Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESRI Survey on 9 month old children

Options
  • 08-02-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    has anybody else been chosen to take part in this survey? It's asking all sorts of personal questions including requesting access to the mothers hospital records. Is there anybody else that isn't too hot on the idea of this?
    cheers, Al

Are you going to take part in the ESRI survey? 3 votes

Yes, I'm happy to do so.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but i'm a bit reluctant.
    100% 3 votes
    No, I'm not happy with this.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What survey? I'd be concerned about any survey that wanted access to hospital records. I just googled "esri nine month child survey" and the top result was this thread - can't find it on the ESRI site.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

in fairness i may have the title of the survey incorrect :o
    but this is what it amounts to. my gf is very reluctant to participate especially since her medical details will be requested, and also a physical exam of our child will be carried out by somebody who is not a doctor.

i think a link to the esri site here will give a bit more info. sorry, when i posted i was more than a bit angry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

in fairness i may have the title of the survey incorrect :o
    but this is what it amounts to. my gf is very reluctant to participate especially since her medical details will be requested, and also a physical exam of our child will be carried out by somebody who is not a doctor.

i think a link to the esri site here will give a bit more info. sorry, when i posted i was more than a bit angry

Do you mind me asking why you are so angry?

Its a research study, your not obliged to take part. If you're not happy about it and you feel its too personal, you have every right not to participate. You also have the right to to withdraw your consent to participate and data you've already provided at any stage of the research process.

Similar studies are being conducted all over the world, and I think its great for once that Ireland is up to date with things and not being left behind.

Points taken. The person conducting the survey said that it was voluntary, but his attitude left a lot to be desired. That was the reason for my anger. It wasn't that i was being asked to participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

Points taken. The person conducting the survey said that it was voluntary, but his attitude left a lot to be desired. That was the reason for my anger. It wasn't that i was being asked to participate.

Well that's completely fair enough! If he was anyway professional, he should have throughly explained the study to you, e.g. exactly why they need access to medical records, what's the point of the various questions. And he should have discussed any concerns you and your gf have about taking part.

I know there's about 500 people conducting these surveys, so I suppose as in all walks of life, there's some bad eggs. Its really unfortunate though, because one unprofessional person gives the whole project a bad name. And I do think its a really worthwhile study (I don't work for the study btw:o, but I do work in research!)

If you and your gf would like your child to participate, but aren't comfortable with the guy doing the survey, you can always request someone else.

• Advertisement

Thanks VB

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hi All,
    has anybody else been chosen to take part in this survey? It's asking all sorts of personal questions including requesting access to the mothers hospital records. Is there anybody else that isn't too hot on the idea of this?
    cheers, Al

I wouldn't have any problem with this kind of survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I got a letter about this. I would have participated, but couldn't as we were moving abroad. The physical exam, from what I understand, is a simple once-over, it is not intrusive; plenty of nurses etc do physical exams on kids.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm not 100% but I think this is the same survey I participated in. While attending the out patients clinic of the Rotunda with my daughter there was a guy who had info on all the patients attending that day and asking if they would participate. The only reason i'm not certain is that it was about a year ago at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

the survey is called growing up in ireland - and i done the survey
    it thought it was fine, they measure my height and my partners and my babys and they weigh us all - thats the exam - and they spend about 45 mins asking questions - while they are personal they are completly confitdential and this is all fully explained, even the chap asking the questions has no access to the answers. he sat me infront of a laptop and i answered questions myself.
    my baby also got 2 bibs and a little ball that rattles, and just last thursday she got a cert to say thank you for taking part - i think its important to take part in things like this, how else will the goverment know how to make things better for our little ones

• Advertisement
Advertisement