Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having dogs before starting a family

Options
  • 08-02-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

I was having a discussion on a different forum about the baby in Wales who was killed by pet dogs on Saturday. One of the posters stated that her brother gave his dog away when his daughter was due and was saying this is was the responsible thing to do. It made me pretty mad as surely anyone who gets a dog should have considered what will happen when they have children before they ever get a dog. Obviously the baby's safety should come first, but there doesn't have to be a baby versus dog choice. It's perfectly possible to introduce a baby into a family with dogs.

When we got our dogs we knew we hoped to have children in the dogs' lifetimes so we always prepared them as much as possible for that happening. As a result they are unbelievably placid around children, they've been used as steps by toddlers and they just lie there. They've had kids snatch food off them and they sit down and wait to be given it back. (I've been quite annoyed with the parents of the children who let them do this, btw.)

They are boisterous dogs by nature but very gentle around small children. If I am holding a baby they stay out of my way and if I'm holding a toddler they come close for me to rub them and then look to the child so it will rub them too. I'll still be wary when we do bring our own baby home as it will be a different dynamic. And I won't be leaving the dogs and baby alone but tbh I don't foresee a huge problem.

I can't understand why anyone would get a dog without considering that a dogs lifespan is 12 years or more, and don't prepare the dog for everything that might happen in that time-frame. Even if you don't want to have children your close friends or relatives almost certainly will, so you should prepare your dog for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

iguana wrote: »
    It's perfectly possible to introduce a baby into a family with dogs.

In my opinion this can only be true if that dog has been raised around kids from when it was a pup.

We got a dog when I was only ten so she grew up with me and my friends. She did not have the patience for my younger cousins and had to be kept away.

It's horrible when people just give the dog up because of the baby but I find people like that are usually the ones who've never had dogs before so wouldn't know how to prepare the dog for the new arrival.
    iguana wrote: »
    the baby in Wales who was killed by pet dogs on Saturday

The baby was in the care of his grandmother at the time.
    older people who've had the dog for a while will almost never see the negative reaction to a baby from their pet. Just like my parents never did. I had to point it out to them myself whenever their jack russel was in the same room with my kids. Because he was quiet old at the time we didn't even consider re-training him to like kids. So even now when they come to visit us, the dog is kept well away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Just thought id contribute to this thread considering I have a pup who is just over 7 months and I am also pregnant. Due in April. I also a 10 yr old daughter. Now my lil fella is hyper to a certain extent and my worry was not so much what if he attacked the baby, it will be his eagerness to please and lick and be happy just the way he is around my 10 yr old and hurt the baby but not in a malicious way, he is trained that you can take anything (food, toys, put hands in his bowl while eating etc) away which is not my worry its his nails etc, you know pups they just want to play. Now there is no way i would leave him alone in the same room as the baby because there is always that what if etc etc. I'd be more afraid he would pull the moses basket over rather than do anything to harm the baby. To be honest we will just have to be very weary of him, he was always told that he isnt allowed in the sittingroom and will not enter if told no, the kitchen is his domain and the sitting room will be the babies until she is hardy enough. Im actually looking forward to the years of joy to come between the two of them but even with the best trained animals you just always have to be weary. I was brought up with dogs and always wanted my kids to have the same upbringing with pets as i did.

Re not training an old dog new tricks, we had our family dog from when i was say 13 yrs old so along time ago, the youngest in the house was 6 yrs old so the dog was used to younger but older kids not babies if you know what i mean. When my dd was born 7yrs later by then we had sort of all grown up and he wasnt used to being around kids. My lil one was afraid of him by then but we persisted in trying to get her used to him as i was living at home, one day he got his fur cut really tight and looked like a sheep and ever since then she loved him, pulled out him, jumped on his back. My point is he was never brought up with babies that done this to him but yet himself and herself got on like a house on fire and he used to follow her around everywhere. Never once snapped or hurt her, took a biscuit out of her hand and got reprimmanded for this and never did it again. I just believe you have to give the animal a chance but be weary at the same time. They may surprise you!!!

Sorry for the rant... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭McNulty

We have two cockers (brothers) that were around for about 15 months before Babs was born. Lots of nieces and nephews around but we were always thinking how they'd adjust and it's gone quite well.

We'd never leave them alone, even when she's in the playpen etc, but still when we're holding bab they will come and have a sniff (and sometimes a lick!) and that seems to work well. She pulls their hair or ears sometimes and they just groan and walk away. We're pretty strict about them not going on the sofa or upstairs as that is babs place, but we make sure they get plenty of interaction and they aren't told off for just wanting to have a sniff.

