Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT on campers

• 08-02-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the procedure with importing a camper van from the north?

Where can I calculate how much it would be? Its a 06 so is it based on emissions? I had a look at ros.ie but didn't see any obvious place to calculate it.

Will I have to pay VAT? (or will I even need to pay VRT? :D)

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Depends on the vehicle. Over 3000Kgs unladen and VRT is around €60. Annual road tax approx €90. Needs to be inspected and weighed by Revenue people. Then for road tax it needs to be inspected to ensure it meets requirments of a motorhome. ie. interior height above 1.8M, hob, sink, fixed bed etc.

Under 3000Kgs the VRT would be 13% of value here. Need to be inspected too.
    Pop up roofs are charged at 30% of the value here. Under 1.8m internal height then it cant be registered as a motorhome for road tax savings.

Vat applies if the vehicle in less than 6mths old I think.
    Emissions aren't relevant for VRT purposes.

The Revenue site is of no use to you, You need to contact local VRT office to get a quote.

There's a lot of info on this site on importing if you do a search around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 atb

hi there i imported a moterhome last year it eas under the 3000kg i had to take it ti revenue they wont quote over the phone they have to see it and take pictures send them to dublin by email and you get your price in about 2weeks i had a 94 hymer and i paid 1,798 euros robbery but had no choice only to pay hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoghan o tuairisg

I want to convert a toyota Hiace to a camper van it is an 07LWB where do i start, i want to regeister it as a camper in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

First place would be to start a new thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I want to convert a toyota Hiace to a camper van it is an 07LWB where do i start, i want to regeister it as a camper in Ireland.
    have a good read of the requirements on the revinue site, check with insurance company that they will cover you

• Advertisement

thank you ,i will do that,must you have a high roof for the caamper

no they got rid of that rule VRT but you need to check with the insurance company as well they get all kinds of chancres converting vans badly to get cheap insurance and tax so they can be very sticky about what they will insure. Ever see the caravan bolted onto the back of van or the back half of a van made into a caravan

Thank you for that info, i want to do this the right way ,what would be your choice of van for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Thank you for that info, i want to do this the right way ,what would be your choice of van for the job.

I thought you had a HiAce in mind? Grand van but not popular in camper circles. I'd do either a Duvato or a Master , personally. I don't see the point in a bigger van like a Sprinter. If you want a Day-van, it's hard to pass either a Trafic or the ubiquitous VW Transporter

I've a 1991 jap import hiace camper and they are great but it is tirsty.

For a day van if I had to choose beetween a VW and Toyota I'd go Toyota anyday, all my firends with older VW transportes have had problems with gear boxe linkages and other minor breakdowns. Mine's never missed a beat.

I've read on a surfing forum that Traffics give trouble once the millage goes above 100k miles 140,000 km. But Aidan_M is a mechanic so he'd know more

Nissans, Renaults and Peugeot are all the same chassis and would have a bit more space. A low top Transit would make a great day van as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I've a 1991 jap import hiace camper and they are great but it is tirsty.

For a day van if I had to choose beetween a VW and Toyota I'd go Toyota anyday, all my firends with older VW transportes have had problems with gear boxe linkages and other minor breakdowns. Mine's never missed a beat.

I've read on a surfing forum that Traffics give trouble once the millage goes above 100k miles 140,000 km. But Aidan_M is a mechanic so he'd know more

Nissans, Renaults and Peugeot are all the same chassis and would have a bit more space. A low top Transit would make a great day van as well.

I have a jap import hiace which i love to bits fantastic vehicle but if I needed a headlight or a bumper or if someone broke a window it would be expensive and a lot of bother getting a replacement.

Transporter has the advantage there - parts are everywhere and dirt cheap loads of spurious manufacturers and suppliers. Linkage bushing kit for example is about a tenner on ebay.

Friends bog standard 2.4 T4 gets 10+ mpg more than my hiace over the same journey which is a saving of about 1000 quid a year for my mileage.
    The hiace d4d would be about the same economywise but hard to find a second hand one thats not due an injector change.

That friend crashed his transporter camper recently and wrote it off - he had bought another transpoter 5 hours later to transfer everything into. I was looking for my hiace for about 14 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

slight error there , it's Nissan , Renault and Opel , are the same chassis .

Advertisement