Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines

Options
  • 08-02-2009 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Anyone know of a gay restaurant for Valentines night, in Dublin? I went out with my partner years ago, but it was so awkward, I haven't repeated in 7 years. Partner now wants to go out... but I'm dreading the staring/whispering. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

gay restaurant?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Honestly, I'd head out to any normal restaurant. I did it and didn't notice any stares or whispers. It's seven years on and people's attitudes have moved a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Honestly it will be fine! Do you not hold hands or kiss on the street and stuff for the same reason? It's Dublin, it's 2009, it will be grand.

If you are paranoid about it, of course it will seem like everyone is looking and staring because that is what paranoia does - it elevates everything to significance. I think the first time you do this it will be awkward for you, but as soon as you break past the mental block, you will be able to go out to dinner all the time and wonder why you were so worried!

Sure some people might look, but that's what people do. I look around me all the time in restaurants - oo look at that guy's nice beard, where did that woman get her coat?, what are they eating, I think i want that instead - it's perfectly normal.

Any couple is probably going to get a second look, especially on Valentines day. It's always interesting to look at couples and wonder how they met and stuff like that, ooo are they out on a first date, have they been together long - it's human nature t be nosey. So it's not just you that's getting stared at.

After 30 seconds anyway people are going to be far more concerned with gazing into their own partners eyes and knocking back the wine, then with thinking about anyone else.

Have a lovely evening out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Personally going to a Dublin restaurant where we had a date previously. If people are staring at us its only because we're hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Probably some of the restaurants you might feel most at ease in are those in Parliament St because any time I go in there, I always see some fellow gays. The Larder across from the Flounge is nice and relaxed (and if you get a seat at the back you can see who's coming and going to the Boilerhouse ;). But if I see a couple all over each other while others are eating, I'm going to wish they'd get a room, regardless of sexuality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Boston wrote: »
    Personally going to a Dublin restaurant where we had a date previously. If people are staring at us its only because we're hot.
    Or else because they're thinking "mismatch!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Or else because they're thinking "mismatch!"

Well sure it's a mismatch. I mean, you're both guys!

OP, I reckon Monkey61 is the most right of everyone - if you look shifty and nervous and imagine everyone's staring at you, you'll only see every glance as hostility. Plus, if anyone is staring at you, they're probably thinking "Who's the twitchy-looking guy in the puddle of sweat eying the exits in desperation?"

Myself and himself will be spending Valentines' Day in the student bar in Galway at a debating competition. Romantical! Eh, about fitting for a stupid made-up holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Awh that's cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

shay_562 wrote: »
    Myself and himself will be spending Valentines' Day in the student bar in Galway at a debating competition. Romantical! Eh, about fitting for a stupid made-up holiday.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, this is the first time either of us have ever done anything for Valentines Day. I have hated this "holiday" for as long as I can remember. I have never given or received cards or flowers. I would usually spend the night either drinking alone in a dark room, or taking advantage of needy and hormonal women in nightclubs. It just so happens that Feb 14th is an important-ish day for me, so it would have been celebrated regardless.

As for the original point of this thread, I've gone on quite a few man-dates recently and haven't had any problems, nor have I noticed anyone staring or whispering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

shay_562 wrote: »
    OP, I reckon Monkey61 is the most right of everyone - if you look shifty and nervous and imagine everyone's staring at you, you'll only see every glance as hostility. Plus, if anyone is staring at you, they're probably thinking "Who's the twitchy-looking guy in the puddle of sweat eying the exits in desperation?"

Never said the glances were perceived as hostile. Quite the opposite actually. Smiles, stares and nods mostly. Just makes me feel awkward to be watched. Anyway, we're gonna go out on Saturday and see how it goes. It may have been the restaurant we had chosen the last time as it was very cramped for space.

This time we're going big!

• Advertisement
Advertisement