Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone from New Zealand - unlocked?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    Does anyone know if iphone's come unlocked from New Zealand? I've done some research but can't find any conclusive evidence. The apple website (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937) states that it is not locked but I've heard other reports to the contrary. Anyone know for sure?

I have a friend in NZ at the moment and would get them to send back if it works. Also its coming out about EUR100 cheaper at the moment with the fx rate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Sure whats the difference if its unlocked or not. They can be unlocked in 5 mins from the internet providing the firmware crack has been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Ye they are unlocked. I bought one in Auckland a few months ago. Just get your friend to register the phone on his computer with the sim card that comes with the phone and then it will work anywhere. Make sure he activates it before he sends it over. The guys in the shop will explain it to him anyway if he tells them the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

On the contrary my brother bought one in new Zealand and was able to unlock it back home.

Fully unlocked and worth it if you don't want the hassle of unlocking, which truthfully is dead easy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stream

666bxg wrote: »
    On the contrary my brother bought one in new Zealand and was able to unlock it back home.

Fully unlocked and worth it if you don't want the hassle of unlocking, which truthfully is dead easy anyway.

thanks for the feedback guys. If there's no great benefit to having the phone "officially" unlocked, I may just buy one up north. They work out about EUR120 cheaper there too.
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I've been in a couple of shops in Auckland that sell them pre-unlocked. I don't think they come unlocked officially from Vodafone NZ though.

• Advertisement

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I've been in a couple of shops in Auckland that sell them pre-unlocked. I don't think they come unlocked officially from Vodafone NZ though.

By law all iPhones sold in NZ are unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Ah - ok my mistake!

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Ah - ok my mistake!

considering its taking some time to unlock 2.2.1 and because new iphones seem to be coming with 2.2.1 (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055495715), I might revisit this.

Going to get a friend to send home. one final time, i'm taking it that they don't have to do anything to iphone before they send back. She will probably buy in vodafone in auckland so hoping there's no problems......

As far as I know, the phone should work out of the box, and can be activated in Ireland.

This information is correct as of 2 months ago, when my brother got one posted for him. Unless things have changed, it should all be ok.

Good luck and keep us posted Stream.....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭noelma

Came across this site recently - haven't tried them yet though!!
    http://www.traderteen.com/productlist.asp?cid=10353000
    There are some other threads you may need to read regarding using the i/net browsing facilities!! It can be a costly minefield!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You'll get a better response in this forum.

Have a read of this too
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055508399

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

noelma wrote: »
    Came across this site recently - haven't tried them yet though!!
    http://www.traderteen.com/productlist.asp?cid=10353000
    There are some other threads you may need to read regarding using the i/net browsing facilities!! It can be a costly minefield!

Christ is that site for real, im not well educated in the whole unlocking/jailbreaking thing, is there some catch im missing out on for those kind of prices??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Corholio wrote: »
    Christ is that site for real, im not well educated in the whole unlocking/jailbreaking thing, is there some catch im missing out on for those kind of prices??

Alarm bells straight away.

It screams scam - low prices, no credit card payments, hotmail e-mail address, payment options are Paypal, Western Union, bank transfer, moneygram.

Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I'll toss in my experience, I sold my van upon leaving Chrsitchurch and had some extra cash to burn. I bought a 16gb iPhone there as they are ALL unlocked phones and neither of the main providers (Telecom,and Vodafone) bother to lock any phones. I got the 16GB version of the 3G iPhone for $1,100 NZ at an exchange rate of 2.4 NZ dollars to a euro so roughly 458 euro all in. Have it working here on my ay as you go Vodafone sim card with not a bother at all. I have come to grow quite attached to it infact, more than I thought I would have!

just as an update, i finally got my iphone (16GB) today. From NZ, unlocked and no problems setting it up. I think it worked out about 485 with FX rate and postage.

Advertisement