Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Would You Rather See Relegated: Tottenham or Newcastle?

• 08-02-2009 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

http://www.epltalk.com/who-would-you-rather-see-relegated-tottenham-or-newcastle/4285
    February 7th, 2009 By tyduffy
    It’s two-thirds of the way through the season, and purported big clubs Newcastle and Tottenham remain entrenched in the relegation rumble.

Newcastle sputtered amid boardroom confusion, after the departure of manager Kevin Keegan. Tottenham played woefully under Juande Ramos and their squad has flat-lined after an early revival from Harry Redknapp and his magical ketchup. Both teams sit within five points of the drop.

Both Tottenham and Newcastle have an odious stench and many neutral detractors. So it begs the question, which big club relegation would be more enjoyable?

Boardroom: Tottenham

Newcastle escaped from Fat Freddy Sheppard’s unctuous palms when Mike Ashley bought the club. Ashley’s had his poorly thought out moments, notably wearing a Newcastle shirt, boozing it up with the patrons and bungling the Kevin Keegan fiasco. But, despite the Cockney Mafia signs, he seems to have tried to the decent thing. Genuinely hurt by the fans’ response, he made a good faith effort to sell. Any more misery piled on him seems gratuitous at this point.

Levy, in contrast, deserves whatever pain comes his way. Spurs are on manager number seven during his chairmanship. Damien Comolli was successful everywhere else. Martin Jol and Juande Ramos are doing decent jobs in their new gigs. Levy has been ever present, as have the same problems – a babied squad, overspending on attacking players and an incompetent back four. Levy has taken no responsibility for consistent failure. Nor has he changed tack. Relegation would be fitting.

Player: Tottenham

Apart from the pantomime Joey Barton, Newcastle’s players pose no problem. They can hardly be blamed for their hodgepodge assembly under a succession of managers, board leaders and financial environments. Most will be playing for other squads next season, regardless of the league. There is no particular glee from seeing these players relegated.

Tottenham, however, would be delightful. Their players epitomize the problems with English players. They would rather toil in lucrative mediocrity while enjoying the London lifestyle at Spurs, rather than challenge themselves at a Big Four club or a Champions League club elsewhere in Europe. Their players are gutless in pressure situations. They celebrate minor triumphs disproportionately. It would be fantastic to see Tottenham’s players down.

Managers: Newcastle

Joe Kinnear is a pompous dinosaur. The thirtieth-choice manager rolled into the Premier League on a whirlwind of vitriol. His comments toward reporters, referees, and players have been clownish, both in subject matter and sentiment. During the initial recovery it was his doing, when the team began to falter again, it was the players fault. He deserves the stain.

Harry Redknapp is greedy, slippery and always for sale. He’s been linked, but not charged with transfer corruption. He’s manipulative. But, no one outside the greater Portsmouth area would accuse the man of being evil. He’s no Kinnear and he’s worth keeping around, at least for his jowls.

Fans: Tottenham

Newcastles Geordie fans come with all the assorted jokes. They’re louts, lardos and drunkards. When shirtless, it’s hard to tell the men from the women. They are probably unemployed. They support their team beyond all reason on message boards. But, they are true, passionate fans – you would have to be to root for Newcastle. They would be pathetic and heartbroken.

Spurs fans are abusive, racist and homophobic, which is marginally worse than Newcastle’s Mido-directed malevolence. What edges the judgment toward them is expectation. Spurs spent heavily in the summer, forcing fans into the delusion of a Champions League place. For Tottenham fans to travel from those heights to relegation in nine months would be catastrophic, and amusing for those not involved.

Conclusion: It would be far more enjoyable if Tottenham went down.

Who Would You Rather See Relegated: Tottenham or Newcastle? 68 votes

Newcastle United
    0% 0 votes
    Tottenham Hotspur
    100% 68 votes

Comments

Hard choice as I have a soft spot for both clubs.

Would have to choose Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jeez, whoever wrote that doesn't half like to generalize do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Harsh but fair, pity they didn't throw Citeh into that mix.

