Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese curry sauce recipe

Options
  • 08-02-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a recipe that comes close to the curry sauce from your local chinese.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

super valu do a curry paste called bensons and that is pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Judging by the contents of the pallets I see Chinese people dragging around the cash and carry every week, I would say that Knorr or Uncle Ben is the secret recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Wing Yip is another brand of chinese green curry paste that is very similar to takeaway sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MJOR wrote: »
    super valu do a curry paste called bensons and that is pretty good

If that is the one in the red & white tub I have seen it recommended a lot.

Dunnes do a chinese curry sauce which is quite similar.

Chinese versions are quite different to Indians (before everybody starts moaning about it not being real chinese food). I know people who would not eat Indian curries. I was in China and the Chinese guy I was going around with ate nothing but spicy food, yet had never had a curry, none of them seemed adventurous in trying new foods, and kept presuming I hated Chinese food, and kept trying to bring me to KFC & McDonalds and give me other "western food"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry#Chinese_cuisine
    Chinese curries (咖哩, gā lǐ) typically consist of green peppers, chicken, beef, fish, lamb, or other meats, onions, large chunks of potatoes, and a variety of other ingredients and spices in a mildly spicy yellow curry sauce, and topped over steamed rice. White pepper, soy sauce, hot sauce, and/or hot chili oil may be applied to the sauce to enhance the flavour of the curry.

The most common Chinese variety of curry sauce is usually sold in the powder form. It seem to have descended from a Singaporean and Malaysian variety, countries which also introduced the Satay sauce to the Chinese. The ethnic Cantonese being most dominant in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, this yellow, Chinese-Malaysian variety was naturally introduced to China by the Cantonese, and features typically in the Hong Kong cuisine. (Interestingly, the Malay Satay seems to have been introduced to China with wider success by the ethnic Teochew, which are not dominant in the Nusantara, but in Thailand.)

Unlike in the United Kingdom, Chinese curry is generally more popular than Indian curry in North America and Ireland. There are many different varieties of Chinese curry, depending on each restaurant. Unlike other Asian curries, which usually have a thicker consistency, Chinese curry is often watery in nature. "Galimian," or "curry noodles," are also a popular Chinese curry dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭StroppySu

I have a good recipe at home, will try to remember to bring it in tommorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Is lashings of MSG not the secret ingredient?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i know its probably lots of msg ect but its sooo yum

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw the dunnes one today, strangely it had no tomato at all in it, main ingredient was water, then onions, then wheat flour, had MSG too. You can get bags of pure MSG in asian food shops, aromat is mainly MSG too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irishgunner1

hello.did u ever find that curry,ive been searching myself for a while and tried bensons and the like with no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

recipe forms part of a Ken Hom recipe for Curried Chicken with Peppers:
    belated post

70ml chicken stock
    2 teaspoons good curry powder or paste
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons of chinese rice wine or dry sherry
    1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    1 teaspoon cornflour blended with 1 teaspoon water

full method

cook 225g boneless chicken and remove
    add 225g red or green peppers and cook for 2 minutes
    add ingredients listed above and cook for another 2 minutes
    return chicken and cook for a further 2 minutes

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Chinese supermarkets do a paste that's quite similar.
    Or if you're near limerick dunnes there does mayflower curry that's nice too.
    Never seen it outside Limerick :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 muffino

found this recipe for chinese curry a few days ago while looking for a curry recipe myself! Shoud be what you are looking for! :D
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/580588

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

+1 mayflower curry sauce - yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Is lashings of MSG not the secret ingredient?

no

hello.did u ever find that curry,ive been searching myself for a while and tried bensons and the like with no joy

check out my thread on "chinese recipes ask and u shall recieve"

foodaholic wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recipe that comes close to the curry sauce from your local chinese.

"Chinese recipes ask and u shall recieve" My thread on here. A bit of work involved but worth the effort

Advertisement