if they work out side those hours.

How is this supposed to work in a 24 hour shop?

The extra stores are mostly hardware more than food, they would have to retrain.

I wouldn't like to work beside one of those employees.

A new Extra store has opened in Arklow and Maynooth, how come the workers moved to the new stores?

Well do you want these staff to work 24 hour shifts? These staff can work their normal shift and let others fill around them. Problem solved!
    I dont think they have any issues with the retraining. It is part of the course.

How would you like to be told that you have quit your job and apply for a "new" job in a company that you have worked with for over 10 years. Take a pay cut and lose all your years you have built up in the company.
    A company that has made 3.5 billion profit. Sorry but I am totally on the side of the staff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

The strike has ended, Tesco and it's workers are now entering into talks with the Labour Relations Commission:
    Tesco workers end strike to allow for LRC talks

Workers at the Tesco outlet in the Douglas area of Cork have suspended their strike to allow for talks at the Labour Relations Commission.

Around 80 members of the Mandate trade union began picketing the store yesterday as part of a dispute over their terms and conditions.

The British retailer is moving staff to a new store on the same site in Douglas and has told a small number of workers that they must accept inferior contracts or they will be made redundant.

The two sides will attempt to resolve the stand-off at the LRC today.

Evening Echo

Advertisement