Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in diasater areas...

Options
  • 08-02-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Im not sure how much this has sunk in with people but 60% of Qld is under water. That is a HUGE area !!
    < some what paradoxically a great portion of the same areas are also in drought >

Im sure there is going to be a huge amount of labouring work available in the recovery of towns in these areas. Be this working casually for the local authorites, builders or even working direct for home owners helping clean them of mud and slurry for cash in hand.

One could envisage a lucrative little earner for a smart bunch of guys with boots and a willingness to work the shovel.

Turn up with a van a sump pump wheel barrow and take it from there. Im sure the locals would welcome aid with open arms.

I for one have a job in Ingham ( area worst hit ) and I cant get anyone round it to do small snagging works recently, what will it be like after the dust settles...?

North Qld would be a great place to see out winter too and can aid visa issue as a rural area...

Now no more whinging about work, use your initiatove, do some hard graft or go home ;)

This is how the US was built !

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

that is not however how Australia is built mate.

We have properties up there, Jaysus we have to rebuild 3 Fckin bridges just to get to it,

Australia is built on mateship and fairplay, if you have a van, a pump, some shovels and free time shift yer arse up there and HELP.

if you go up as a parasitic opportunist you WILL be lynched, specificaly stay away from the Ethridge shire or I will do it myself for givin us Irish a bad rep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

sory about goinoff on a rant, something about that post makes me angry

butanyhoo

the other problem thats gonna surface is Denge fever, this could be a very bad year for Australia :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

We have properties up there, Jaysus we have to rebuild 3 Fckin bridges just to get to it,

Australia is built on mateship and fairplay, if you have a van, a pump, some shovels and free time shift yer arse up there and HELP.

if you go up as a parasitic opportunist you WILL be lynched, specificaly stay away from the Ethridge shire or I will do it myself for givin us Irish a bad rep.

yeah fair play is right:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

America was built by hard graft, that is what I intended with that statement.

Local builders are going to be off their tree busy when the waters subside, they are going to need help, they are going to be working for insurance monies.

The SES can only do so much and I in no way intended this to be a parasitic statement but purely there will be work that need doing and volunteering will only go so far.........

I think you took a tone from my post that is not intended.

Many hands make light work and not much work, regardless of mateship wll be done for free. Going to help out in these areas is just that helping out, even if one is to get paid for it....and would be welcome.

Sorry if you read the intent of my post wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I agree with you.... it does no harm to muck in and help people when they are in the sh!t.

Sticking your arm into someone when their luck is down is Un-Australian and Un-Irish.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I agree with you.... it does no harm to muck in and help people when they are in the sh!t.

Sticking your arm into someone when their luck is down is Un-Australian and Un-Irish.

People need to take a reality check here, its Australia not Rwanda or Somalia.

Repair works need to be done and it will be done from insurance money and state emergency budgets, no one will be relaying hunderds of thousands of metres of new floors for free, re wiring buildings or carting tonnes of sludge. Local builders are going to be mad busy and the best way you can help in reality is make your slef available for some hard graft, down and dirty work.3
    911 was a major disater was this put right out of the kindness of many solus hearts ??

I have experienced the storms here and again the roofers were mad busy repairing roofs, after the initial SES and volunteer clear up. After the initial efforts of clearing etc there is million upon millions of dollars of trade and building work to be done.

No amount of mateship is doing this for free. Get a reality check.
    People pitch in close to the event and immediately after to just clean up etc but all the real work that requires professionals will cost money.

There is not enough peopel in these remote rural areas to do it all. Workers will be welcomed and indeed Needed as part of this.

I think some people have all sorts of delusions about how the sitautions may be repaired. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I was in a course with an SES guy today. He has lads waiting in lines to travel and help in the fire affected areas.

If I even suggested what you did I would be minus a head.

Fact is there are a lot of people including me prepared to travel to the rural areas and help for nothing.

I have to agree with Mahatma the initial post rattled me greatly, but I dont think you meant any malice by it.

In case you dont believe me read this below about help offers

http://blogs.abc.net.au/victoria/2009/02/offer-help---or.html

Zambia232 wrote: »

I have to agree with Mahatma the initial post rattled me greatly, but I dont think you meant any malice by it.
    [/url]

I have gon to great pains to stress this fact and I apologise to anyone who may have taken offence.

At the end of the day however charity will only go so far and a lack of workers to re build, once the dust has settled, will slow down the reparation process. More workers in the areas will be a great help later on.

Contractors will be working for years and months long after the volunteers have gone home.

I have 1st hand experience of a guy I work, with whose roof was torn off 2 days in a row by the early Brizzy storms, after all the volunteers left, the newpapers and cameras were gone and the trees were cleared from the streets, he still had to fork out 10s of thousands from insurance monies to have his roof fixed.
    Who is going to do this work in areas with sparse or no skilled labour ???

Im just trying to illustrate the practicality of the situation and what at the end of the day, is the reality, after the help is gone.

In Brisbane there were plenty of roofers and he got sorted pretty quick, how long is someone going to wait in remote North Qld for some trades to make good the damage ?

take of this what you will and we can leave it there.

I know for one I will be getting a bill from local contractors in Ingham to rectify damage in the building I was refurbishing ! that is if I can get them to get there as they will be so busy..............

Advertisement