Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dashboard holder for garmin 255w

Options
  • 08-02-2009 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could get a proper mount for a garmin gps. I got it packaged with a suction cup for the windscreen and another sticking plastic holder for the dashboard but it wont stick on properly. I tried going to halfords but they have a holder that you have to screw onto the dashboard and a weight also attched to it. Didnt look the best of ideas to be honest and I dont want to ruin the dashboard. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

have a look on the garmin website, i dont think the plastic circle will stick to dashboards that are rough

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Hi,

Try searching for Brodit Proclip. It's a two part thing. One part is specific to your car so you can for example get a clip that attaches to the air vent in your centre console.

The second part is device specific so you get a connector for a garmin nuvi. The two screw together and just clip onto your dash with no screws and Bob is indeed your uncle.

Got one of these for my car and nuvi 710.

/Zith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's the problem with the windscreen mount? I've had two Nuvis so far and the windscreen mount sticks like glue, you just have to lick your finger and then wipe it over the black sucker surface, that gives a perfect airlock and the mount sticks to the windscreen with a vengeance. Did you peel off the transparent plastic cover on the sucker?

When you press the sucker against the glass the little trigger underneath needs to be pointing back at you, then with the sucker flat against the glass you push the trigger forward to create a vacuum which locks the sucker against the glass by air pressure.

Mysatnav.ie sells this mount which may also be of interest..

http://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin-portablemount

coylemj wrote: »
    What's the problem with the windscreen mount?

I guess you are asking the OP but in my view the windscreen mount is a bit more obvious for curious eyes. True it works well on glass but I was always a bit nervous having the holder so prominent. When mounted in the centre console it looks like every other mobile holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In order to pick up the satellite signals you need the GPS unit up on the dashboard, preferably as far forward as you can put it and close to the centre of the windscreen to minimize blockages from the A pillars. In practical terms that means mounting forward on the windscreen and to the driver's left.

You're right to be concerned about the visibility but you fix that by always removing and hiding away the unit when you park the car and wipe the windscreen where the mounting was stuck on to remove the telltale mark so it isn't spotted by an opportunistic thief.

• Advertisement

Fair point about the satellite signal. Guess it will depend on the receiver sensitivity. I've never had a problem getting a fix with it mounted in front of the centre air vents. Better visibility of the screen also without a bright background (daylight).

Advertisement