Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISO on the 350D - is noise an issue?

• 08-02-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I think the ISO goes up to 1600 on the 350d but anything over 400 starts to become noisy with 1600 becoming really noisy. I think the only steps above 400 are 800 and 1600 aswell.

Is it just in dark shots that this camera would not be that great or will it cause problems in other shots aswell?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Any time you have the noise up high you'll notice noise,It will be more darker at night and the noise will be more noticeable

But during the day it would still be there but the noise wouldn't be as noticeable due to the more colours that are seen during the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Considering it's one of the more consumer models - Canon weren't exactly too worried about Pro's using them and having really, really noisy pictures. So there's just crap noise handling on them. Also has to do with the smaller sensor size.

Better models like the 1D / 5D and maybe 40D would have better noise handling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Considering it's one of the more consumer models - Canon weren't exactly too worried about Pro's using them and having really, really noisy pictures. So there's just crap noise handling on them. Also has to do with the smaller sensor size.

Is the sensor smaller on the 350D to the 40D sized cameras?

What crop factor does it give if so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I think the sensors are the same size on the 350D and the 40D but the 40D is a semi pro model and has better features which includes ISO handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Perceptions change:D

In its time the 350D was seen as leading the pack in noise control, if you have a look at the conclusions page of its DPReview you'll see that.

If you compare it to the 450D on DXO mark, you'll see that the high ISO scores only 7-8% lower.

TBH, if you can get one at a low enough price I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i had one for a good while (was my first new camera in years) it wont cause any problems at lower ISO settings like say under 400 and of course if you do need to shoot low light at higer ISO you do have the option to apply in camera noise reduction and these days theres all sorts of software solutions available too. But really in everyday situations there's no noise problems associated with this camera.

Fionn wrote: »
    i had one for a good while (was my first new camera in years) it wont cause any problems at lower ISO settings like say under 400 and of course if you do need to shoot low light at higer ISO you do have the option to apply in camera noise reduction and these days theres all sorts of software solutions available too. But really in everyday situations there's no noise problems associated with this camera.

Good to hear. Just to let you know I do intend to make alot of use from manual control.

I think I'll get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

do, its a great little camera!!
    i think i sold mine for €600 :eek:

good luck with it and post up photographs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Is the sensor smaller on the 350D to the 40D sized cameras?

What crop factor does it give if so?

The 350D has a crop factor of 1.6

Definately poor noise handling compared to current models but not a bad unit and some good results can be obtained if careful.

Shots can be very soft from this unit requiring a good degree of sharpening sometimes, even when used with a pro lens.

What will the resale value be if I sold it in a year?

They seem to be going for around 200 at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement