Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning!! Raspberry Leaf Tea

Options
  • 08-02-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all - first time poster here and first time mammy!! just wanted to warn everyone about how dangerous Raspberry Leaf Tea is, recently myself and my partner went to a Preparation for Labour Class (which was brilliant!) and I had fully planned on taking the Raspberry tea in my final weeks of pregnancy however it was explained the dangers of drinking this tea in pregnancy as it can lead to heavy haemorrhaging during and after labour....just wanted to share this with all expectant mums :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Has this finding been published in any medical journal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 d2es

I dont know however I wont be taking the chance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thats your choice d2es
    but I used raspberry leaf tea at the end of both my pregnancys and there wasn't any issues and it was the same for 10 other women that I know.

Raspberry leaf tea should be drunk in moderation over doing it can cause issues
    and if any expectant mother's has any concerns they should dr to thier dr/midwife.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

I don't think that can be true. My wife was advised by a senior consultant at Holles Street that drinking it 'would do her no harm, but probably wouldn't do much good either' and that he thought the effects were probably mostly in the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have heard mixed reports on it, enough for me not to take it. I know a lot of people do though, each to their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 d2es

I'll go with the advice from the woman with over 30 years midwifery experience and has seen this with their own eyes - decisions can then be made from listening to all opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I drank one cup of it when I was overdue. It did nothing other than to make me want to gag - it tastes like dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I drank it from about 36 weeks last time, and I will do so again this time.

My obs also told me it would not do any harm, but, might not do any good either.

I had a very effective labour, probably nothing to do with the RLT but, I liked drinking it anyway.

M

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Anything can affect anyone in a bad way.

d2es wrote: »
    I'll go with the advice from the woman with over 30 years midwifery experience and has seen this with their own eyes - decisions can then be made from listening to all opinions

Can I just ask if she said how she knew for sure it was the RLT that caused it?

Surely it could have been any number of factors?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Im assuming drinking rlt brings on labour -am i way off the mark? Unless you are guaranteed a pain free labour i'd be giving it a miss.

livvy wrote: »
    Im assuming drinking rlt brings on labour -am i way off the mark?

RLT is "reported" to make the contractions of labour more effective. It is not used to bring on labour, just to make the muscles of the uterus contract better when you are in labour.

I took it as I said from 36 weeks - and went 10 days overdue!!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I drank "A LOT" of raspberry leaf tea at the end of both my last two pregnancies. It did not have any adverse effects on me.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It tastes like dried grass and mud. Like embee, I tried it a couple of times, after that even the smell made me want to puke. It was in my second pregnancy, which did have an easier labour, but I reckon that was simply because it was a second time, my body had done it before.

I do know of a girl who took it, and coincidentally or not, began getting contractions and a bleed, which required a trip to hospital and monitoring for the last 3 weeks of her pregnancy. I realise thats just one anecdotal tale, but it would make me steer clear of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i know a girl that took it in last 2 weeks of her pregnancy,along with using a gym ball,she went 2 days early. strongly considering using it myself, but will defo ask my gp at my next visit on her thoughts about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was a coffee adict before i got pregnant, from 4 weeks, I couldn't stand the smell of coffee. I bought the raspberry leaf tea at around 30 weeks, just to try it. I loved it, I had atleast 3 cups per day.

I went 2 weeks early, nobody in my family, or my mum or his family every went early, everybody went well over. The only think I can say is I had no idea of my dates so I accepted what the hospital said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Necromancy is dead wrong

Old thread is locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement