Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acupuncture to cure psoriasis?

• 08-02-2009 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I have had psoriasis on my arms, legs and trunk for years. Cortison creams do eliminate it but only for a short period of time. Sun and moisturing creams also help but the winter always hits me badly.

I heard that for some people acupuncture was incredibly successful. So I would like to hear from someone who did see huge improvements after trying this cure and I hope he would give me the name and address of the doctor / clinic (hopefully in Dublin).

Thanks to those who will respond.

Regards,
    Ceriko.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭toggle

I have never come across acupuncture as a cure for psoriasis but I'm always open to the idea.
    I know a few people that have done really well by taking fish oils and milk thistle. It really helped clear up their skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I'm making the assumption that you have already been to gp and got medical advice on this. I'm not giving any specific medical advice on this issue, just letting you know the right questions to ask when looking for an acupuncturist.

If you still want to try acupuncture then I'd look for a properly registered practitioner i.e. one that is in a professional association to ensure they are:
    1. Adequately trained.
    2. Adhere to the association code of ethics and practice.
    3. Are recognised by VHI, Quinn, Hibernian, and other health insurers.

Currently there is no statutory regulation of complementary therapies in Ireland so going to a member of a professional association means that you can be sure they adhere to the guidelines listed above and aren't just calling themselves practitioners.

Personally I wouldn't go to some places you see in shopping centres and on high streets etc as they don't tend to be members of any professional association so you don't have any comeback in the event of any complaints.

The longest established professional association and one that I would personally recommend is the AFPA but you can also find alternatives in the Golden Pages.

Finally, for skin conditions like psoriasis, I would look for a practitioner who has trained in Chinese Herbal Medicine as well as acupuncture. As this works better in conjunction with acupuncture than acupuncture alone. Don't be afraid to ask this when you're deciding who to go to.

Apologies for the long post and good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭mikekerry

ceriko,
    I have the same condition as you.
    did you try the aquapuncture.
    any improvement?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ceriko

Replying to all:

GP's are no help, they give cream with cortisone that hide the problem and make it more difficult to cure then. Psoriasis always comes back. Dermatologists are JUST AS BAD: waste of time and money (that's only my point of view from my experience, I'm not a doctor).

I eventually got this address from a colleague www.holisto.com and I simply picked the one in Wicklow St, Dublin, close to my home.

And I am very happy I went there. I'm going to my 7th session on Wednesday and I start seeing good improvements. As I didn't use cortisone this time it is very positive for me, especially when it's not the summer (the sun can clear the psoriasis). I was also given Chinese pills (on my third week now) and they work well with acupuncture (as someone above said). In the meantime I go every now and again to sunbed (when not in Spain:), I apply moisturising cream and I drink lots of water to help cure. I also reduced my alcohol intake.

So I'm not cured yet but I believe it's for soon. I had psoriasis for nearly 20 years in most parts of my body so that's why it might take about 10 sessions for me, but if you only start having psoriasis it should clear much quicker (usually 1 session per month you're having the problem, but over 6 months it's hard to predict how many sessions are needed).

I hope this helps and I will keep answering questions if needed (or tell when I am definitely cured). To finish I'd simply recommend acupuncture (and my acupuncturist).

Regards, Ceriko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

ceriko wrote: »
    . In the meantime I go every now and again to sunbed (when not in Spain:),

i was informed that this is a bad idea. apparently there are 2 different parts of UV light, UVA and UVB. one is good for psoriasis and the other does nothing. i can't remember which is which, but for arguments sake we'll say A is good

A is more expensive to produce and also not vital for a tan, it is therefore not used in sun beds. it is used in the UV lights that doctors give for light treatment

i find that cocoise is actually very good. i use it for an hour or so after football and the gym and it clears everything up, at least for a while. it's harsh enough so any sort of moisturizer afterwards is a good idea

would love to hear how the acupuncture goes though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 violets

Hi,

I have psoriasis also but am nervous about going for acupuncture, could you tell me what it was like where do they insert the needles etc. do you have to undress for example. Just in general what the experience was like?

Since you seem to be very happy with the results could you tell me which acupuncturist you went to?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    ceriko wrote: »
    Replying to all:

GP's are no help, they give cream with cortisone that hide the problem and make it more difficult to cure then. Psoriasis always comes back. Dermatologists are JUST AS BAD: waste of time and money (that's only my point of view from my experience, I'm not a doctor).

I eventually got this address from a colleague www.holisto.com and I simply picked the one in Wicklow St, Dublin, close to my home.

And I am very happy I went there. I'm going to my 7th session on Wednesday and I start seeing good improvements. As I didn't use cortisone this time it is very positive for me, especially when it's not the summer (the sun can clear the psoriasis). I was also given Chinese pills (on my third week now) and they work well with acupuncture (as someone above said). In the meantime I go every now and again to sunbed (when not in Spain:), I apply moisturising cream and I drink lots of water to help cure. I also reduced my alcohol intake.

So I'm not cured yet but I believe it's for soon. I had psoriasis for nearly 20 years in most parts of my body so that's why it might take about 10 sessions for me, but if you only start having psoriasis it should clear much quicker (usually 1 session per month you're having the problem, but over 6 months it's hard to predict how many sessions are needed).

I hope this helps and I will keep answering questions if needed (or tell when I am definitely cured). To finish I'd simply recommend acupuncture (and my acupuncturist).

Regards, Ceriko.

Advertisement