I would be highly amused by seeing both go down but that would mean someone like Stoke staying up and thats not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How about throwing in Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool as well. I'm sure they would get as many if not more votes than the two clubs above, one of which won yesterday and the other who could win today. Jeebus.

Whats the whole point of this pole, really? I mean who cares if one is more popular or unpopular than the other, who really cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'll obviously be biased and say Newcastle. Still if we did get relegated we'd have the largest crowd to ever turn up to a Championship game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

eagle eye wrote: »
    How about throwing in Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool as well. I'm sure they would get as many if not more votes than the two clubs above, one of which won yesterday and the other who could win today. Jeebus.

Whats the whole point of this pole, really? I mean who cares if one is more popular or unpopular than the other, who really cares?
    I read an article of interest to me and maybe some others, put it up, and attached the poll. Also had a conversation about this topic yesterday with a Man U fan before I read it.

Am terribly sorry for your inconvenience.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'll obviously be biased and say Newcastle.
    Er, I hope you mean to say SPurs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I would love Spurs to go down because I think Harry Redknapp is just so unlikable. His behaviour is out of order constantly and the chap seems to think he can san whatever he wants about other clubs players and its acceptable.

kinaldo wrote: »
    I read an article of interest to me and maybe some others, put it up, and attached the poll. Also had a conversation about this topic yesterday with a Man U fan before I read it.

Am terribly sorry for your inconvenience.
    An article is fine, no prob and discuss it, but a poll, whats the point?

An article is fine, no prob and discuss it, but a poll, whats the point?
    because the title of the article poses the question

what do you care ?

• Advertisement

because the title of the article poses the question

what do you care ?
    Well how about if there was an option of neither?

And the question I'm asking is what outcome are you looking for and for what reason?
    In other words whats the point of the poll?

man city, newcastle and spurs all to go down. Imagine that ! Think one of them will though

And the question I'm asking is what outcome are you looking for and for what reason?

Quit being pedantic, it gives the impression you're a jerk, which I am sure you are not.

you may as well then ask what's the point in polls, period

personally I'm interested in the perception of both clubs from a neutral standpoint

how about answering my question, what do you care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Spurs cos i hate harry redknapp

you may as well then ask what's the point in polls, period

personally I'm interested in the perception of both clubs from a neutral standpoint

how about answering my question, what do you care?
    I feel the poll does not give everyone a chance to vote.
    I personally would not like to see either of those clubs go down.
    I don't follow either club, but they are two big clubs and they have a lot to offer the Premier League.
    So for me your'e poll does not have an option that I would vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why can't I have both? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd much rather see spurs go down. Given leaving newcastle has definitly made me less fond of newcastle though. But any club who highers Harry "dodgy C*nt" Redknapp desverves to fail miserably. They also dont have any players who I like. To be honest the only thing Newcastle have going for themsevles in Kinnear, whos a legend. Most of there players are pretty easy to hate aswell.

I feel the poll does not give everyone a chance to vote.
    I personally would not like to see either of those clubs go down.
    I don't follow either club, but they are two big clubs and they have a lot to offer the Premier League.
    So for me your'e poll does not have an option that I would vote for.
    Unfortunately it appears that I can't edit it to include neither, but I think not voting and / or stating your opinion just about covers it.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Why can't I have both? :(
    don't be greedy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There shouldnt be a neither or both opition. The article is basically saying if your were forced to pick, who would it be? It's not rocket science lads, just pick spurs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Newcastle, they offer nothing to the premiership. They need to get relegated to realise they are not a big club, do a total cleanout of the shít and then try and come back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Hard to choose with these two. Would have ticked Who Cares if given the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

+1
    What he said

I hope Joe Kinnear recovers soon from hospital and stays up, and I hope Robbie Keane keeps spurs up with a winner in the 90min in their last game of the season, whos that against again?
    Melion wrote: »
    They need to get relegated to realise they are not a big club

What!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Newcastle, although I haven't any strong feelings, good or otherwise, about Spurs so it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Newcastle, they offer nothing to the premiership. They need to get relegated to realise they are not a big club, do a total cleanout of the shít and then try and come back up.

I've heard a lot of people say relegation could be good for them, to clear the decks, but I don't think it's really that simple. Look at the amount of teams that struggle when they go down. At the moment you have Charlton (who look positively fucked) at the bottom of the Championship, with Southampton and Watford just ahead of them - all teams who were relegated from the Premiership in the last few years. Obviously there are exceptions, Reading and Birmingham look a good shout to come straight back, but does it happen that often? (As far as I remember only once have all relegated teams come straight back up on the first try).

Anyway, I wouldn't like to see either club go down. I think they both offer more than a lot of teams down there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

both teams have only 1 irish player each, and it would be funnier if tottenham went down.

When have we stated that we we're. Biggest misconception in the EPL is that Toon fans regard their team as a 'big club'. We know we're woeful on a bad day, mediocre on a good one.

Seriously, put down that copy of The Sun or whatever rag it is you seem to draw your opinions from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No more debating whether the thread should have a poll or not. It does, and clicking buttons is fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Being a Spurs fan I obviously voted Newcastle, but to be honest I don't have any bad feelings for Newcastle and wouldn't like to see them get relegated either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

'Arry and Spurs this season then NUFC next season, though Wouldn't mind watching Newky go down on the last day as Villa clinch the title and/or CL qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

des says "Sunderland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

spurs

definitely spurs

newcastle fans can be pretty embarrassing the way they go on, but some spurs fans take it to a whole new level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If Spurs go down, a lot of their players would become available. But I'd rather see Newcastle go down. Don't know why, just the way the club has been going on recently and their squad is quite ****. Then again, you can say that about my club too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Really dont think either of them will get relegated and would be more worried about Tony Adams and Portsmouth or Gareth Southgate and Middelsboro this season filling the relegation spots. 1 of these two will go down imo alongside Stoke and West Brom.

Newcastle will finish around 15th and Spurs 11/12th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

At the start of the season I would of said newcastle but that clown mike ashely running their club makes me feel sorry for them.

I also hate harry rednapp for spawning jamie rednapp and leaving porthsmith in the lurch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm a Sunderland fan. Take a guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Spurs: For firing one of the best managers in the PL at the time, who would have got them into the top 4 with the finances that came after he was sacked.

People underestimated Jol but look at Spurs with more money (but without him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Boro.

They add absoloutely nothing.....to anything.

Besides that I dont want either Duff or Robbie in the Cship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Esse85 wrote: »
    Spurs cos i hate harry redknapp

^^^ This

• Advertisement

Silly, silly me, I just accidently voted for Newcastle :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

newcastle. you're not a big team and never will be. spend some time down the divisions to realise this

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Spurs cause they think they are a huge club and every year say they will challenge the top 4 plus I don't like Redknapp and also cause Spurs are the darlings of Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Going down is not good for any team. Once you are out of the big money league big players jump ship and its hard to get back up there again. You could be looking at several years before a team recovers from that (if at all - Forest, Leeds, Luton).

Having said all that, its Newcastle for me - hope they drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

poindexter wrote: »
    newcastle. you're not a big team and never will be. spend some time down the divisions to realise this
    One of the biggest teams in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

poindexter wrote: »

might not be a big team but they're a massive club. i wouldn't like to see either go down much rather see sunderland go but cos i had to choose had to pick spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Going down is not good for any team.

Thanks for the insight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

How about both of them going down? Unlikley as it is I'd like to see them both gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As others have said I'd like to see Spurs relegated because of Redknapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Spurs fan, so obviously Newcastle to go down.

But it's better when they stay 16th-17th, that way it's a crisis but we get to see defensive howlers and team-mates giving Enrique stick on Match of the Day.

Though it's that entertaining, I'm sure MOTD would show their games if they were in the championship.

• Advertisement
Advertisement