Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I be sure a scope is level in it's mounts??

Options
  • 08-02-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Whats the best way to make certain that a scope is level when put in it's mounts, that the windage line is perfectly vertical with the bore?

And for that mater that the rifle is also level, ie that the dove-tail centre, the scope windage line and the bore are all on the vertical line.

Just a simple way of making sure all is correct if that is possible. No answers that involve buying expensive gear please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

Hi CliveJ,

Would this be of any use to you? http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8739&title=ANTI%20CANT%20DEVICE

Rgds,

BountyHunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

Lots of stuff you can get like the last post shows. All involve spending cash.

However, the eye is the best level.

Mount the scope loosely in the mounts , support it on something that is level and then look through it at something you know is level. Make a few minor adjustments you think necessary based on what you see and hey presto.

If you are going to shoot a lot beyond 500 and especially beyond 1,000 yards then spend some cash on a gadget otherwise it won't matter that much (unless your drunk or cross-eyed).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi CliveJ,

Would this be of any use to you? http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8739&title=ANTI%20CANT%20DEVICE

Rgds,

BountyHunter.
    Traumadoc wrote: »

The problem I see with these are that if the rifle is off cant in the first place then it's not much use putting the scope on level as it's still not all on a vertical line going though the bore centre and scope centre is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

not to throw the cat among the pidgeons but is it any harm to have the scope slightly off level?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

endasmail wrote: »
    not to throw the cat among the pidgeons but is it any harm to have the scope slightly off level?

Well the answer to that is it depends.

It depends what the max range you will be firing at.
    How much it is off.
    How much adjustment you scope allows.

So as has already been said below 400 meters just levelling it off by eye will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I don't trust the "looks level".
    Very quick is to have a small spirit level and level rifle. I then just stand back about 10yds from a large window and fix height of rifle so that the crosshair is around the bottom of the window frame, then twist scope in mounts until the crosshair is parallel .
    One has to be straight back from the window. (and hope the window is level).

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

hi all
    one trick to try is to get a large sheet of papper draw a sraight thick line from top to bottom
    place it on the ground ,
    now MAKE SURE THE RIFLE IS UNLOADED AND SAFE place the butt of the rifle on the sheet so the line is running up the center of the butt plate
    if you look down through the scope now you will see the line and you can rotate the scope to line up your verticle line with the line on the papper,
    if your vertical line is plum then so is your horizontal ,,
    best of all clive its cheap
    hope this helps

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Clive,

What I was going to suggest is to rest your rifle on a bench rest and then plumb a line down about 10ft from the scope. You should see if it is off then.

I like the other one using the paper & the drawing.

(As always, check your firearm is clear before performing this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Did I read that right Clive doesn't want to buy more gear :eek:, now I know we are in recession ;):D:D

• Advertisement

Did I read that right Clive doesn't want to buy more gear :eek:, now I know we are in recession ;):D:D

You heard right, he even now runs at the fox holding a .223 bullet head, shouting, Bang, so to save on bullets.................... :D

Man I just bought 2 Bushnell scopes the pocket is empty now.

Got a Bushnell Trophy 6 - 18 x 40. This one could be for sale soon.
    http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=bushtrophy61840p

And a Bushnell 6-24x50mSF E4200 30mm MATTE MilDot w/SHADE
    http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=bushnell652050sfp

So now you know the reason for wanting to get those scopes put on the rifle just right.

clivej wrote: »
    Man I just bought 2 Bushnell scopes the pocket is empty now.

Got a Bushnell Trophy 6 - 18 x 40. This one could be for sale soon.
    http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=bushtrophy61840p

And a Bushnell 6-24x50mSF E4200 30mm MATTE MilDot w/SHADE
    http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=bushnell652050sfp

So now you know the reason for wanting to get those scopes put on the rifle just right.

Jaysus Clive :eek:,

Nice buys............. A lot of the Queens Sov's forked out for those two...

Make sure they are straight 'n' level ............ :D

Happy hunting............

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

If you're using a bolt action, which I know you do. Why not simply line up the verticle crosshair with the centre of the fireing pin by eye. You can check the results on the range for the price of a box of ammo. For target shooting (as opposed to hunting) cant is not important as long as it is consistent. Some target sights have adjustable spirit levels so you can tilt the rifle to the same angle each time.

The hardest part of mounting a scope for me is the final tightening of the rings without moving the scope.

sfakiaman wrote: »
    If you're using a bolt action, which I know you do. Why not simply line up the verticle crosshair with the centre of the fireing pin by eye. You can check the results on the range for the price of a box of ammo. For target shooting (as opposed to hunting) cant is not important as long as it is consistent. Some target sights have adjustable spirit levels so you can tilt the rifle to the same angle each time.

The hardest part of mounting a scope for me is the final tightening of the rings without moving the scope.

I do just that but each time I look the vertical line seems to be in a different place as to the centre of the firing pin. Maybe I have to get new glasses:eek:

Can it be taken as GOSPEL that all dovetails on the action are true to the bore in that the dovetailis square to the bore. If a level is put on the dovetail will the rifle be truely level?????

Bit the bullet and bought a LEUPOLD ZERO POINT MAGNETIC ILLUMINATED BORESIGHTER from Opticswarehouse.com. SHould help to check the zero before going out to shoot.

More Gear. :eek: and empty pockets now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

clivej wrote: »

Can it be taken as GOSPEL that all dovetails on the action are true to the bore in that the dovetailis square to the bore. If a level is put on the dovetail will the rifle be truely level?????

More Gear. :eek:

Well, if not I am totally screwed!
    I was having problems with a scope on an ordinary .22. Or rather, I was having problems with cheap crappy mounts that made me think the scope was at fault. Through poor maching of the dovetail on the aluminium mount the cope was being offset to one side of the bore leading to parallax shift at various ranges.
    Clive, I think you will know everything is OK if you shoot it at various ranges on a quiet wind-free morning and the only variation from the point of aim is elevation. If you have changes in windage (but no wind) you have a problem.

Not enough gear - but getting there:D

I have just got 2 Stanley mini spirit levels. There'r about 3" long BUT I made sure they were level first before I paid out the $$$$$$$$$$$$, €6.50 each. Some were not giving a good centre bubble between the 2 lines.

Advertisement