I think they know she's precious and part of the family so don't think they'd hurt her. It's actually funy to see them when my Brother in laws dogs have been round - if they go near her, our two jump in front and start barking them away. Also when we walk them on the beach they rarely leave the side of the buggy when she's there and bark away at other dogs too. My folks think I'm mad when I say they're protecting her but I think there's something in it.

I think the previous poster is right - we'll always be wary but they were always intended to be part of our family - it is extra work but definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I agree with everything already said on here; in the course of a dog's life, it is going to encouter kids at some stage.

Just wanted to add: training works both ways and children should be taught from the beginning about how to behave around dogs and other animals.

I have an Old English Sheepdog and I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've been walking her in the park and a child will come over with his/her parent and say "my mommy said I could ask to ride the dog"! Honestly- it happened so frequently it became a problem.

Regardless of whether they'll ever have a dog as a pet, I think every parent should take the opportunity to educate their kids on what to do and not do when there are animals around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

All my dogs grew up with kids in the house.Our Samoyed was with us for 2 years before our first was born and they grew up together so much so that my daughter was more devastated than me when we lost him.He never so much as even hinted at any aggression in his 12 years.

Now our Lab has 2 under 2 in the house and she just gets on great with both of them--Ive never seen a dog thats so gentle with the two of them.Shes never been jealous or even shown a hint of jealousy but still in saying that I would never leave her alone with the babies not even for 10 seconds.

In my opinion its down to the education of dog owners that they shouldnt trust any animal on their own with kids no matter how good they assume the animal is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

This is one of my pet peeves. Running a rescue AND being a mother and then I get phonecalls like: "Oh, I am pregnant and my dog needs to go." :mad:

I brought my son home from hospital to a house full of dogs/animals. When we arrived home ALL my dogs had a chance to say hello, sniff him etc. I didn't make a big song and dance about it. After three days he had lost his "novelty appeal" to them and they showed no interest whatsoever. Having said that, I never ever left him alone with ANY dog, regardless of the dog being my own, a rescue or a visitors dog. My son is now 4 1/2 and he enjoys a wonderful life in a house full of animals. It is up to the ADULT to supervise and make sure the child and the dog get equal attention and supervision.

And I must say, out of my dogs NONE were used to small babies when I brought my son home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

This frustrates me so much! If a person is not responsible enough to introduce a dog to a child then they are not responsible enough to have a child in the first instance. I don't think there are any exceptions to this. There is no such thing as a bad dog only a bad owner. While I accept that some dogs arent as adaptable as others there is no shortage of advice / help out there training classes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well, my wife is 39 weeks pregnant with our first. We got our dog from the pound 3 weeks before we found out she was pregnant! He is well trained and we don't foresee any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TFP

myself and the wife have just introduced our newborn to our 18month old lab - I was nervous at first with all the ifs and buts, however, the lab had a sniff, said hello and that was it for the weekend.

The dog looked up when the baby cried, sat underneath my wife's chair when she was breastfeeding, the reaction has been superb. mind you he is still getting plenty of walks in and loads of attention.

I grew up with a dog and I can't wait for my daughter to enjoy her own doggie brother !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have a two month old daughter and a seven month old son (my baby Jack Russell, Star!)! When we first got him I was wondering if he'd be jealous of the baby, but he's not! When I brought Addison home from the hospital, he sniffed her, sat down beside me and watched me feeding her, he still does this now!

I never ever would leave them alone together, but when she cries he goes over to her carrycot and looks in at her untill I get to her. It's so cute.

He's a very hyper active dog... I take him on walks with her in the buggy and he's great, although I don't let him off the lead in case I have to run after him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'm on a pet forum on Live Journal and we get quite a few posts referencing ads the poster found on CraigsList stating 'we've had a baby and now the dog has to go'

Those ads are annoying, the dog/cat/whatever was there before the baby and shouldn't be usurped just because of a new addition to the family. Responsible owners would find a way to keep both dog and baby in the family.

We've also come across ads begging for 'pure bread' dogs and entitled parents bleating that just because they have children that people should send them free stuff (can't afford a kid, don't have one). We even came across a post where the owner was looking for a new home for her royal (ball) python because the her kids were using her as a lasso.

I'm half tempted to post an ad on CraigsList stating that the baby needs to be rehomed because we got a new puppy and we can't possibly keep both of them as its too much hard work

Advertisement